Josh Jacobs is Leaving Las Vegas

BuffaloBillyG

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Absolutely no reason to tie up big money in any RB in today's NFL.  Murray and Harris along with Cook will be just fine.  

Isn't Ezekiel Elliott still unsigned?  I think the Cowboys learned their lesson on giving a RB a big second contract.  

For the most part I do agree with this, however I strongly feel that there are exceptions to every rule. 

Take a team like the Titans. Traditionally they are a run first team with Ryan Tannehill at QB. Their OL has always featured guys that were maulers. Their coach is more traditional "throwback". Literally everything centered off the run game...and they happen to have a unicorn of a RB. At the time that they gave him the second contract it made sense. Their best chance at winning was on the ground. Now, you can fault them for not building an offense that is more modern. But a second contract is understandable for that RB in that situation as long as it was structured smartly.

Johnathan Taylor is coming due pretty soon. Will be interesting to see what the Colts do if he stays healthy and bounces back this year. (especially with a QB on rookie contract) as he is about 70% of their offense. 

But 99% of the time, I would agree. The league is littered with guys that are productive enough for the price at RB.

• Like (+1) 1

Good for him these very good RB's need to stand their ground & get paid a bit more although i don't think the foolish money that some get paid like the QB's do is in order for the RB's a good RB & run game is not a dime a dozen scenario like the "Experts" say it is .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

For the most part I do agree with this, however I strongly feel that there are exceptions to every rule. 

Take a team like the Titans. Traditionally they are a run first team with Ryan Tannehill at QB. Their OL has always featured guys that were maulers. Their coach is more traditional "throwback". Literally everything centered off the run game...and they happen to have a unicorn of a RB. At the time that they gave him the second contract it made sense. Their best chance at winning was on the ground. Now, you can fault them for not building an offense that is more modern. But a second contract is understandable for that RB in that situation as long as it was structured smartly.

Johnathan Taylor is coming due pretty soon. Will be interesting to see what the Colts do if he stays healthy and bounces back this year. (especially with a QB on rookie contract) as he is about 70% of their offense. 

But 99% of the time, I would agree. The league is littered with guys that are productive enough for the price at RB.

Good point about Derrick Henry.  He was a beast a few years back.  And his O line was a very good run blocking line.  And Jonathan Taylor is special as well.  (We sure had trouble stropping him a couple years ago.)  

But the modern NFL seems to be a pass first league.  Interesting how things have evolved.  I have followed football religiously since the mid 70's as a youngster.  Both college and pro.  And the game was so different back in the 70's.  I have watched old Michigan replay games (my alma mater) on the Big 10 Network with my older son who is a young adult, who played college football, and he can not believe how grinding the games were in the 70's and 80's.  (a lot more physical too)  But at the time the games seemed very exciting.  I guess its all relative to what we are used to in a given era.  

I am just excited that another football season is almost upon us.  Go Bill!!  Go Blue!!

On 7/25/2023 at 12:16 PM, TheElectricCompany72 said:

Well technically like the Giants with Barkley the whole offense in Dallas ran through Elliott not Dak. So there was a reason he was given a second contract. Also Jacobs is a downhill 1600 yard rusher. That would take a ***** load of pressure off of Allen trying to win it all by himself

Zeke was very good.  But not ridiculous.  And Jacobs was excellent last year.  

We definitely need a running game.  And I think w Cook Harris and Murray we are solid.  Combined w Josh's bigtime runs, we should be fine.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:22 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

While Barkley has been talked about a ton it feels like the NFL rushing leader from last year being in the same situation has slipped through the cracks a bit. 

What a brilliantly run organization.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:31 PM, hjnick said:

2023 non-exclusive franchise tag salaries:

QB: $32.416 million

RB: $10.091 million

WR: $19.743 million

TE: $11.345 million

OL: $18.244 million

DE: $19.727 million

DT: $18.937 million

LB: $20.926 million

CB: $18.140 million

S: $14.460 million

K/P: $5.393 million

I've never understood why the franchise contracts differ by position.  If they're not worth top dollar because they play a less important position then by definition they aren't franchise players.

• Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:18 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Jacobs I agree is awesome.  Barkley...not as much.

Anyway, this isn't really a depressed era for RTB pay.  When were they making a ton more per year?  2 guys in the league are making an AAV of over 12.5 million: CMC (a unique player) and Kamara.  The franchise tender for RB is about the same as TE.  Would any team rather have a top 5 TE or top5 RB? 

The problem is they are naive or not that bright.  Le'veon bell turned down 70 million/5 years from the Steelers because he wanted 17 mil per year.  Over the next 5 years before washing out, he made under 3o million and was in his last year taking only $180k to be on Tampa's roster.  Likewise, Barkley turned down a deal that would make him 13 million a year---over a 2 million dollar difference in guaranteed money!!!

Simply, these guys are too stupid for agents to control.

who?

Cook led league in YPC. But not enough carries to be officially declared #1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah but now they're going to run Jonathan Taylor into the ground this year and other teams or the colts are not going to pay him knowing he just got 5 years knocked off of his life.

• Agree 1

It's funny to hear Bills fans still act like RBs are a dime a dozen, when we haven't found ourselves a great RB the entire time we've had Allen...

If it weren't for Allen himself, we'd have terrible team rushing stats. Then again, it's a team effort. The OC, the line, and the backs need to all work in tandem. 

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It's funny to hear Bills fans still act like RBs are a dime a dozen, when we haven't found ourselves a great RB the entire time we've had Allen...

If it weren't for Allen himself, we'd have terrible team rushing stats. Then again, it's a team effort. The OC, the line, and the backs need to all work in tandem. 

The O-line has also been mediocre or worse the whole time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah but now they're going to run Jonathan Taylor into the ground this year and other teams or the colts are not going to pay him knowing he just got 5 years knocked off of his life.

You guys saw how raw Richardson was today so I tend to think they are going to milk as much as they can from Taylor and then try and tag before they let him go.  There isn’t much a RB can do about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.