Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

First, it was 9m the year he went for 6/7 https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/ndamukong-suh-6511/

Secondly, he was 34 years old. Like it or not, age and wear and tear play a massive role in contracts. 

it was 6.5, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is it's A LOT less money and a lot more production. Oliver has never even lived up to his rookie contract, and then they give him an top level extension. Total clown move from Beane. It's starting to look like they're already writing off this season and planning for 2024 and beyond. We're going to be fielding a team this year that has equal or lesser talent at nearly every position. Unless you thought we were a guard and a 220lb mlb away from a championship, of course.

image.png

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

Another way to look at it.

DT signings this year

Simmons 4 years 94 million 

Payne 4 years 90 million 

Lawrence 4 years 87.5 million 

Hargrove 4 years 84 million 

Oliver 4 years 68 million 

Wilkens and Williams will be in the $90 million range. He didn’t get close to what the top DTs are getting in this new market.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

They are different type players and complimentary when used correctly.

Phillps is also a pass rusher as compared to Jones

One of the things folks who just do stats is that they dont see who is dinged or playing injured

It really is a big deal if you want to evaluate a player during the season

Gabe Davis and his ankle come to mind as well, no push to separate or cut

I honestly couldn't tell you what his stat line looked like last year. I know it wasn't anything sexy. Strictly going off the eyeball test.

There are plays where he throws the switch and looks like he made up his mind ahead of time, he's getting penetration and nobody is stopping him!!! Even whole games like that. 

But I know for dammit sure he doesn't do it consistently. I dunno If he's out of shape, too small, lazy and coasting through whole series, but it's easy to see.

As far as the injuries thing, that's fair and lineman are always banged up.... but if you're banged up so hard, so often, that you look that inconsistent, I'm not one to hold my breath and wait for a storm of perfect conditions that he can perform in.

Really my BIGGEST problem here. We had a year to dangle a carrot in front of him, and force him to try or get in better shape or focus purely on his craft, whatever it takes to get that payday he was talking about on Twitter.... and now we'll never see that.

Hoping he has a great year, but we stood to benefit a lot by keeping that carrot a yard in front of his face.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They had to sign him or trade him. I feel better about Oliver now than before. You can’t have a guy eating $10 million that you don’t want to sign. They did that with Edmunds last year. Big mistake.

Edmunds balled out last year. The elevated play was the payoff as sometimes certain players are gunna get picked off by weaker teams that will overpay.

Would've been perfectly content to see big Ed ball out, help us win a Chip and get the Cleveland and Arizonas of the world pay him $18-$20m andddddd maybe get a comp pick

It’s funny how not a single post in this thread references any film reviews of Ed, or reviews of his play by those who review film. Instead it’s just a boatload of self proclaimed experts on DT play mostly who know little too nothing. You don’t need to be a film review expert to find articles from those who are, or a video on YouTube. The best thing about it is it’s really hard to bs it.

Read/ watch and learn that Ed is a good DT and at what looks like 11.5 mil over 5 years, is being paid like a good DT. Might the injuries present a risk? Sure. But that’s only 2 people I’ve read… The rest of you who have decided that he sucks are laughable. This move very likely frees up more 2023 cap too, and we shall see what happens there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Another way to look at it.

DT signings this year

Simmons 4 years 94 million 

Payne 4 years 90 million 

Lawrence 4 years 87.5 million 

Hargrove 4 years 84 million 

Oliver 4 years 68 million 

Wilkens and Williams will be in the $90 million range. He didn’t get close to what the top DTs are getting in this new market.

So sorta similar to Danny Dimes QB contract..

not top of the market but still a few dollars spent

Edited by Aussie Joe

8 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

It’s funny how not a single post in this thread references any film reviews of Ed, or reviews of his play by those who review film. Instead it’s just a boatload of self proclaimed experts on DT play mostly who know little too nothing. You don’t need to be a film review expert to find articles from those who are, or a video on YouTube. The best thing about it is it’s really hard to bs it.

Read/ watch and learn that Ed is a good DT and at what looks like 11.5 mil over 5 years, is being paid like a good DT. Might the injuries present a risk? Sure. But that’s only 2 people I’ve read… The rest of you who have decided that he sucks are laughable. This move very likely frees up more 2023 cap too, and we shall see what happens there.

sorry… how are you getting $11m over 5 years?  Is the first post wrong?  

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

sorry… how are you getting $11m over 5 years?  Is the first post wrong?  

Joe Buscalia article mentions it as the likely total over 5 years since it’s an extension

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I’ll go with Schefter…

Moot point anyway… it’s about the guaranteed money 

Just in case you want to see it anyway. He’s likely right…. Shefter is more of a news breaker from the agent than a guy who breaks down how the money gets spread

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

it was 6.5, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is it's A LOT less money and a lot more production. Oliver has never even lived up to his rookie contract, and then they give him an top level extension. Total clown move from Beane. It's starting to look like they're already writing off this season and planning for 2024 and beyond. We're going to be fielding a team this year that has equal or lesser talent at nearly every position. Unless you thought we were a guard and a 220lb mlb away from a championship, of course.

image.png

Six upgraded position groups imo.  Six that stayed the Same.  One got worse.  This is a really bad post and may be an overreaction to what you deem a bad extension.

TE - (Kinkaid > Morris/Sweeney)

IOL - (McGovern, Edwards, Torrence all better than Saffold).  Morse and Bates returning.

WR -  (Harty/Scherfield > McKenzie/Kumerow)

RB - (Harris/Murray > Singletary/D. Johnson).  Even if you think it's a push Stevenson and Murray don't have the fumbling problems Singletary has.

DT - upgraded (Poonah Ford > Tim Settle).  Settle's still on the team but likely just a depth piece now who'll struggle to make the game time roster.

S - upgraded (Taylor Rapp is better than any backup safety we had on the team last year).

Stayed the same. - CB, OT, P, K, DE, QB

Got worse - LB

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So this dude you are quoting is saying $15.75m a year???

Sorry yes 15.5 is what I meant to type earlier. I’m up way too late🙂

but yes, 16th highest DT salary which is about where his film commentary seems to have him. Most I’ve seen rate him as an above average DT, and TFL’s for him reflect that too

When Ed was healthy last year he was dominant - particularly that stretch un the middle of the season. He got hurt at the start of the year and again at the end of the year and it limited his impact. But when he is healthy and firing he is one of the Bills best defensive players even if he doesn't have the gaudy numbers to prove it to the boxscore scouts.

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

but yes, 16th highest DT salary which is about where his film commentary seems to have him. Most I’ve seen rate him as an above average DT, and TFL’s for him reflect that too

What you are getting is a big discount from the top of the market guys for a guy who talent wise is in that conversation. I get it he doesn't have the pure production numbers to back that up, but he also leads the league the last two years in sacks called back by penalty... I still think the production isn't a fair reflection of the player when he is on. And the last two seasons he has been consistent when healthy. He got hurt twice in 2022 but hopefully that is now behind him.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Ok … 15.75m or $17m contracted money is not a huge difference …

Like I said earlier…It’s about the guaranteed money which will see him through 3 years most likely… time will tell if they keep him on the books  after that.. 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Really my BIGGEST problem here. We had a year to dangle a carrot in front of him, and force him to try or get in better shape or focus purely on his craft, whatever it takes to get that payday he was talking about on Twitter.... and now we'll never see that.

The Bills obviously don't share that concern.  My biggest concern is he's rarely playing at 100% health.  It's no coincidence his healthiest season (2021) was also his best.

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I wonder if this is the contract they offered Edmunds and now Dorian Williams looks the part so BB is comfortable allocating that money towards Eddie O’s extension. 

In OTA's where they can't even hit?  The Bills have likely been looking to re-sign Edmunds as soon as they could this off-season.  We know they were talking to his agent in early March based off Oliver's deleted instagram post.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Edmunds balled out last year. The elevated play was the payoff as sometimes certain players are gunna get picked off by weaker teams that will overpay.

Would've been perfectly content to see big Ed ball out, help us win a Chip and get the Cleveland and Arizonas of the world pay him $18-$20m andddddd maybe get a comp pick

You have to make difficult decisions as a GM and this was a difficult decision. They decided to keep him. A 3rd round pick doesn’t help us cap wise right now. They had to sign or trade him for cap purposes. It wasn’t really about his play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.