UEFA Championship Bills related

SoCal Deek

1 minute ago, Peter said:

The oil money is limitless and the owners of City do not care one bit about breaking the rules.

Yeah.. its great isnt it?

I have supported them for 30 years but have particularly enjoyed the last 10

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The “oil money” jealousy is starting to get a bit tiresome..

Could the same be said about the Bills?

Technically would he “fracking money”  I spose

I have no issue with City being invested in by oil money as such..... but they do need to declare it properly in accordance with the regulations. Remember UEFA found them guilty of FFP breaches and financial doping. They got off on a technicality that UEFA was out of time to bring the charge. If they were playing by the book with arab money that would be one thing. They are not.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I have no issue with City being invested in by oil money as such..... but they do need to declare it properly in accordance with the regulations. Remember UEFA found them guilty of FFP breaches and financial doping. They got off on a technicality that UEFA was out of time to bring the charge. If they were playing by the book with arab money that would be one thing. They are not.

I just worry about their on the field results rather than their accounting problems...

Their wages bill is comparable to the other top teams in the Premier League... its not like they spend multiples more 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah.. its great isnt it?

I have supported them for 30 years but have particularly enjoyed the last 10

I have no issue with those that are longtime City supporters. You earned it over the years.

As an aside, when I meet football (read soccer) fans here in the US and ask them which team they support, I respect those that are actual die hard fans (no matter the club) as opposed to those that jump on whichever bandwagon (e.g., Real Madrid, Barca, or more recent City or Chelsea fans).

In fact, even though I am an Arsenal supporter, when I meet someone who says they support Spurs, I actually respect that. They are a true fan otherwise why would one pick Spurs out the blue.

On the Cantona theme (I know, I'm off topic) people forget that in 1992 Premier League football was still kinda unpopular. Attendences were mediocre. Games were not selling out. TV revenues were only just coming on stream and the game still had the stench of hooliganism. I went to grounds as a 7, 8, 9 year old in the early 90s. It was a horrible experience for the most part.

They needed stars to really catapult the game forward and Eric Cantona was one. He was not the best player in the Premier League's first decade, but he was arguably the most important.

Just now, Peter said:

I have no issue with those that are longtime City supporters. You earned it over the years.

As an aside, when I meet football (read soccer) fans here in the US and ask them which team they support, I respect those that are actual die hard fans (no matter the club) as opposed to those that jump on whichever bandwagon (e.g., Real Madrid, Barca, or more recent City or Chelsea fans).

In fact, even though I am an Arsenal supporter, when I meet someone who says they support Spurs, I actually respect that. They are a true fan otherwise why would one pick Spurs out the blue.

I dont like bandwagon fans of any sport to be honest...

In Sydney 5 years ago I was the only person you would ever see wearing Bills gear... now its pretty common place...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I just worry about their on the field results rather than their accounting problems...

Their wages bill is comparable to the other top teams in the Premier League... its not like they spend multiples more 

That is true. They don't. Chelsea and United have higher wage bills but are badly run clubs. City on the football side are very well run. But they are not compliant with FFP. It is like the Bills breaching the salary cap for 5 years, winning, getting caught and then finding a technicality to get off. 

Now you can have views about whether FFP is a good system or not (personally I am not persuaded as it builds in historic advantages) but it is, in fact, the current system. And City are not compliant. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

On the Cantona theme (I know, I'm off topic) people forget that in 1992 Premier League football was still kinda unpopular. Attendences were mediocre. Games were not selling out. TV revenues were only just coming on stream and the game still had the stench of hooliganism. I went to grounds as a 7, 8, 9 year old in the early 90s. It was a horrible experience for the most part.

They needed stars to really catapult the game forward and Eric Cantona was one. He was not the best player in the Premier League's first decade, but he was arguably the most important.

He certainly was. I actually was in London and at a pub watching his first game after his suspension with one of my best friends who is huge United fan. 

Although I am an Arsenal supporter, I always respected United and Sir Alex. I especially like the way that Sir Alex and Arsene's relationship has evolved.

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

wow look at the knowledgeable football (the real football) fans on this board... who'da thunk?  

Bills will always be my No 1 love... next is my Aussie Rugby team the Wests Tigers who have a very Bills like history of heartbreak and under performing...

But its nice to have one sporting interest ( CIty)  that has had a bit of success... 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is true. They don't. Chelsea and United have higher wage bills but are badly run clubs. City on the football side are very well run. But they are not compliant with FFP. It is like the Bills breaching the salary cap for 5 years, winning, getting caught and then finding a technicality to get off. 

Now you can have views about whether FFP is a good system or not (personally I am not persuaded as it builds in historic advantages) but it is, in fact, the current system. And City are not compliant. 

So what do you think will happen? 

Will they be stripped of their titles?

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know this question was not directed toward me and I do not have an answer.

Nevertheless, as an Arsenal fan, I do not want Arsenal to win the EPL this year merely as a result of City having points deducted etc.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If the Premier League finds against them, I doubt they strip them of titles. The PR look for the league would be too damaging. But I do think a heavy points deduction to start next season is a possibility. And if that happens Pep has guaranteed he will walk. I mean you don't have to take him at his word because he said he'd walk if UEFA found them guilty, they did, and while City succeeded in their appeal it was on a technicality not on substance. 

I am also not advocating for Arsenal to win the league on a points deduction. My view on Manchester City pre-dates Arsenal even being near back in title contention. The Der Speigel piece was the moment I lost faith in anything they said. There is too much evidence there in black and white.

I feel for them in a sense. Because FFP is designed by the elite to protect the status quo. And City were insurgents. But now they are in the establishment they want to pull up the drawbridge too as demonstrated by their support for the Super League. So their "restriction of the little man dream" argument got tougher to buy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, GunnerBill said:

Hmmmm....he scored in the BIG games, which is the mark of a true star. United started winning trophies mainly because of him.

Only other guys in the conversation for best in the 90's would have been Shearer, Fowler and Scholes.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:41 AM, Aussie Joe said:

I dont like bandwagon fans of any sport to be honest...

In Sydney 5 years ago I was the only person you would ever see wearing Bills gear... now its pretty common place...

Oi!!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Hmmmm....he scored in the BIG games, which is the mark of a true star. United started winning trophies mainly because of him.

Only other guys in the conversation for best in the 90's would have been Shearer, Fowler and Scholes.

He wasn't as good a player as Bergkamp, or as Zola, or as Vieira, or as Keane, or as Sol Campbell or as Shearer and Scholes who you mention. With respect Robbie Fowler does not belong in that conversation. He was a brilliant finisher but as an all round footballer? Average. He wouldn't make it in the Premier League today. Game is way too technical. 

As for performing in big games, Cantona scored in some big Premier League games but he was poor for United in Europe. 

Cantona was a good player, but he wasn't an elite player. He was the most important player of the Premier League's first decade, and he was the catalyst for the United dynasty. But he wasn't the best player of his era. There were at least half a dozen who were better.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, Freak-O said:

Being compared to Manchester City is a good thing. It’s the best soccer team in the world and the favourite to win the Champions League this season. If the Bills are the Man City of the NFL I’m more than fine with it. 

Yeah, lately.  Historically, not so much.

They are historically the "other" team from Manchester...the bad one that no one cares about.

Edited by Nextmanup

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, lately.  Historically, not so much.

They are historically the "other" team from Manchester...the bad one that no one cares about.

Historically the US is that landmass with buffaloes somewhere at the other side of the ocean. :) Let’s not live in the past. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.