Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I never said "they're better than us and give him a greater possibility of winning a SB". Even if I did (which I didn't), both can be true. They can have the better team all around between all of the positions combined on the field and coaching (again, I'm not saying they do) and still be weaker at the skill positions.

I know. Another poster made that assertion. I was only remarking the quite contrary rational accounts that seemingly always end up with Hopkins a Chief. 

1 minute ago, Starr Almighty said:

I have a question for those that don't want him. Why does it matter if he goes to KC? He must not be good for you don't want him on your team.

the cap watchers are a nervous wreck just thinking about the ramifications in 2026-2028! (Nevermind $ can always be moved around and the cap is going way up) 

YOU WILL COMPLY with their budget for the Bills and like it!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobBelcher said:

It’s people’s defense mechanisms already kicking in because they believe  Hopkins will end up somewhere else. 

Got it.  I think there’s a very good chance that he ends up somewhere else.  

If playing for a Super Bowl and with an elite QB is his only agenda, I think we have a good chance.  

After some thought, I believe that he had that opportunity already- Buffalo and KC were rumored to be the only 2 two teams that seriously inquired about trading for him. It’s my belief, that a trade could have and likely would have happened…. If he was willing to negotiate a new contract and give up some money.  But he didn’t. The money absolutely matters to him.  

I think he signs with whichever team offers him the most guaranteed money.  I don’t think that’s going to be us. That said-  there’s a good chance that I have no idea what I’m talking about and the bills could be the front runner because playing with Josh allen and competing for a SB is his preference.  🤣 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Honestly? I have a hard time seeing how we stop both Kelce AND Hopkins- if he ends up going to KC…We can barely beat them with just Kelce…

Also, signing DeAndre kills two birds with one stone- improving the Bills, and keeping him away from improving our rivals…One could argue that Beane is almost forced to find a way to get him, or he’s essentially sealing the fate of the 2023 Bills…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't believe some fans are already trying to rationalize Hopkins possibly going to KC over us. It's an unmitigated disaster if that happens, period. The next time Davis drops a pass that costs us the #1 seed I'll look at our salary cap table and feel better I guess.

Davis is the new Edmunds.  He’s already cost us the 2023 season.  Poor Ed Oliver can’t even get a good job as a preemptive scapegoat.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If playing for a Super Bowl and with an elite QB is his only agenda, I think we have a good chance.  

After some thought, I believe that he had that opportunity already- Buffalo and KC were rumored to be the only 2 two teams that seriously inquired about trading for him. It’s my belief, that a trade could have and likely would have happened…. If he was willing to negotiate a new contract and give up some money.  But he didn’t. The money absolutely matters to him.  

I think he signs with whichever team offers him the most guaranteed money.  I don’t think that’s going to be us. That said-  there’s a good chance that I have no idea what I’m talking about and the bills could be the front runner because playing with Josh allen and competing for a SB is his preference.  🤣 

maybe we won’t offer as much $ as the Panthers, Falcons, Browns, etc

but we can offer a fair amount (more $ than OBJ got) if we want to

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm not sure people understand how good this guy is

I'm not sure people understand who little cap space the Bills have. I see him going to Baltimore. They have the cap space. Maybe he signs with the Jets. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He has some weird agent that is persona non grata in the NFL.  I don’t know the details but usually that stuff means it’s 100% about the money which is fine and his prerogative.  There are probably 15 teams or more out there that can out-$ the Bills and Chiefs by a ton.  It only takes one.  The money Baltimore gave Beckham was beyond stupid and someone will do similar for Hopkins.

• Agree 1

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

I'm not sure people understand who little cap space the Bills have. I see him going to Baltimore. They have the cap space. Maybe he signs with the Jets. 

here we go again with the CAP!! 

Teams who have Owners that are willing to throw Cash $ around get to play by a slightly different set of rules.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

If you make a lot of it a signing bonus, you can sign him to a low first year cap hit. Pegula has the cash to make that move. They could still restructure Tre White and a few others to create cap space. They could trade Ed Oliver. If they want to get him, they can do it.

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the cap watchers are a nervous wreck just thinking about the ramifications in 2026-2028! (Nevermind $ can always be moved around and the cap is going way up) 

YOU WILL COMPLY with their budget for the Bills and like it!

If the cost of winning a championship is a cap issue and a couple losing seasons in 3 years then I'm on board with that scenario.  

We're past settling for 12 win seasons and a playoff game or two ending with some coaching gaffe or some one in a million type play to end the game.  The window is open now.  Go for it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

maybe we won’t offer as much $ as the Panthers, Falcons, Browns, etc

but we can offer a fair amount (more $ than OBJ got) if we want to

What’s a fair amount more than that? 18-20 mill?  Obj got 15-18.  

other teams may be inclined to guarantee him 25-30M 

I could see the jets- already seeing this as all in for 2 years- guarantees him 20-25M over 2 seasons-  

they can cut Corey Davis on the spot and save around 11M.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I could see the jets- already seeing this as all in for 2 years- guarantees him 20-25M over 2 seasons-  

we can offer 28 mil guaranteed (see Cover 1’s breakdown)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah, but we're talking about teams with a shot at the SB :P

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He will go where the most money is. By the way, has anyone else been tracking this?

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-rumors-deandre-hopkins-contract-saint-omni-free-agent

if this connection is true, you can pretty much rule out the Bills IMO.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.