Good Breakdown on Bills, KC, and Cinci moving forward

newcam2012

21 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

That signing bonus is going to be like 80 million dollars, i agree it would be shocking (probably not best choice of words on my previous post) - and the trade would be immense - but the bengals have been one of the notoriously cheap franchises in recent memory. 

He’s cheap.  He’s not the biggest fool on the planet.  Brown will pay Burrow whatever he wants.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s cheap.  He’s not the biggest fool on the planet.  Brown will pay Burrow whatever he wants.  

I agree but I think where it will hurt the Bengals is I don't see him converting salary into bonus year after year for Burrow and Chase the way the Bills and Chiefs have to flex their cap. Because Brown can't afford to write those cheques every spring.

IMO, only KC is better positioned than us moving forward.   Everyone else has their issues. 

Jets with an aging Rodgers. 

Fins with huge cap hits and an upcoming Tua contract as their best case scenario. 

Bengals with Burrow, Chase, Higgins and a bunch of above average players coming up.  

Chiefs took their medicine on the Tyreek trade and let a bunch of defensive guys walk.  Hit on draft picks and are currently well positioned.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but I think where it will hurt the Bengals is I don't see him converting salary into bonus year after year for Burrow and Chase the way the Bills and Chiefs have to flex their cap. Because Brown can't afford to write those cheques every spring.

💯 agree with all of that 

my point was…. There’s no chance Burrow leaves. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

💯 agree with all of that 

my point was…. There’s no chance Burrow leaves. 

Not until he gets pissed of them not creating space to improve and pulls a Carson Palmer 😁. But yea he is going to sign a deal shortly I imagine.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure he can.  He can collateralize the franchise in order to obtain a loan if necessary.  Franchises have exploded in value, so he's got billions in equity he can tap into.

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Sure he can.  He can collateralize the franchise in order to obtain a loan if necessary.  Franchises have exploded in value, so he's got billions in equity he can tap into.

Oh he can in that there are ways and means. But that isn't how he has historically operated. I am very sceptical that he will be willing to spend cash up front year after year.

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting 

But I get Bills hater vibes

He keeps talking about 2nd contracts. 6/10 of our top 10 are in 2nd contracts . Allen, White, Ed, Dawkins, Milano, Knox...

Everyone except Dawkins has at least 3 years . Dawkins has 2 more. Little deceiving..

Only 2 beyond 2nd contracts are big contracts and are 2 all pros , Von n Diggs

Mitch and Hyde are both good contracts and can move on next year if needed.  Have a lot of flexibility with this deep, loaded roster 

Totally agree.  I think we have flexible contracts with everyone except Diggs and Von Miller (not including JA17).

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not a great numbers guy. I do know that Beane is excellent at moving around money and working the cap. I think I he will get creative and continue to do so. Just seems like the window is getting tighter. 

Missing on draft picks certainly hurts you because it allows you to have quality players on the cheap. KC is a really good example of that with McDuffie and Pacheco. 

It is important to hit on draft picks.  We can do better.  We need more starters and less rotational players in the draft.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We have fallen behind both teams, and might be the 7th best team in the AFC these days.

The league is far from static.  It's constantly changing.  Only Bills homers wouldn't acknowledge this.

For the 85th time this off-season, expect a regression year in 2023 from the Bills.

Each year on average only 6 teams get into the playoffs that were there the previous year.  We have done it 4 years in a row and 5 of 6.  I'd say that is extremely impressive and we are better than the 7th team in the AFC until proven otherwise.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Not doomed but not ideal either. 

I thought it was pretty fair. The basic theme of the article is the Bills are paying older guys bigger money and they have some serious cap issues. The final paragraph or two are what really caught my attention. 

Just win a freakin’ Super Bowl!!!

Come on!

Go Bills!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not until he gets pissed of them not creating space to improve and pulls a Carson Palmer 😁. But yea he is going to sign a deal shortly I imagine.

Cali boy vs Ohio boy.  I don’t see it happening.  Maybe

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We have fallen behind both teams, and might be the 7th best team in the AFC these days.

The league is far from static.  It's constantly changing.  Only Bills homers wouldn't acknowledge this.

For the 85th time this off-season, expect a regression year in 2023 from the Bills.

This isn't outlandish here. Not popular and hope you are incorrect. I have optimism because of number 17. The team is not likely a playoff team without him. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Most likely going to be the top paid QB too. Well deserved too. Unlike the contracts of Daniel Jones, Watson, and Murray. Lamar is debatable.

Edited by newcam2012

7 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Actually 2024 is not remotely that year, but keep fanning flames. There's still a lot of re-working that can be done ...

That leapfrogs part of the point of the piece, namely that Beane hasn't drafted well.    

We can redirect the discussion, but that doesn't change that aspect of it.  

7 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Also, you fail to mention that two of the teams that are worse off are the Jets and Dolphins.

I don't care about the Jets or Dolphins, they're not the reasons why we haven't won a Super Bowl.  

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This isn't outlandish here. Not popular and hope you are incorrect. I have optimism because of number 17. The team is not likely a playoff team without him. 

Most likely going to be the top paid QB too. Well deserved too. Unlike the contracts of Daniel Jones, Watson, and Murray. Lamar is debatable.

I get what you’re saying but you can say this about every top team-KC is nothing without Mahomes, we’ve seen the Bengals without Burrow, etc. it’s why the MVP award is essentially just a QB award now 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

One of Higgins and chase is going to walk.  Wouldn't be shocked to see it be burrow tbh.  Their owner is going to struggle to pay them all that cash up front.  

It will be Higgins. Agree that Mike Brown will struggle to pay, but he will get it done for Burrow. I think Chase as well. 

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Each year on average only 6 teams get into the playoffs that were there the previous year.  We have done it 4 years in a row and 5 of 6.  I'd say that is extremely impressive and we are better than the 7th team in the AFC until proven otherwise.

Yea unless Josh suffers major injury the Bills are better than the 7th best team in the AFC. It is still Buffalo, KC and Cincy as the 1,2,3. Now I do think there are maybe 7 or even 8 AFC teams that wouldn't be a complete shock if they were the AFC rep in the Superbowl - which hasn't been the case previously. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The issue with the Bengals is they have 4 players that are going to get paid and have 60m in cap space next year.  I would expect the AAV around $15m for their average between all of them (and that's low ball).  They can't keep all of them.

They have too many players that are worth much more on rookie contracts.

Burrow alone will be over $50 mil per year

The article exaggerates the "problem."

Late 20's is prime for a lot of positions.  I think we have a great mix of young guys & older vets.  

The Bills have the best team on paper heading into this season.  I'm not going to complain until we don't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.