Rookie Minicamp

Dr Krentist

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s funny how much we hate an OC that finished with the number 2 offense in the NFL. Especially considering it was his first season as OC and we hated our RB’s, OL, and WR’s as well.

lol. Gotta love fans and media.

Stats.  Everyone loves to talk about the stats. Look at the stats for the first half of the season.  Look at the stats for the 2nd half. Looks at the stats in the playoffs.  Look at the stats for the Cinci game.  

you have eyes. I have eyes. My eyes tell me that our offense wasn’t nearly as good down the stretch.  Partly due to Josh’s injuries. No doubt.  

There’s a reason that the Bills were the NFL darlings last offseason and the SB bowl favorite.  It wasn’t because of our defense.  It was because everyone remembered Josh Allen unleashing in the playoffs last season. Our offense wasn’t that last year.  You know it.  I know it Everyone knows it.  

yet you got it. Talk about all the stats you want.  Our offense was less than what we had hoped for last season.  Partly due to Ken Dorsey 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Stats.  Everyone loves to talk about the stats. Look at the stats for the first half of the season.  Look at the stats for the 2nd half. Looks at the stats in the playoffs.  Look at the stats for the Cinci game.  

you have eyes. I have eyes. My eyes tell me that our offense wasn’t nearly as good down the stretch.  Partly due to Josh’s injuries. No doubt.  

There’s a reason that the Bills were the NFL darlings last offseason and the SB bowl favorite.  It wasn’t because of our defense.  It was because everyone remembered Josh Allen unleashing in the playoffs last season. Our offense wasn’t that last year.  You know it.  I know it Everyone knows it.  

yet you got it. Talk about all the stats you want.  Our offense was less than what we had hoped for last season.  Partly due to Ken Dorsey 

I look at redzone in the 2nd half. Went from 22nd week 10/11 to 10th by the end of the year.

I also know our QB was injured. I also watched a worse offense in 2021 regular season. I also remember having to defend Daboll on this message board.

They definitely struggled but they also faced good defenses. Had a QB with torn UCL. No slot WRs. Gabe Davis fighting himself.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3

The biggest takeaway for me was that O'Cyrus Torrence got work at both guard positions.

Not that I'm surprised because all NFL teams value positional versatility and in fact require it due to the number of O-linemen who typically dress each week.

That said, I was wondering if the Bills would glue him to the right side just to enhance his proficiency at that spot... to accelerate his development into an opening day starter.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The biggest takeaway for me was that O'Cyrus Torrence got work at both guard positions.

Not that I'm surprised because all NFL teams value positional versatility and in fact require it due to the number of O-linemen who typically dress each week.

That said, I was wondering if the Bills would glue him to the right side just to enhance his proficiency at that spot... to accelerate his development into an opening day starter.

Beane said he’ll get work at both positions but he said they do that with everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane said he’ll get work at both positions but he said they do that with everyone.

Yes, it'll really be a matter of degree.

I'm guessing he's not gonna get much work on the left side... less cross training than the other guards I think.

11 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:
4 hours ago, eball said:

I think Dorsey deserves a pass for last season.  The OL was shite.  We still scored almost at will until Cinci.  I’m very excited to see this offense.

Well it’s on Josh or Ken from last year because we all knew the OL was crap why not play a quick game and get the ball out fast and early on slants, In, curls etc

Instead we did all verts which leads me to believe that it’s mostly Ken’s fault and not Josh

Edited by DJB
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I thought he looked a little slow - he did mention that he was rusty

What impressed me is how smooth he seemed, like @Buffalo_Stampede said no wasted movement.  And the hands looke nice.

He seemed a little slow in game film too. I don't think he is slow, but the way he runs looks that way. And compared to the smaller WRs, the burners, he is slow. It'll be different with LBs. I agree he looks smooth. Again, looked that way in game film too, IMO.

Parrino said he was surprised that O'Cyrus didn't look as big as he'd thought he would. In that film, I'd agree. He didn't look much bigger than the coach. Was that Kromer?

OP, fun to see them at camp. Thanks for posting.

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

IMO the defense was what wasn't nearly as good down the stretch. After Von went down, the whole team just didn't look nearly as good. Hyde also made a huge difference, as did the others, and Da'Quan missing the Bengals game was huge. The D was a huge part of our being offseason darlings and SB faves. So was the offense, don't get me wrong. But you can't leave out the D, or the D with Von healthy anyway.

And  yeah, "partly" due to Ken Dorsey is fair enough. But it looked to me like Allen was never right after the injury, and that that was a major part of the offense's problem late. 

But the offense late and the offense in the Bengals game were two entirely different things. Sure looked to me like not a single player out there had a good game on offense. And few on D, though that Milano play in the end zone stripping the ball out gave me hope for a minute or five. The coaches deserve their share of the blame as well, but the players did not play well.

23 minutes ago, DJB said:

Well it’s on Josh or Ken from last year because we all knew the OL was crap why not play a quick game and get the ball out fast and early on slants, In, curls etc

Instead we did all verts which leads me to believe that it’s mostly Ken’s fault and not Josh

We were told that it was precisely short passes that caused Allen pain from the injury. He said it was much easier on the injured arm to throw long, and that he wasn't as accurate short

So I agree that we did seem to avoid the short game, and it hurt us. But I don't think we can put that all on Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DJB said:

Well it’s on Josh or Dorsey from last year because we all knew the OL was crap why not play a quick game and get the ball out fast and early on slants, In, curls etc

It's really hard to say who's at fault for Josh ignoring the layups and going for 3 pointers.

There's one theory that his elbow injury was more painful when throwing short.

There's another theory that Daboll was more persuasive than Dorsey in convincing Josh to take the layups.

At any rate, the Bills offense definitely needs to take the sure gains at a higher percentage than they did last year, IMO.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 1

The USC PAC 12 Championship game is all you need to know about Kincaid’s route running ability, hands and dare I say toughness. He was uncoverable and everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball. I also feel he has high intelligence based on his interview responses. Don’t want to compare to Kelsey but, dang, it’s there. Bills have never had a TE prospect like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I look at redzone in the 2nd half. Went from 22nd week 10/11 to 10th by the end of the year.

I also know our QB was injured. I also watched a worse offense in 2021 regular season. I also remember having to defend Daboll on this message board.

They definitely struggled but they also faced good defenses. Had a QB with torn UCL. No slot WRs. Gabe Davis fighting himself.

And an OC that ran an offense with no identity.  

Why’d we draft a James Cook? Why’d we trade for Hines?  Why’d we pay Dawson Knox 13M a year?   Dorsey failed to take anything off of Josh's plate. He was supposed to alleviate some of the pressure.  Instead, we saw him take on more of the load that ever.  With a partially torn UCL.  

Dorsey is the OC of an established all time QB/WR combos. Of course they’re going to score points during the regular season.  They did that without an identity other than- Josh doing everything.  

That said- I’m not saying he’s bad, I’m just not going to give him another year if our offense resembles what we saw last year.  Good….. but it should be amazing.  

now he has Kincaid.  My #1 draft crush.  A do it all Swiss Army knife at his disposal. Hopefully he uses him properly

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO the defense was what wasn't nearly as good down the stretch. After Von went down, the whole team just didn't look nearly as good. Hyde also made a huge difference, as did the others, and Da'Quan missing the Bengals game was huge. The D was a huge part of our being offseason darlings and SB faves. So was the offense, don't get me wrong. But you can't leave out the D, or the D with Von healthy anyway.

And  yeah, "partly" due to Ken Dorsey is fair enough. But it looked to me like Allen was never right after the injury, and that that was a major part of the offense's problem late. 

But the offense late and the offense in the Bengals game were two entirely different things. Sure looked to me like not a single player out there had a good game on offense. And few on D, though that Milano play in the end zone stripping the ball out gave me hope for a minute or five. The coaches deserve their share of the blame as well, but the players did not play well.

We were told that it was precisely short passes that caused Allen pain from the injury. He said it was much easier on the injured arm to throw long, and that he wasn't as accurate short

So I agree that we did seem to avoid the short game, and it hurt us. But I don't think we can put that all on Dorsey.

I agree-  the D was an issue.  Mainly due to injuries. The O wasn’t missing a handful of their best players. 

Allen also didn’t look right before the injury. He was off the entire 2nd half of the packers game and the entire Jets game (he got hurt late in that game).   

I’m definitely not putting everything on Dorsey…. I just don’t trust him yet.  I’m not sold.  I wasn’t happy with the way he used some of our players- Knox and Cook to name 2.  I was hoping he’d get cook more involved in the pass game.  That’s why we drafted him.  To be fair, Cook failed as a receiver early on, but I thought that would encourage Dorsey to get him on track.  Knox….. he was criminally underutilized imo.  He’s a dam good we’ll rounded TE that’s relegated to being a red zone threat who’s forgotten the other 80 yards of the field while he blocks.  Which is partly on Beane for putting Spencer brown out there as our only RT.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m hesitant to rave about his hands because we had a WR that had the best hands in college football. His name was Josh Reed. He couldn’t catch a cold in the NFL.

We also had a WR who led the nation in receptions named Zay Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And an OC that ran an offense with no identity.  

Why’d we draft a James Cook? Why’d we trade for Hines?  Why’d we pay Dawson Knox 13M a year?   Dorsey failed to take anything off of Josh's plate. He was supposed to alleviate some of the pressure.  Instead, we saw him take on more of the load that ever.  With a partially torn UCL.  

Dorsey is the OC of an established all time QB/WR combos. Of course they’re going to score points during the regular season.  They did that without an identity other than- Josh doing everything.  

That said- I’m not saying he’s bad, I’m just not going to give him another year if our offense resembles what we saw last year.  Good….. but it should be amazing.  

now he has Kincaid.  My #1 draft crush.  A do it all Swiss Army knife at his disposal. Hopefully he uses him properly

As for the OC criticism, couple ways to dice it: consensus among analysts/commentators seems to be that in the 2nd half of the season there WERE often shorter/quicker/underneath routes available to Allen on many of his unsuccessful deeper throws; the essential question then becomes unanswerable for us fans: was it play design (predictable coaching) or QB tendency (player processing regression) that dictated all those (mostly unsuccessful) deep shots against aggressive man-pressure looks (oftentimes on 3rd and short/medium)? If Knox and Hynes and Cook and whoever else were actually open for chain-moving gains, was it Josh or Dorsey who were so easily manipulated into instead tossing up lower percentage throws to single-covered WRs down the field? 

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Dorsey’s problem was he was just too predictable. His offense was very very basic and essentially one dimensional. He had a statistically good offense but when he ran into teams with the defensive personnel to match the Bills offense he has literally no answers other than here Josh go run around and make a play. Hopefully with his new pieces and an entire off season he can put together a more complex offense. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/13/2023 at 3:46 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m hesitant to rave about his hands because we had a WR that had the best hands in college football. His name was Josh Reed. He couldn’t catch a cold in the NFL.

PFF discusses our Draft picks, grades the Draft as an A

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

As for the OC criticism, couple ways to dice it: consensus among analysts/commentators seems to be that in the 2nd half of the season there WERE often shorter/quicker/underneath routes available to Allen on many of his unsuccessful deeper throws; the essential question then becomes unanswerable for us fans: was it play design (predictable coaching) or QB tendency (player processing regression) that dictated all those (mostly unsuccessful) deep shots against aggressive man-pressure looks (oftentimes on 3rd and short/medium)? If Knox and Hynes and Cook and whoever else were actually open for chain-moving gains, was it Josh or Dorsey who were so easily manipulated into instead tossing up lower percentage throws to single-covered WRs down the field? 

Great point.  

i think it was a bit of both and probably more Josh wanting the big play than Dorsey.  Ultimately, it’s Dorsey’s offense and it’s his responsibility to make sure that his QB runs what he likes.  X’s and O’s are the primary concern of the coordinators but we all know there’s more to that job than just calling plays.  

like you said, he was too predictable and one dimensional.  I don’t think Josh would be in position to take the lower percentage deep ball nearly as much as he was, if our offensive system was more efficient.  Partly on Josh.  Partly on Dorsey.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.