Jim Brown dead at 87

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Trying to understand the point of posting stuff like this after the announcement of someone’s death. Very scummy thing to do.

Alit from your high horse. The guy had anger issues.  Very well documented.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

I remember reading how when Jim Brown started his career, the Browns O line was not good.  Brown would just put his head down and try to grind out whatever he could get.  Then someone actually opened a hole for him, and he fell down forward because he wasn't expecting the lack of resistance.  After that the line got better and so did he.  

The story is that when Brown joined the Browns, it was very much an old-boys club.  White old-boys.  A lot of the players were friendly with the veteran, Ed Modzelewski, the starter at fullback the previous two seasons.   They didn't like the idea that some rookie wanted to take Ed's job, a Black rookie at that.  In training camp, the offensive line blocked better for Mo than for Brown.  After a while, several defenders said, "hey, even if you don't block for Brown, we can't tackle him."  The vets decided to put friendship aside, and Brown became the starter.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The story is that when Brown joined the Browns, it was very much an old-boys club.  White old-boys.  A lot of the players were friendly with the veteran, Ed Modzelewski, the starter at fullback the previous two seasons.   They didn't like the idea that some rookie wanted to take Ed's job, a Black rookie at that.  In training camp, the offensive line blocked better for Mo than for Brown.  After a while, several defenders said, "hey, even if you don't block for Brown, we can't tackle him."  The vets decided to put friendship aside, and Brown became the starter.  

Spot on

Video on this exact same thing

https://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life-how-jim-brown-dealt-with-racial-discrimination-63446

On 5/20/2023 at 9:22 AM, StHustle said:

Trying to understand the point of posting stuff like this after the announcement of someone’s death. Very scummy thing to do.

Why? If its the truth its the truth. 

After OJ dies, are we not supposed to talk about the murder of two people anymore?

No person is perfect. Our heros are not perfect people. They can still be revered for all they accomplish but death doesn't erase all aspects good and bad of their lives.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why? If its the truth its the truth. 

After OJ dies, are we not supposed to talk about the murder of two people anymore?

No person is perfect. Our heros are not perfect people. They can still be revered for all they accomplish but death doesn't erase all aspects good and bad of their lives.

Bro if you don’t get why it would be in bad taste that if YOUR death was reported on this forum, and someone who knew you came in and posted about all your failures and mistakes you made in life, then I don’t know what to tell you. I would defend you in the same way. He is a human who has passed.

He also has done tons of great things while on this earth. He is one of the most overall accomplished pro athletes in history. Yet someone feels the need to come and highlight the negative aspects in his 87 years of life. Just not the time to do something like that. It’s in very poor taste.

• Eyeroll 1

You know how many times HE along with others on that team talked about how things were within that era of football? You think he or those team mates would want us to forget?  That is the last think they would want.  I do not want to get to deep into the topic cause as much as I feel it is always time to raise awareness? This is not the place.

I truly get what your saying, I really do. BUT. History should never be forgotten about. they would want us to learn from mistakes from others. 

it is what it is. 

• Eyeroll 1

The guy is being lionized everywhere right now, and not just for his play.  In real life, he beat women, was accused of raping them, perhaps tried to kill one, treated his wife badly, even did a night in jail for choking out his golf partner.  In his dealings with individual people he was close to, he was an a-hole.  This is all well documented and consistent through his life ----absolutely can be appropriately  mentioned in an RIP thread.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:02 PM, Thurman#1 said:

Nah.

Jim Brown was Jim Brown with training methods from the '50s. Today he would be a ton better than he was back then.

He might not have been quite as dominant, but still extremely.

He may have been the greatest ever, but he was a man playing amongst boys. Who knows how he would fare vs current front 7's and modern schemes devised to stop him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think it’s “scummy” to provide a well-rounded view of someone.  There are many, many people in history considered to be “great” who also struggled with their own demons.  It’s human nature.

We should all understand that humans are complex, multi-faceted beings.  It’s ok to recognize all of Jim Brown’s legendary greatness while also acknowledging his struggles.

Back on point — my dad always said Brown was the best player he’d ever seen.  I greatly respect that he used his fame in an effort to better the lives of others.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t think it’s “scummy” to provide a well-rounded view of someone.  There are many, many people in history considered to be “great” who also struggled with their own demons.  It’s human nature.

We should all understand that humans are complex, multi-faceted beings.  It’s ok to recognize all of Jim Brown’s legendary greatness while also acknowledging his struggles.

Back on point — my dad always said Brown was the best player he’d ever seen.  I greatly respect that he used his fame in an effort to better the lives of others.

I responded to a person that made a post strictly highlighting Jim Browns shortcomings. They said nothing positive. They entered an RIP thread and made a point to highlight the negative things he's been involved in during his life. 

These players are human. Let's say you passed away eball...and a thread was made to tell everyone. Then someone who knows your history comes in and makes a post saying how "eball was arrested for DWI when he was 23. He got caught cheating on his girl when he was 25. He got into a fight at a bar two different times. He was fired from one of his jobs for being late too many times"

You don't see what I mean??? What is the point of attacking a guys character when they're dead? You're intentionally trying to throw dirt on their memory and for what good reason? Jim Brown was very beloved and highly respected. He has done way more good than bad. Like not even close. Attacking someone like thats character after death comes across as scummy and haterish to me. It's not in good taste and is pointless. That my opinion.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

eball was arrested for DWI when he was 23. He got caught cheating on his girl when he was 25. He got into a fight at a bar two different times. He was fired from one of his jobs for being late too many times

Have you been talking to my shrink?

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I responded to a person that made a post strictly highlighting Jim Browns shortcomings. They said nothing positive. They entered an RIP thread and made a point to highlight the negative things he's been involved in during his life. 

These players are human. Let's say you passed away eball...and a thread was made to tell everyone. Then someone who knows your history comes in and makes a post saying how "eball was arrested for DWI when he was 23. He got caught cheating on his girl when he was 25. He got into a fight at a bar two different times. He was fired from one of his jobs for being late too many times"

You don't see what I mean??? What is the point of attacking a guys character when they're dead? You're intentionally trying to throw dirt on their memory and for what good reason? Jim Brown was very beloved and highly respected. He has done way more good than bad. Like not even close. Attacking someone like thats character after death comes across as scummy and haterish to me. It's not in good taste and is pointless. That my opinion.

Chill, man!

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

No one is attacking his character, nor throwing dirt on it---Jim Brown did that all by himself for much of his adult life.  In public,  the persona you mention is the one he was keen to cultivate.  In private, He treated people close to him badly (to put it very mildly).  If you insist on memorializing him, this is part of that memorial.  No one did thsi to Brown.  This is the life he led.  Simply mentioning it isn't an "attack".

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.