UEFA Championship Bills related

SoCal Deek

Turned on the semi-finals of the UEFA soccer tournament on CBS just now. The match features two famous clubs, Manchester City versus Real Madrid, and in making an analogy for Man City the announcer mentions the fact that likewise the Buffalo Bills have never won the Super Bowl. I mean, really? Ugh! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Being compared to Manchester City is a good thing. It’s the best soccer team in the world and the favourite to win the Champions League this season. If the Bills are the Man City of the NFL I’m more than fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

Being compared to Manchester City is a good thing. It’s the best soccer team in the world and the favourite to win the Champions League this season. If the Bills are the Man City of the NFL I’m more than fine with it. 

I don’t disagree…but can they leave the poor Bills out of it. 😂 (How about the Vikings for a change?)

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Turned on the semi-finals of the UEFA soccer tournament on CBS just now. The match features two famous clubs, Manchester City versus Real Madrid, and in making an analogy for Man City the announcer mentions the fact that likewise the Buffalo Bills have never won the Super Bowl. I mean, really? Ugh! 

The Bills have been fighting for the Super Bowl longer than Manchester City have been competing in the Champions League.

That's not really making things better, is it?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Fake. Fake. Fake.

Hala Madrid!

36 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t disagree…but can they leave the poor Bills out of it. 😂 (How about the Vikings for a change?)

The Vikings aren't an elite team, though.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

As a longtime Arsenal fan, I am not sure I want to be compared to Man City. Great team with a great coach, but they also have been accused of violating FFP.

If it’s of any consolation they were comparing Man City to the Bills, not the Bills to Man City. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Sadly, I worry that the Bills are destined to be Arsenal.  Fun to watch and right there in contention, but too much of a tendency to under-deliver in big moments.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

As a longtime Arsenal fan, I am not sure I want to be compared to Man City. Great team with a great coach, but they also have been accused of violating FFP.

I'm an Arsenal fan too.  What was your favorite moment in the past month or so?  The part where they blew a two goal lead against Liverpool?  Or the one where they blew a two goal lead against West Ham?  Or was it getting stomped by City?

Why do I root for underperforming football clubs?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Sadly, I worry that the Bills are destined to be Arsenal.  Fun to watch and right there in contention, but too much of a tendency to under-deliver in big moments.

I'm an Arsenal fan too.  What was your favorite moment in the past month or so?  The part where they blew a two goal lead against Liverpool?  Or the one where they blew a two goal lead against West Ham?  Or was it getting stomped by City?

You think Arsenal UNDER performed this year? I mean it is our best season since 2008.... but sure.

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Okay fair point.  But they did choke down the stretch. 

They stumbled, sure. But they can still equal the invincibles. They are facing a financially doped cheat. It is like coming second in the Tour de France to Lance Armstrong.

14 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

There is a lot of similarity supporting the Bills and Arsenal . . .  especially experiencing disappointment.

Nevertheless, I would not support any other professional "football" teams. I have been a Bills fan basically since I was in the womb and an Arsenal fan since I saw the Dennis Bergkamp goal in the link below and decided that I wanted to support his club team. I then fell in love with the team and Arsene Wenger. I also am a member of the supporters club (as are my two sons) and we also are on the season ticket waiting list.

Dennis Bergkamp World Cup Goal against Argentina

I love the Dutch commentary as well in the clip that I linked:

Dennis Bergkamp!

Dennis Bergkamp!

Dennis Bergkamp!

The skill that it took to receive the ball, immediately nutmeg the defender, and score the winning goal in the World Cup was just amazing. He also was a class act.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

There is a lot of similarity supporting the Bills and Arsenal . . .  especially experiencing disappointment.

Nevertheless, I would not support any other professional "football" teams. I have been a Bills fan basically since I was in the womb and an Arsenal fan since I saw the Dennis Bergkamp goal in the link below and decided that I wanted to support his club team. I then fell in love with the team and Arsene Wenger. I also am a member of the supporters club (as are my two sons) and we also are on the season ticket waiting list.

Dennis Bergkamp World Cup Goal against Argentina

I love the Dutch commentary as well in the clip that I linked:

Dennis Bergkamp!

Dennis Bergkamp!

Dennis Bergkamp!

The skill that it took to receive the ball, immediately nutmeg the defender, and score the winning goal in the World Cup was just amazing. He also was a class act.

It is the life of every sports fan. You lose more than you win. 

That is life.

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Okay fair point.  But they did choke down the stretch. 

I would not call it choke.

Clearly, we were all disappointed with how we let Liverpool, Southhampton, and West Ham come back to draw those games. Nevertheless, going to Anfield and getting a result is an accomplishment. Also, beating Newcastle away was very impressive . . . especially how Newcastle was doing their best impression of Stoke.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fake. Fake. Fake.

Hala Madrid!

Funny how the likes of Chelsea and Citeh are now considered to be big clubs.

Those of us who remember the 70s and 80s will recall that Citeh used to play at a dogbox called Maine Road and Chelsea's Stamford Bridge would have empty stands and a heap of cars parked on the ground behind the goals.

In any event, i think the Bills and Citeh will win the top trophy in their respective fields in the near future.

3 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Those of us who remember the 70s and 80s will recall that Citeh used to play at a dogbox called Maine Road and Chelsea's Stamford Bridge would have empty stands and a heap of cars parked on the ground behind the goals.

In any event, i think the Bills and Citeh will win the top trophy in their respective fields in the near future.

City in fairness had a hard core. I watched Crewe win at Maine Road in the third tier in the late 90s and there were 25,000 fans st a third tier game. The issue is that was basically their entire proper fanbase. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

If it were not for the oil money and Chelsea becoming Chelski, it would be the same.

As for Chelsea, they have some big time issues that they need to sort out with their players and wage scale etc.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

City in fairness had a hard core. I watched Crewe win at Maine Road in the third tier in the late 90s and there were 25,000 fans st a third tier game. The issue is that was basically their entire proper fanbase. 

Correct me if I am wrong. I always understood that City have more fans than United in Manchester, but United are more popular than City  in the rest of the UK.

Correct me if I am wrong. I always understood that City have more fans than United in Manchester, but United are more popular than City  in the rest of the UK.

I mean that is a slight exaggeration. But Manchester is a city divided. City to the East, United to the west. United have a lot of out of towners in the way City don't (or didn't until recently) but they have a good following in Manchester too.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

If it were not for the oil money and Chelsea becoming Chelski, it would be the same.

As for Chelsea, they have some big time issues that they need to sort out with their players and wage scale etc.

That is an old wives tale.

United have always had greater support in Manchester.

• Agree 1

Just now, SydneyBillsFan said:

That is an old wives tale.

United have always had greater support in Manchester.

Could be, but my English friend who told me this is not too old and he is not a woman. Nevertheless, I will take your word for it.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean that is a slight exaggeration. But Manchester is a city divided. City to the East, United to the west. United have a lot of out of towners in the way City don't (or didn't until recently) but they have a good following in Manchester too.

Have you been to see a game at Old Trafford?

The only Arsenal away game that I have seen was at Newcastle.

As a side note, Newcastle and its people reminded me of Buffalo. I really enjoyed my time there, and I was treated very well both around town and at the game.

Could be, but my English friend who told me this is not too old and he is not a woman. Nevertheless, I will take your word for it.

Not saying its a mammoth gulf in support, might be 55-45 or 52-48. But as Gooner pointed out, whilst United were racking up trophies, Citeh were languishing in the old Division 3 getting towelled up by the likes of Swindon Town, Stoke and Watford. That explains the huge gulf in global support, which admittedly is slowly shrinking thanks to Citehs arab sugar daddies.

42 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I actually equate Arsenal with the Dallas Cowboys. They’re a big club with a lot of money and an impressive home field. They had their championship moments a few decades ago and now just make a wee bit of noise now and again. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Have you been to see a game at Old Trafford?

The only Arsenal away game that I have seen was at Newcastle.

As a side note, Newcastle and its people reminded me of Buffalo. I really enjoyed my time there, and I was treated very well both around town and at the game.

Yep. I have seen Arsenal there three times. A 0-0 in Fergie's first title year where Merson hit the bar from 40 yards out. A 1-0 defeat in Wenger's first season, Winterburn OG. And the FA Cup Quarter Final win where Welbeck scored in 2015. Have seen a few other games there in my time including the Champions League game where the original Ronaldo ruined them for Madrid and England games during the Wembley redevelopment. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I actually equate Arsenal with the Dallas Cowboys. They’re a big club with a lot of money and an impressive home field. They had their championship moments a few decades ago and now just make a wee bit of noise now and again. 

That is a bad comparison. Arsenal are not glitzy the way the Cowboys are. If I was going to compare them to an NFL franchise it would be the Rams (not just because of the same owner). They had a spectacular team in the early part of the century that should have won more than it did and then a slump to basically irrelevance that it took a young head coach with a new dynamism to shake.

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You think Arsenal UNDER performed this year? I mean it is our best season since 2008.... but sure.

Brighton fan for as long as... well since 1983 when I visited family and Brighton made the FA cup final while I was there.  How has Trossard been for you?  Loved him at Brighton, sad to see him go, but I only watch Brighton games so I haven't paid attention to him since.  

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

...and they crap the bed when the heat is on at the pointy end of the season. Its uncanny.

The Arse Cowgirls - has a real ring to it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As a Buffalo Bills and Arsenal supporter, I would not compare Arsenal with the Cowboys. :)

3 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Brighton fan for as long as... well since 1983 when I visited family and Brighton made the FA cup final while I was there.  How has Trossard been for you?  Loved him at Brighton, sad to see him go, but I only watch Brighton games so I haven't paid attention to him since.  

He has been awesome. I loved him at Brighton too. Every time I watched you he was your most impressive player. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I have seen Arsenal there three times. A 0-0 in Fergie's first title year where Merson hit the bar from 40 yards out. A 1-0 defeat in Wenger's first season, Winterburn OG. And the FA Cup Quarter Final win where Welbeck scored in 2015. Have seen a few other games there in my time including the Champions League game where the original Ronaldo ruined them for Madrid and England games during the Wembley redevelopment. 

That is a bad comparison. Arsenal are not glitzy the way the Cowboys are. If I was going to compare them to an NFL franchise it would be the Rams (not just because of the same owner). They had a spectacular team in the early part of the century that should have won more than it did and then a slump to basically irrelevance that it took a young head coach with a new dynamism to shake.

What is the best way to get away tickets?

To go to the Newcastle game in 2019, I actually became a member of the Newcastle Supporters' club. I was able to get amazing seats. I suspect it is a lot more difficult to get tickets for a Newcastle game now. They also are going to "benefit" from all of that oil money.

How did the United fans treat you?

I should not admit this as an Arsenal fan, but I always liked Eric Cantona and thought this was both hilarious and brilliant:

"When the seagulls follow the trawler . . . ."

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He has been awesome. I loved him at Brighton too. Every time I watched you he was your most impressive player. 

He really blossomed under Potter, when Potter left Trossard seemed in a hurry to head out the door too.   No complaints though, he gave it all for Brighton when he was there and that's all you can ask.   

1 minute ago, GottaRun said:

He really blossomed under Potter, when Potter left Trossard seemed in a hurry to head out the door too.   No complaints though, he gave it all for Brighton when he was there and that's all you can ask.   

Trossard has been outstanding for us. For some reason, he did not get along with Brighton's current manager. Their loss. Our gain.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

What is the best way to get away tickets?

To go to the Newcastle game in 2019, I actually became a member of the Newcastle Supporters' club. I was able to get amazing seats. I suspect it is a lot more difficult to get tickets for a Newcastle game now. They also are going to "benefit" from all of that oil money.

How did the United fans treat you?

I should not admit this as an Arsenal fan, but I always liked Eric Cantona and thought this was both hilarious and brilliant:

"When the seagulls follow the trawler . . . ."

I have done it a myriad of ways over the years. My old man played with Steve Bould years ago and he used to get us most of our away tickets. Now I have a fair few mates who are part of the away scheme for silver members and sometimes I go to games they can't make. But I am sad to say I have only seen us in the flesh twice this season. Pathetic really when I live 4 miles away but life has a habit of getting in the way.

And King Eric changed English football. There is no question about that. When he arrived the perception wae still that foreign players were "too soft" for our league. No Cantona? No Zola. No Bergkamp. No Henry. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

The “oil money” jealousy is starting to get a bit tiresome..

Could the same be said about the Bills?

Technically would he “fracking money”  I spose

The oil money is limitless and the owners of City do not care one bit about breaking the rules.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.