Discuss

What a coincidence:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the-story-of-the-lynching-site-where-jason-aldean-filmed-a-music-video/ar-AA1e59Wt

The Tennessee native has faced backlash in recent days for filming the music video at the site of Choate’s lynching, as well as lyrics that critics say evoke vigilantism and promote gun violence. The video, which shows a large U.S. flag hanging from the courthouse where Choate was lynched, was removed from CMT’s rotation in response to the criticism. 

Aldean denounced the allegations of “releasing a pro-lynching song” in a statement posted to Twitteron Tuesday. “These references are not only meritless, but dangerous,” Aldean wrote. “There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it — and there isn’t a single video clip that isn’t real news footage — and while I can try and respect others to have their own interpretation of a song with music — this one goes too far.”

Edited by redtail hawk

50 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

the video is shot at a Tenn courthouse where a lynching occurred.  See above.  Seems a not so veiled threat.

I am curious if you apply the same amount of scrutiny to Biden as you do some dumb country singer? The lynching was 100+ years ago, but if you gave half of the scrutiny to Biden his presentation of the white house in red was clearly to imitate Hitler. The lynching is likely not known by most of the town due to its age but everyone with an ounce of intelligence recognizes Hitler references. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Joke/Coke Bribe'em is the biggest hypocrite.  Total racist.  All the Libs are racist.  They treat African Americans like helpless fools.  Should be ashamed of themselves for treating them like that.  What a mess.   

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

the video is shot at a Tenn courthouse where a lynching occurred.  See above.  Seems a not so veiled threat.

I heard some people mentioning that on the internet…

The first thing that came to mind was- does that mean that no one can ever shoot a video with that particular courthouse because of a lynching generations ago?

And how many times have other locations, that had bad things happen,  been in videos? 

Gangster rap literally talks about killing people, and it is celebrated as art…

At first glance I thought it was the White House…What if the artist just wanted something that resembles it, so they could hang the American flag, in response to the Pride flag being hung at the White House?

Maybe he wanted the courthouse to depict law and order vs. the lawlessness shown in the video?

My point is, there are so many possible reasons for the courthouse, that to just narrow it down to 1 makes it seem like people with an agenda we’re desperately seeking a reason to attack the video…After all, the “Anti-Racist” sees race in everything…

The video was intense, yes- absolutely…

But in no way do I see it promoting or advocating for the lynching of black people…It’s not about race- it’s about culture…And, even though I’m not from a small town, that video echoes the same sentiment that I had during those riots…so I definitely understand where it’s coming from…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I heard some people mentioning that on the internet…

The first thing that came to mind was- does that mean that no one can ever shoot a video with that particular courthouse because of a lynching generations ago?

And how many times have other locations, that had bad things happen,  been in videos? 

Gangster rap literally talks about killing people, and it is celebrated as art…

At first glance I thought it was the White House…What if the artist just wanted something that resembles it, so they could hang the American flag, in response to the Pride flag being hung at the White House?

Maybe he wanted the courthouse to depict law and order vs. the lawlessness shown in the video?

My point is, there are so many possible reasons for the courthouse, that to just narrow it down to 1 makes it seem like people with an agenda we’re desperately seeking a reason to attack the video…After all, the “Anti-Racist” sees race in everything…

The video was intense, yes- absolutely…

But in no way do I see it promoting or advocating for the lynching of black people…It’s not about race- it’s about culture…And, even though I’m not from a small town, that video echoes the same sentiment that I had during those riots…so I definitely understand where it’s coming from…👍

He knows his audience well.  He's selling to them just like trump is selling to you.  He tells them what they want to hear and they eat it up. Sadly there are many of them as sampled here.  For anyone to suggest this wasn't a willfull reference to the lynching is intellectually dishonest but we all know that's par for the course here.  Simple but important questions get ignored but answered by your silence.  Who thinks that the fake electors scheme was ok if it resulted in trump becoming prez?

As I stated earlier, why is it so difficult to be forthright about opinions you clearly hold strongly but won't publicly admit.  Aldean is doing the same thing.   And it's deplorable.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

He knows his audience well.  He's selling to them just like trump is selling to you.  He tells them what they want to hear and they eat it up. Sadly there are many of them as sampled here.  For anyone to suggest this wasn't a willfull reference to the lynching is intellectually dishonest but we all know that's par for the course here.  Simple but important questions get ignored but answered by your silence.  Who thinks that the fake electors scheme was ok if it resulted in trump becoming prez?

As I stated earlier, why is it so difficult to be forthright about opinions you clearly hold strongly but won't publicly admit.  Aldean is doing the same thing.   And it's deplorable.

Did you just suggest Jacrispy is racist?

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

This. 

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

I disagree…

Again, Aldean never made the issue about race…He made it about crime and lawlessness around the country…

It is only the people who don’t like the patriotic message, and agree with the destruction of country who try to discredit the message, and try make it about race- just like they do with everything else…

However, Antifa, who was one of the main groups destroying cities 3 years ago is at least 90% white…

To quote the famous Denzel Washington- Its not about race, it’s about culture…

I may not be white, but I associate more with the message of the video and the people who support it, more than those criminal thugs in the street…👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I disagree…

Again, Aldean never made the issue about race…He made it about crime and lawlessness around the country…

It is only the people who don’t like the patriotic message, and agree with the destruction of country who try to discredit the message, and try make it about race- just like they do with everything else…

However, Antifa, who was one of the main groups destroying cities 3 years ago is at least 90% white…

To quote the famous Denzel Washington- Its not about race, it’s about culture…

I may not be white, but I associate more with the message of the video and the people who support it, more than those criminal thugs in the street…👍

It's pathetic that losers around the country are calling the top two songs on the country chart racist.  Get a life.  WTF isn't racist now?  Pick anything and call it racist and the useful idiots will soil themselves and run with it.  What a mess.    

Was going to happen eventually.  Not really a country or Aldene fan.  

No different than other Jandra's that have violent lyrics that are chart toppers.

and has a point about the crime overriding the cities, not really taking hold in the smaller towns.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I have no problem with the video. It is a kind of red America virtue signaling, but there's plenty of blue America virtue signaling to counteract it.

What I have a problem with is the underlying assumption - popular in some circles - that small towns are somehow bastions of community and civic virtue. Have these people actually spent time in America's small towns lately? I see that Jason Aldean grew up in Macon, Georgia (a small city, not a "small town") and that he lives in ... Nashville. Small town America: a great place to visit in country songs, but you wouldn't want to live there ...

https://www.usda.gov/topics/opioids

In five states, California, Connecticut, North Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia, the rate of drug-overdose deaths in rural counties were higher than those in urban counties.

https://news.ohsu.edu/2022/08/15/meth-use-drives-overdose-epidemic-in-rural-u-s-communities

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/substance-use#:~:text=Rural adolescents and young adults,influence%2C than their urban counterparts.

Though often perceived to be a problem of the inner city, substance use and misuse have long been prevalent in rural areas. Rural adults have higher rates of use for tobacco and methamphetamines, while opioid use has grown in towns of every size. Rural adolescents and young adults use alcohol at higher rates and are more likely to engage in high-risk behaviors, like binge drinking or driving under the influence, than their urban counterparts.

26 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I have no problem with the video. It is a kind of red America virtue signaling, but there's plenty of blue America virtue signaling to counteract it.

What I have a problem with is the underlying assumption - popular in some circles - that small towns are somehow bastions of community and civic virtue. Have these people actually spent time in America's small towns lately? I see that Jason Aldean grew up in Macon, Georgia (a small city, not a "small town") and that he lives in ... Nashville. Small town America: a great place to visit in country songs, but you wouldn't want to live there ...

In five states, California, Connecticut, North Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia, the rate of drug-overdose deaths in rural counties were higher than those in urban counties.

https://news.ohsu.edu/2022/08/15/meth-use-drives-overdose-epidemic-in-rural-u-s-communities

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/substance-use#:~:text=Rural adolescents and young adults,influence%2C than their urban counterparts.

Though often perceived to be a problem of the inner city, substance use and misuse have long been prevalent in rural areas. Rural adults have higher rates of use for tobacco and methamphetamines, while opioid use has grown in towns of every size. Rural adolescents and young adults use alcohol at higher rates and are more likely to engage in high-risk behaviors, like binge drinking or driving under the influence, than their urban counterparts.

So dumb.  Urban counterparts walk or have access to Uber/Public Transportation.  Do you actually read anything you write before you write it.  What a mess.    

WOKE INDIANA JONES IS TANKING, SOUND OF FREEDOM IS HUGE, DISNEYWORLD IS DESERTED, AND: Jason Aldean’s ‘Try That In A Small Town’ Shoots To Number One Amid Backlash.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/jason-aldeans-try-that-in-a-small-town-shoots-to-number-one-amid-backlash

The “backlash” is from butthurt lefties who don’t want to be reminded that they’re a neurotic minority whose days of bullying the rest of the country are coming to an end.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Fine for him to call for vigilantes if he wants, I suppose.  But when asked about it, just come clean with the meaning. Why is that so hard?  Why does it need to be in code?

A community gets what they tolerate. Leadership in communities across the country have adopted liberal tolerance on crime. No secret code about either.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

A community gets what they tolerate. Leadership in communities across the country have adopted liberal tolerance on crime. No secret code about either.

So filming at a lynching site was meaningless or random?  C'mon.  You're not that stupid.  Why do you and yours use dog whistles instead of just saying what you mean directly.  He's saying to blacks, you do this here and we'll shoot your ass, which is actually debatable.  Why not just say it?  I guess he did with the song and video but when asked about it Aldean denied it.  trump has erased any veneer of civility and just come out with outright racist language.  Why don't his followers?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

The music video’s production company, Tacklebox, confirmed to ET on Tuesday that the location is a "popular filming location outside of Nashville" and cited several music videos and films that have been filmed there-including most recently the Lifetime Original movie Steppin' into the Holiday with Mario Lopez and Jana Kramer, a music video from Runaway June titled, "We Were Rich," a Paramount holiday film A Nashville Country Christmas with Tanya Tucker -- as well the Hannah Montana film. The production company says, "Any alternative narrative suggesting the music video’s location decision is false." Tacklebox also noted Jason did not pick the location.

So much racism! Effing Trump!! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep, he is saying that. Even his defenders should admit that. (And this is coming from someone who does not think the video should be canceled.)

I don't think it should be cancelled either.  It's free speech still, I think.  Just be much more honorable (cough, cough) to own up to the intention of it.

3 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

The music video’s production company, Tacklebox, confirmed to ET on Tuesday that the location is a "popular filming location outside of Nashville" and cited several music videos and films that have been filmed there-including most recently the Lifetime Original movie Steppin' into the Holiday with Mario Lopez and Jana Kramer, a music video from Runaway June titled, "We Were Rich," a Paramount holiday film A Nashville Country Christmas with Tanya Tucker -- as well the Hannah Montana film. The production company says, "Any alternative narrative suggesting the music video’s location decision is false." Tacklebox also noted Jason did not pick the location.

So much racism! Effing Trump!! 

plausible deniability.  A fav MAGA tactic even when not plausible.  trump made a career of it.

32 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I must use the old gypsy curse: "May you live out the rest of your days in Niagara Falls, NY."

is it that bad now?  haven't been back for a while.  Lewiston is still nice.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Nope not the lyrics that are most disturbing.  hmmm....what is that logical fallacy called again?

These are the lyrics and combined with the video, the meaning is clear.  Why deny it?  You know both you and him believe it.

Got a gun that my granddad gave me
They say one day they're gonna round up
Well, that ***** might fly in the city, good luck

Try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't
Try that in a small town

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Nope not the lyrics that are most disturbing.  hmmm....what is that logical fallacy called again?

These are the lyrics and combined with the video, the meaning is clear.  Why deny it?  You know both you and him believe it.

Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

Thank you for proving that the "racism' dog whistle is all on the Left.

Good work.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thank you for proving that the "racism' dog whistle is all on the Left.

Good work.

splain...

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

No different than other Jandra's that have violent lyrics that are chart toppers.

except they generally don't deny their meaning.  btw, can't stand them either.  It's like lobbing a molotov cocktail into a home and saying "I never thought it would explode".  btw, It's "Folsom prison blues" and "Genre"...

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Don't forget abject poverty, poor education, high unemployment and lots of reliance on welfare programs.  But they've got their AR's.  I guess they have that going for them

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

btw, It's "Folsom prison blues" and "Genre"..

Yeah, some things can't be explained away by "damn spellcheck!"

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Don't forget abject poverty, poor education, high unemployment and lots of reliance on welfare programs.  But they've got their AR's.  I guess they have that going for them

Exactly. The virtues of small town America? Yeah, it's real nice if it's a resort town full of nice urban liberals in their second homes. 95% of American small towns are downright depressing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, some things can't be explained away by "damn spellcheck!"

Exactly. The virtues of small town America? Yeah, it's real nice if it's a resort town full of nice urban liberals in their second homes. 95% of American small towns are downright depressing.

Or their only homes.  oasis is pretty easy to find.  look at household income.

• Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town

sounds tame compared to much of hip hop. along the same lines though.

just change out small town for hood/block.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

two wrongs don't make a right.  Do you believe that old adage?

I don't see you or anyone attacking that music/culture.  

but your locked on to a song about not bringing crime and gangs to small towns?

• Agree 1