Kids in their 20s and Early 30---worse then the panhandlers on the street?

plenzmd1

I mean, wtf has happened to our youth?

Man, they think they deserve a freaking handout for every life event now

Getting married?

Let's have an engagement party so people can bring gifts.

Not a bachelor party with some golf, poker and a stripper...has to be a freaking weekend away with your wedding party! Don't worry, they aint gunna pay for, gonna invite all my lesser friends and family to a "stag" party to cover the expense.

Course there has to be a wedding shower in there as well, with gifts required

Wedding week? Let's have rehearsal dinners that run 50 people deep, photos all over gods creation, buses , who cares...they aint paying for it. Gotta be better than Betty's was and show the best on the Gram!

Now, we having a baby...a shower is not good enough anymore ...now there's a freaking diaper party,  for the fellas only , so as not to hurt the poor young couple with the burden of actually  buying diapers for the youngin.

Screw it, I am opting out of all this madness..you want to get married, PAY FOR IT! AlL of it

You want to have a kid? PAY FOR IT..all of it

Damn hustlers is all they are!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Getting married?

Not a bachelor party with some golf, poker and a stripper...has to be a freaking weekend away with your wedding party! Don't worry, they aint gunna pay for, gonna invite all my lesser friends and family to a "stag" party to cover the expense.

Wedding week? Let's have rehearsal dinners that run 50 people deep, photos all over gods creation, buses , who cares...they aint paying for it. Gotta be better than Betty's was and show the best on the Gram!

Now, we having a baby...a shower is not good enough anymore ...now there's a freaking diaper party,  for the fellas only , so as not to hurt the poor young couple with the burden of actually  buying diapers for the youngin.

Screw it, I am opting out of all this madness..you want to get married, PAY FOR IT! AlL of it

Wedding one-upmanship is out of control.   So much money is paid to throw an event that looks great in photos at the expense of an event that is great to attend for guests and wedding party.  

I got an invited to a "stock the bar party". Co-worker moves into an apartment with his long-term girlfriend and we all get to buy a bottle of liquor to help them settle in.  I could only laugh at that one.

So who is paying for it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Wedding one-upmanship is out of control.   So much money is paid to throw an event that looks great in photos at the expense of an event that is great to attend for guests and wedding party.  

I got an invited to a "stock the bar party". Co-worker moves into an apartment with his long-term girlfriend and we all get to buy a bottle of liquor to help them settle in.  I could only laugh at that one.

So who is paying for it?

Holy hell, I would be freaking embarrassed if I could not afford my own booze! 

hustlers and scam artists I tell ya. 

i'm not sure any of this is new.  if anything i've seen scaling down the weddings to save money, but maybe that trend is over.  a 50 person rehearsal dinner isn't big at  all if you have a large family.  i do however agree with the extended bachelor/bachelorette party.  there's no need to make someone take a 3 day vacation just to celebrate you getting married.  

i think most people who have the big weddings would never do it a second time around.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm not sure any of this is new.  if anything i've seen scaling down the weddings to save money, but maybe that trend is over.  a 50 person rehearsal dinner isn't big at  all if you have a large family.  i do however agree with the extended bachelor/bachelorette party.  there's no need to make someone take a 3 day vacation just to celebrate you getting married.  

i think most people who have the big weddings would never do it a second time around.  

I think most of the people having these over the top instagram weddings will find out how they want to handle things the second time around.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

You're right.   My first was the usual wedding, bachelor party, rehearsal dinner, wedding with about 150 people.    2nd time around, got married in Vegas and had a small family/close friends party when we got back.     Best part is it was my wifes 1st wedding and she wanted the Vegas and small party wedding.   Score

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think most of the people having these over the top instagram weddings will find out how they want to handle things the second time around.

this makes sense.  i don't do instagram, but i'm aware that it's about flaunting a lifestyle that most don't have.

23 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

You're right.   My first was the usual wedding, bachelor party, rehearsal dinner, wedding with about 150 people.    2nd time around, got married in Vegas and had a small family/close friends party when we got back.     Best part is it was my wifes 1st wedding and she wanted the Vegas and small party wedding.   Score

exactly.  my wedding was about the same size...maybe 170-180 max.  i have a good sized family, and my wife was younger, so she was still very much in the mix with her college scene, and god knows she needed them all there.  i remember having to give over my credit card at the reception to extend open bar.  never again.

44 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I had my rehearsal dinner at a wine bar. It was perfect. 

Our son and his wife had the rehearsal dinner at a brewery. It turned out great, it was very casual and cost us nothing. We would have sprung for the rehearsal dinner, but they did what THEY wanted, which was cool…..and cheap. 

52 minutes ago, teef said:

Both families gave the “kids” an equal amount of money before the wedding. Do you want an open bar for all your college friends? Or a down payment on a house? She’s a former wedding planner so she knew where to spend the money (the band was great and FAR more important than the food, which was fine), and he is…frugal! Because it was THIER money being spent, they were more even frugal than if mom and dad were throwing the event. COVID also helped as some states, including NC where they were married, had limitations on how large gatherings could be. The built-in excuse was very handy. 

We did a destination wedding in the Bahamas. It seems those not invited got bent out of shape, including extended family. Look, if I didn’t make the cut, I don’t care. At all. Have a great wedding and a great life together! 

But there is a party and a gift for everything! With their first child came a gender reveal weekend and a “push present”. WTF? If you don’t want to push, don’t.  🤷‍♂️ Just stay pregnant! I think the pushing will commence with or without a special gift! 

26 minutes ago, teef said:

exactly.  my wedding was about the same size...maybe 170-180 max.  i have a good sized family, and my wife was younger, so she was still very much in the mix with her college scene, and god knows she needed them all there.  i remember having to give over my credit card at the reception to extend open bar.  never again.

Our wedding was about 500 people, about a dozen of whom I knew. The brides father was the only dentist in town for decades. Once you start inviting, it was hard to draw the line so it was basically a public event over which I had no say. That was fine. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Our son and his wife had the rehearsal dinner at a brewery. It turned out great, it was very casual and cost us nothing. We would have sprung for the rehearsal dinner, but they did what THEY wanted, which was cool…..and cheap. 

Both families gave the “kids” an equal amount of money before the wedding. Do you want an open bar for all your college friends? Or a down payment on a house? She’s a former wedding planner so she knew where to spend the money (the band was great and FAR more important than the food, which was fine), and he is…frugal! Because it was THIER money being spent, they were more even frugal than if mom and dad were throwing the event. COVID also helped as some states, including NC where they were married, had limitations on how large gatherings could be. The built-in excuse was very handy. 

We did a destination wedding in the Bahamas. It seems those not invited got bent out of shape, including extended family. Look, if I didn’t make the cut, I don’t care. At all. Have a great wedding and a great life together! 

But there is a party and a gift for everything! With their first child came a gender reveal weekend and a “push present”. WTF? If you don’t want to push, don’t.  🤷‍♂️ Just stay pregnant! I think the pushing will commence with or without a special gift! 

my wife had a friend who had her rehearsal dinner at the ellicottville brewery, and the place was incredible.

i think your approach to wedding is what i'll likely do for our kids.  here's the amount of money you're going to be given by us...use it as you see fit.  it wasn't a ton, but every bit helps.  i didn't mind spending a bit more on the wedding, but i was 34, already had my house and business, so i wasn't a young kid who needed the money to go elsewhere.  i was lucky in that regard.   all i requested was good food and good booze.  i've been to too many weddings where the food was absolute dog meat.  i couldn't do that.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2

Perhaps I am lucky. Our two boys in their mid-20s got married last year. None of those issues. I picked the place and they chose the attendees. Complete agreement with their brides on everything.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Getting married?

Don’t get me started on birthday parties for these 20-something’s. They have to take a week off of week for an appropriate birthday party. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.875400f42814892bbed7c9d89c138754.jpg

I will gladly claim that cause the clouds suck! 

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Don’t get me started on birthday parties for these 20-something’s. They have to take a week off of week for an appropriate birthday party. 

Jesus, birthday freaking months now. 

hustlers and scam artists, every single one of em!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Getting married?

I’m in my late 30s….  That post made me feel better about being a misanthrope 

• Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just doing the math assuming one of these kids has like 5-10 friends close enough they’d care to do that for….  That is about 2 months of the year spent on this crap.  Lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.