ESPN Layoffs

Process

15 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Part of the problem with ESPN of late, which makes it less enjoyable to watch, is all the bias among commentators.  I won't watch the morning shows because of that bias.  Mike Greenburg is insufferable with his Jets fandom.

When the wheels fell off Mike & Mike I basically stopped watching ESPN. Golic would rein him in, or at least balance them out. I think that was the last good thing they had, and that’s been a while. 

EDIT:  Dan Patrick is as good as anything out there now, IMO. Listen in car or on phone, but for some reason streaming on Peacock recently started running one day behind. What’s up with that???  Grrr! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's exactly how it works.  It has gotten way too expensive to keep up with the increased costs the NFL demands to host MNF.  NFL and the players are greedy as heck and will do anything for an additional dime in their pocket.

Just waiting for the day for the NFL to price themselves out of more networks and they will end up on some dumb streaming platform that will kill their audience.

NFL is playing with fire with the amount of greed they are trying to obtain.  I can assure you, the NFL isn't what it is today, without MNF for all these years on ESPN or ABC.  They are currently biting the hand that is feeding them.  It may not seem like its an issue now because the money is flowing, but the harder it is to find the games or buy a service to watch the game, the more future fans you are throwing away.

Upside down Marxian economics. 

Capitalism is the problem of capitalism. 

As the de-industrialization of Buffalo shows, workers will be eliminated in favor of cheaper labor for maximum profits. 

• Agree 1

I'm surprised by how many people actively hate ESPN and want them to fail. Me, I don't care about them at all one way or the other. There are vastly superior ways to consume sports news these days than turning on a television channel. All TV journalism is going to suffer the same fate eventually. It simply isn't profitable anymore. It's been replaced by a more consumer-friendly product.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

When the wheels fell off Mike & Mike I basically stopped watching ESPN. Golic would rein him in, or at least balance them out. I think that was the last good thing they had, and that’s been a while. 

EDIT:  Dan Patrick is as good as anything out there now, IMO. Listen in car or on phone, but for some reason streaming on Peacock recently started running one day behind. What’s up with that???  Grrr! 

I agree Dan & the Danettes are fun to listen to.  The problem with most LA sports talk,  it's so much less sports and more fluff.  That's why I have to tolerate the Terd. He mostly sucks but at least he mentions Bills football weekly. I will not miss Max & Key in the morning drive.

3 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Anything Disney is as toxic as it gets.  Americans have had enough with these type of companies and will not continue to support them. Look for more layoffs and a tank in stock. 

It has nothing to do with Disney or politics or anything like that. It's just the new reality that people don't watch live TV.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It has nothing to do with Disney or politics or anything like that. It's just the new reality that people don't watch live TV.

Well, it can be ALL of these things, and some things we never even imagined. 

Oh! Looking at some show I’m not familiar with on YouTube TV (because I’m often gonna need them to get my Bills games) and they are doing a segment on the BILLS! I miss ESPN even less.

They (ESPN) were ground breaking game changers back in the day. They are now dinosaurs, the love child of the slide rule and the Kodak film empire.  The world is moving on, and ESPN has not done a great job of staying ahead of the game. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, it can be ALL of these things, and some things we never even imagined. 

Oh! Looking at some show I’m not familiar with on YouTube TV (because I’m often gonna need them to get my Bills games) and they are doing a segment on the BILLS! I miss ESPN even less.

They (ESPN) were ground breaking game changers back in the day. They are now dinosaurs, the love child of the slide rule and the Kodak film empire.  The world is moving on, and ESPN has not done a great job of staying ahead of the game. 

I agree with you on everything.  The problem is anyone with a capture device and microphone has turned the internet into clickbait titles with different videos from the actual topic to promote themselves.

I'm sure you and everyone else has seen it on YouTube.  That's the bigger problem.  They are taking others content and show it off and get more attention than the actual creators.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with protecting children. The US has had enough of these companies and their conditioning. People are still watching tv, just not any Disney affiliated ones. 

What are you even talking about? Protecting children? From Disney? I have no clue what you're on about. Avatar 2, a Disney movie, was recently the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. Disney is still a massive entertainment conglomerate.

The reality is that people just aren't watching live TV anymore. And it's only going to continue trending downwards with each new generation. Live sports is really the only exception. Used to be if you wanted breaking sports news you would keep the TV tuned to ESPN. Now you just open Twitter.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I agree with you on everything.  The problem is anyone with a capture device and microphone has turned the internet into clickbait titles with different videos from the actual topic to promote themselves.

I'm sure you and everyone else has seen it on YouTube.  That's the bigger problem.  They are taking others content and show it off and get more attention than the actual creators.

AND, right on cue, the national news has a bit about the writer’s strike. How they defend themselves against AI in the years ahead will be interesting. Will “people written scripts” be the next organic food? The world be a changin’! 

• Like (+1) 1

When you get 100,000 - 300,000 viewers to watch you per show, you're not going to be commanding an exhorbitant salary that these guys have been getting. I think it's more of a sign that Cable is dying than anything.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

AND, right on cue, the national news has a bit about the writer’s strike. How they defend themselves against AI in the years ahead will be interesting. Will “people written scripts” be the next organic food? The world be a changin’! 

I mean they literally made a movie about this!

Start thanking and saying please to your Alexa so you might be spared.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.