Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

42 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Watertown was expecting almost 175,000.  They did not get that many.

Watertown restaurant loses thousands after smaller-than-expected eclipse crowds | WWTI - InformNNY.com

That's a shame but I don't think many folks were planning a long stay. Totality was a 140 mile drive from my house. I packed food and drink, got to Lyndon, Vermont, saw the eclipse and got in my car and left the second it was over. Smart move too. Authorities were asking people to not leave right away? Lol, those folks got back to Boston at 4am. I was home by 6pm beating the rush.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:01 AM, Ga boy said:

The domed stadiums I’ve been in can’t compare to the Bills game day experience.  Maybe it’s the structure or maybe it’s the fans.  Maybe both.  Just wish the canopy could’ve been more like the donut hole in the old Cowboys place.

I haven't been to a ton of domed stadiums, but both AT&T stadium in Dallas & Reliant Stadium in Houston (could be something else now), were waaaaay better game experiences for me than any of my trips to Highmark.

The tailgating and social aspect was more fun in Buffalo, but while watching the actual game? I absolutely loved my time in both domed stadiums. Seats were comfortable, view was awesome, screens were beautiful, plenty of leg room, easy to navigate, extremely clean (for stadiums), and very, very loud.

Even though Reliant was only 3/4 full for the game I went to (Bills vs Texans in Josh's rookie season), I was shocked that it was louder than the last time I went to Buffalo. I dunno, maybe the fans were in a lull for that game, but I never expected Texans fans to bring so much energy.

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Thanks for posting! Looks like they continue to make great progress out there. Very different construction type than the current stadium. The new one is essentially a conventional steel braced frame structure (much like a typical office building) with seating risers leaning up against it. For the curious, the diagonal braces you see in a few areas are there to resist lateral movement (wind and earthquake loads). 

On 5/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, Captain Caveman said:

Some pics of the "experience" (not mine but came from the Season Ticket discussion group)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UN5LqegenFBSYtp8

What is up with the weird 'cut-out' sections on lower level scoreboard end.  I can't think why they would have that extra aisle space at the expense of seats.  Also I wonder what the red strip sections along the lenght of the middle are - are those sections with overhead heating I wonder?

Seems like there's going to be a lot of areas to stand and watch - lower level EZ and possibly all the way around under upper level (depending how accurate picture is)

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

What is up with the weird 'cut-out' sections on lower level scoreboard end.  I can't think why they would have that extra aisle space at the expense of seats.  Also I wonder what the red strip sections along the lenght of the middle are - are those sections with overhead heating I wonder?

Seems like there's going to be a lot of areas to stand and watch - lower level EZ and possibly all the way around under upper level (depending how accurate picture is)

I don't know this for sure, but that could be for ADA compliance. Rich/Ralph Wilson/New Era/Highmark Stadium is not ADA compliant in any way, but they get a pass because the facility is so old. For new construction, they would have to have accessible sections and places for fans in wheelchairs. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I don't know this for sure, but that could be for ADA compliance. Rich/Ralph Wilson/New Era/Highmark Stadium is not ADA compliant in any way, but they get a pass because the facility is so old. For new construction, they would have to have accessible sections and places for fans in wheelchairs. 

That's interesting - didn't think of that.  Nice if they are making ADA seats avail in 'good' seats.

Can concur the ADA situation at Highmark is not good.  There are a handful of spots at the top of the tunnels in lower bowl - then the rest is literally at the top of the upper deck.  We've brought my Dad in a wheelchair the last few years - he can still walk short distances but for the long walks easier to wheel him in.  Last year we had club level EZ, thinking we could take elevator to club level (which we've done before when we had seats in actual club) - but no - only way to access club level EZ was a bunch of stairs.  

Edited by stevewin