Commanders officially agree to sell to Josh Harris' group for $6 Billion

Big Turk

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Maybe, but it’s the entire Rocky Mountain region, including at least six states…

It’s more than location…

The location factor is huge, as the east coast market is always coveted, but I think we’re just at the point where the price just keeps increasing with each franchise sold. 

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, Mr. WEO said:

none of this is true.  they are are #9 in revenue despite everything

yea they still make a lot of money.  Their fan base is mostly gone and lethargic.

They have had empty upper decks for 3 seasons.  They have gone from decades long waiting lists for season tickets to barely filling their stadium and only really doing it if the visiting team is a draw of some kind.  

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea they still make a lot of money.  Their fan base is mostly gone and lethargic.

They have had empty upper decks for 3 seasons.  They have gone from decades long waiting lists for season tickets to barely filling their stadium and only really doing it if the visiting team is a draw of some kind.  

teams make a fraction of their revenue at the gate.  Empty seats haven’t really dented their top 10 revenue

4 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The team is heavily marketing to visiting team fans so making money at gate is more important than home field advantage.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:49 PM, mannc said:

And Utah and Colorado, not sparsely populated…

I drove across 3/4 of Utah and once I left Salt Lake City proper I saw about 15 people and some goats for a couple hours. Then I got to a town with about 10k people, turned left, and then didn't see a soul for a couple more hours until I got to a "big" town in Wyoming with about 24k people. Keep in mind this is using some pretty main roads. US-40, US 191. Not like a dirt road through the wilderness.  Point being, you could have gotten WAY further out into the boonies than I actually went. 

There is a whole bunch of Colorado that has basically no people. Figure, most of Colorado in varying degrees except for the strip on I-25 from roughly Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins.  Get to the Eastern edge of Denver, out by the airport, and look east. That's an awful lot of dead flat, empty Colorado just laying in front of you all the way to Nebraska. That was one of the things that struck me about Denver actually.  The city doesn't gradually fade into rural area like lots of places do, it just stops. City, busy suburb, nothing.

I also drove from Mt. Rushmore to Cheyenne on that trip. If you've never actually been there it's difficult to explain the utter lack of anything that's there.  The drive was about 250 miles, most of it was not on the Interstate, and there were EXTREMELY long periods of time where there was nothing but grassland.  The roads were all 2 lanes with speed limits of 70mph and very few cars. We drove through a town, hand to God, population 6. There were two houses and a bar. That was it.  It made the drive from Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore seem busy by comparison because at least that route had a couple decent sized towns along the way (Cody, Buffalo, WY, etc.) Cutting across, away from the Interstate, and away from the tourist path gave an amazing perspective.  Then we took a tour of a decommissioned Minuteman Alert Station which was just cool AF and is highly recommended if you happen to be near Cheyenne. Right off I-25, hidden in plain sight behind a chain link fence and under a very non-descript yellow building. Overall point. Lots of land, lots of grassland or scrub desert and not very many people or even buildings.  You can be anywhere on the East coast and never be really that far away from some sort of town. It's might be small and it might be 10-15 miles away, but it's nothing like out there where it's a legitimate hour between tiny towns with nothing but ranches or open grassland in between.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.