Top 10 offensive coordinators as per PFF

DJB

On 7/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

Jim Bob Cooter?  Is that a real person or prank?

chat GPT created him

On 7/13/2023 at 10:33 PM, Augie said:

You missed the point….entirely.

We started the season in incredible fashion, then things took a turn. Did you miss that?  That was real, and it was not like the beginning of the season. What changed is open for discussion. 

I’m not bashing, but I have serious questions. I like the upgrades, but I need to see it on the field going forward. That is not unreasonable, and certainly not ridiculous. 

this sounds like the life cycle of my last relationship

On 7/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Dorsey inherited notably less talent and fielded a more consistent offense than Daboll had in 2021.    It's funny how some fans look back on Daboll with such reverence when they were aghast at him after some of their performances in 2021.   Like the 6 point performance in Jacksonville against the absolute worst team in the NFL.     Daboll's bad game plans and play calling cost the Bills home field advantage in 2021.   But just like Gabe Davis last impression in that 13 seconds game caused people to forget how wildly inconsistent a player he'd already PROVEN that he was........the same can be said for Daboll.

really?

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

really?

Yeah really.     Replacing the solid and versatile Daryl Williams(67.5 pff grade) for the thoroughly washed version of Rodger Saffold(horrific 43.7 pff grade).......maybe the worst OL to start every game in the NFL last year.........was a massive failure.

Williams would probably have started at RT for the first half of 2022 given Spencer Brown's struggles recovering from back surgery.   We thought Williams was a disappointment at RT early in 2021 after his excellent 2020 season(79.5 pff grade).......but Spencer Brown in the first half of 2022 was much worse.  2021 Daryl Williams would have been the second highest graded player on the Bills OL in 2022(Dawkins 73.5 was #1).

And they lost Emmanuel Sanders(and didn't replace him) and replaced 2021 Beasley with McKenzie.    1300+ yards of targets gone.  Two big downgrades.   In elevating the ham-handed Davis and McKenzie to much larger roles they only gained 500 of those yards 1300 yards back........and kept us all on the edge of our seats as the Bills then had the highest dropped pass %(6%) of any team in the NFL in 2022.

It really became Diggs and the Pips........which allowed teams to be more creative in how they defensed Diggs in the second half of the season.   After 6 100-yard games in the first 9 weeks he only had 1 the rest of the way out.   Coinciding with the Bills offense becoming much less consistent.

The 2021 Bills were more talented on offense.   No doubt.  They were just hamstrung at times by Brian Daboll inconsistency that season.  After that 6 point performance in Jax and after they took that L at home to the Patriots to fall to 7-5 nobody in their right mind thought Daboll would be getting a head coaching job in that cycle.  

Dorsey came in and raised the offensive floor of the team in the regular season by simply not coaching any of those games so badly that it cost the team a W.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Dorsey inherited notably less talent and fielded a more consistent offense than Daboll had in 2021.    It's funny how some fans look back on Daboll with such reverence when they were aghast at him after some of their performances in 2021.   Like the 6 point performance in Jacksonville against the absolute worst team in the NFL.     Daboll's bad game plans and play calling cost the Bills home field advantage in 2021.   But just like Gabe Davis last impression in that 13 seconds game caused people to forget how wildly inconsistent a player he'd already PROVEN that he was........the same can be said for Daboll.

Post so far of the off season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah really.     Replacing the solid and versatile Daryl Williams(67.5 pff grade) for the thoroughly washed version of Rodger Saffold(horrific 43.7 pff grade).......maybe the worst OL to start every game in the NFL last year.........was a massive failure.

Williams would probably have started at RT for the first half of 2022 given Spencer Brown's struggles recovering from back surgery.   We thought Williams was a disappointment at RT early in 2021 after his excellent 2020 season(79.5 pff grade).......but Spencer Brown in the first half of 2022 was much worse.  2021 Daryl Williams would have been the second highest graded player on the Bills OL in 2022(Dawkins 73.5 was #1).

And they lost Emmanuel Sanders(and didn't replace him) and replaced 2021 Beasley with McKenzie.    1300+ yards of targets gone.  Two big downgrades.   In elevating the ham-handed Davis and McKenzie to much larger roles they only gained 500 of those yards 1300 yards back........and kept us all on the edge of our seats as the Bills then had the highest dropped pass %(6%) of any team in the NFL in 2022.

It really became Diggs and the Pips........which allowed teams to be more creative in how they defensed Diggs in the second half of the season.   After 6 100-yard games in the first 9 weeks he only had 1 the rest of the way out.   Coinciding with the Bills offense becoming much less consistent.

The 2021 Bills were more talented on offense.   No doubt.  They were just hamstrung at times by Brian Daboll inconsistency that season.  After that 6 point performance in Jax and after they took that L at home to the Patriots to fall to 7-5 nobody in their right mind thought Daboll would be getting a head coaching job in that cycle.  

Dorsey came in and raised the offensive floor of the team in the regular season by simply not coaching any of those games so badly that it cost the team a W.   

Singletary as the feature back had similar numbers both year.  Moss was a bust--replaced by a much better rookie last year.

Sanders was an old journeyman who couldn't finish out the season.  Beasley was famously brought back by Kenny D and the boys----only to prove he was absolutely washed up.  

"Big downgrades"??  Beasley/Sanders combined for 1319 yards, Davis/Mckenzie had 1259.  Plus, that duo had 11 TDs vs Crocket and Tubbs's 5.

"No doubt"?  No chance...

• Like (+1) 1

Not to bad for his first year & a sub par O line . Then add in that Gabe was playing hurt for a big part of the year & McKenzie was basically useless i'd say that's pretty dam good ranking .

If that be the case this year if everyone can get & stay healthy Josh is going to strike a awful lot of fear into every defense they play ...

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Singletary as the feature back had similar numbers both year.  Moss was a bust--replaced by a much better rookie last year.

Sanders was an old journeyman who couldn't finish out the season.  Beasley was famously brought back by Kenny D and the boys----only to prove he was absolutely washed up.  

"Big downgrades"??  Beasley/Sanders combined for 1319 yards, Davis/Mckenzie had 1259.  Plus, that duo had 11 TDs vs Crocket and Tubbs's 5.

"No doubt"?  No chance...

Davis and McKenzie already had over 700 yards in 2021.........hence they only gained 500 more in expanded roles while replacing 1300.  

The net result of not having enough good options was that they had to feed Diggs A LOT more.   That looked good when he was on near record kinda' receiving yards pace in the first half of the season........ until teams finally realized that if they just took away Diggs the Bills offense would become chaotic and mistake prone because the other weapons were shaky targets.  

As for Beasley being brought back..........sure but he was thoroughly washed in 2022.   I'm talking about the quality of 2021 players versus 2022.   Beasley had been in decline in 2021 but was a helluva lot more useful than McKenzie or the off-couch version of Beasley in 2022.    Just maintaining a level in the NFL requires replacing players who are declining with upgrades.   The Bills did not do that.   They inked a terrible Saffold to replace Wiliams and took flyers on high injury risk players in OJ Howard and Jamison Crowder and those both failed miserably.    Then Davis and McKenzie played worse in expanded roles.   They made themselves worse at a number of positions.  James Cook was a nice addition when he was used more in the second half of the season but RB's don't move the needle much.

They put worse talent on the field for Dorsey.  Fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Davis and McKenzie already had over 700 yards in 2021.........hence they only gained 500 more in expanded roles while replacing 1300.  

The net result of not having enough good options was that they had to feed Diggs A LOT more.   That looked good when he was on near record kinda' receiving yards pace in the first half of the season........ until teams finally realized that if they just took away Diggs the Bills offense would become chaotic and mistake prone because the other weapons were shaky targets.  

As for Beasley being brought back..........sure but he was thoroughly washed in 2022.   I'm talking about the quality of 2021 players versus 2022.   Beasley had been in decline in 2021 but was a helluva lot more useful than McKenzie or the off-couch version of Beasley in 2022.    Just maintaining a level in the NFL requires replacing players who are declining with upgrades.   The Bills did not do that.   They inked a terrible Saffold to replace Wiliams and took flyers on high injury risk players in OJ Howard and Jamison Crowder and those both failed miserably.    Then Davis and McKenzie played worse in expanded roles.   They made themselves worse at a number of positions.  James Cook was a nice addition when he was used more in the second half of the season but RB's don't move the needle much.

They put worse talent on the field for Dorsey.  Fact.

The Bills didn't "replace" Beasley and Sanders.  They washed out of the league.  Bums after 2021.  More yards, less points and about the same # 1st downs.  It's simply not a "big downgrade", despite your wishing it so.

My views on Daboll are well documented, by the way.  Dorsey may or may not be a bum.  But your roster claims are false. 

• Disagree 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills didn't "replace" Beasley and Sanders.  They washed out of the league.  Bums after 2021.  More yards, less points and about the same # 1st downs.  It's simply not a "big downgrade", despite your wishing it so.

My views on Daboll are well documented, by the way.  Dorsey may or may not be a bum.  But your roster claims are false. 

I don't think Badol is arguing the Bills should have kept either Beas or Sanders. I think he is arguing their attempts at replacing them with Crowder, OJ Howard and a 5th round draft pick.... all of whom were ultimately beaten out by McKenzie (ie. Beasley's backup) were not sufficiently aggressive. 

It was clear to me this time last season that the Bills had not got better on the offensive line and were weaker at receiver. This year coming I think they have upgraded the OL (though no sure thing) and while they still have a question mark in the slot I think they have better depth at receiver. I'm not expecting Sherfield and Harty to be stars but I think they are legit NFL depth receivers. Rookie Shakir and Jake Kumerow were not that. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Badol is arguing the Bills should have kept either Beas or Sanders. I think he is arguing their attempts at replacing them with Crowder, OJ Howard and a 5th round draft pick.... all of whom were ultimately beaten out by McKenzie (ie. Beasley's backup) were not sufficiently aggressive. 

It was clear to me this time last season that the Bills had not got better on the offensive line and were weaker at receiver. This year coming I think they have upgraded the OL (though no sure thing) and while they still have a question mark in the slot I think they have better depth at receiver. I'm not expecting Sherfield and Harty to be stars but I think they are legit NFL depth receivers. Rookie Shakir and Jake Kumerow were not that. 

I know it's discussed a lot, but the dropoff at WR as far as overall production is concerned wasn't, as it turned out,  a big downgrade.  Crowder seemed like a decent pickup at the time--a legit depth receiver-- (Sanders was done for the league) but he turned out to be another guy who couldn't finish a season. 

The points scored, passing yards and TDs not significantly different and they won 2 more games.  Had they not completely no showed in the playoff game v. Cincy, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.