Dalvin Cook released.

Gregg

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Dolphins just resigned Mostert and Wilson to two year contracts, drafted a RB in the 3rd round and have a 4th RB on a cheap rookie contract.  Which one are they parting ways with to make room for Cook? 

Myles Gaskin would be gone in a heartbeat.

Cook, Mostert, Wilson, Achane. 

That's the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Myles Gaskin would be gone in a heartbeat.

Cook, Mostert, Wilson, Achane. 

That's the depth chart.

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  I for one will be surprised if Miami signs him.  When you have 2 top 10 WR’s on your roster there’s no reason to have 3 above average RB’s (possibly 4 based on how rook plays).  When Miami drafted Achane I think it quite possibly removed Cook as an option.  Standing by to eat crow.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

So absolutely no different than it has been since McDermott has been the HC. His defensive play style allows it. 

hope it’s wrong and he shows something different this season but I don’t see it. 

Yeah, I don't either.  

Here's my take on McD taking over.  He's said something about a more attacking defense which Frasier apparently didn't have.  Not sure I believe that, but that's moot at this point.  

McD's D in Carolina, where he had some very good talent, arguably more than we have here, and Kuechly at MLB, is Ds ranked perfectly average 15th/16th in his six seasons there in pass D.   His run Ds about the same, perhaps marginally better.  

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

So absolutely no different than it has been since McDermott has been the HC. His defensive play style allows it. 

hope it’s wrong and he shows something different this season but I don’t see it. 

If teams want to run against us then good luck. They will find themselves down 3 scores by halftime most games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  

He had 1400 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns last year. He's coming off of four straight Pro Bowls. He's just 27 years old.

In my opinion, he's worlds better than Mostert or Wilson. I don't think either of them has ever even sniffed that kind of production in a single season. If I was a Dolphins fan, I'd want Dalvin Cook on my team. 

I see a lot of fans underrating and underselling Cook in this thread (not you, but others). He's still VERY good. One of the top running backs in the league. An offense with Hill and Waddle out wide and Cook/Achane in the backfield is downright scary, no matter how much people may want to disparage Tua or whomever.

You may be right that they feel "set" at RB. They shouldn't. They should sign this elite running back that's about to fall into their laps. Just my opinion.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  I for one will be surprised if Miami signs him.  When you have 2 top 10 WR’s on your roster there’s no reason to have 3 above average RB’s (possibly 4 based on how rook plays).  When Miami drafted Achane I think it quite possibly removed Cook as an option.  Standing by to eat crow.  

I'm not sure I'd consider any RB currently on their roster to be above-average.  I guess it depends upon how "above-average" is defined, Mostert did OK but hardly great in his first year of starting, but he's also old for a RB.  Who knows about Achane, but until he proves himself at the NFL level.  I'd probably keep him over either Mostert or Gaskin, but if I'm them and can add Cook, who also catches well, IMO that's a significant upgrade, and he's unquestionably a 3-down RB.  We don't even have that.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I don't either.  

Here's my take on McD taking over.  He's said something about a more attacking defense which Frasier apparently didn't have.  Not sure I believe that, but that's moot at this point.  

McD's D in Carolina, where he had some very good talent, arguably more than we have here, and Kuechly at MLB, is Ds ranked perfectly average 15th/16th in his six seasons there in pass D.   His run Ds about the same, perhaps marginally better.  

So McDermott was an average defensive coordinator at Carolina, the way people talk about him like was he Buddy Ryan in 1985.   And we have massive question marks at MLB and I am a major fan of Dorian Williams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

He had 1400 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns last year. He's coming off of four straight Pro Bowls. He's just 27 years old.

In my opinion, he's worlds better than Mostert or Wilson. I don't think either of them has ever even sniffed that kind of production in a single season. If I was a Dolphins fan, I'd want Dalvin Cook on my team. 

I see a lot of fans underrating and underselling Cook in this thread (not you, but others). He's still VERY good. One of the top running backs in the league. An offense with Hill and Waddle out wide and Cook/Achane in the backfield is downright scary, no matter how much people may want to disparage Tua or whomever.

Great point!  He had almost as many rushing yards and yards-from-scrimmage as Mostert and Wilson combined.  He also had one more TD than both combined.  

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I don't either.  

So with better talent he was generally ranked worse than we are. Great. Just what I needed to hear. 

Just now, Logic said:

Mostert and Wilson: 1579 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs, Wilson was only there for 8 games too.   Wilson had 1045 scrimmage yards last year across SF and Miami. 

Does adding Cook get them more yards? what about more wins? What is the cost to adding him? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Funny the difference from when the discussion's about him coming to us in past threads.  LOL  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.