TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Complete!!

Virgil

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think it has much to do with "trends" and is instead more about it just being a rare occurrence that an NFL team can reunite first round first round talent pairings of QB and WR from the same college team in the NFL.  

Think about what that takes...Like this year, when both are coming out same year and both are top first round prospects, a team will need 2 first round picks in that specific year, and in draft slots where they can realistic draft both players.  Texans this year have #2 and and #12 making it possible given both are coming out at the same time.  But that perfect storm of circumstances is pretty extraordinary to already have.  If said team did not have 2 first round picks, it would then require them to make some sort of big trade up just to get the 2nd guy (likely the WR).  

Then you have the scenario where the QB and WR aren't both in the same draft.  That means a team has to draft one of them in one draft, and then be in the right draft slot in a future draft to land the other.  Of course said team also has to need/want a player at the position in that draft spot too instead of someone else at OL, Edge, DT, CB, RB, etc.  Like the Bengals did with adding the QB first in Burrow, then Chase the next draft.  

That is why I think it really isn't about trends, more about how rare the opportunity arises where pairing a top end college QB & WR in the NFL actually occurs.  There are a lot of circumstances that have to happen for that to be possible.  

I agree.

Chase was a specific decision to pair Burrow with his guy, and Burrow campaigned for it. Their bigger need was LT Penei Sewell who was an elite tackle prospect and already looks a high end tackle. But Chase was an elite prospect too and they valued giving their QB his guy. But had Burrow not done his ACL as a rook chances are Cincy win more games and Chase is gone by the time they pick. So you are right even where it was a deliberate decision to pair a QB with his guy it needed a particular set of circumstances to happen.

Waddle was less about that and more about just that the Dolphins need at receiver was a speed guy and Waddle was a speed guy. They could have taken Smith (also a teammate) but their priority was drafting speed. They had Parker and Gesicki as "big bodies" their need was a specific skillset and Waddle just fitted the bill. Wouldn't have mattered if he played college ball at Alabama or App State IMO. Was about his skillset.

• Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Raiders (TOboy) are on the clock

With the 37th pick in the 2023 draft, the Las Vegas Raiders are proud to select Mazi Smith of Michigan. 

Having reinforced the offensive line in Rd 1, the Raiders look to boost the defensive line in the second. Smith should be able to take on 2 blockers and be a force in run defense. We are also confident he’ll be able to contribute on all 3 downs in time and be a key piece of the defense for years to come. 

@Draconator and the Carolina Panthers are now on the clock. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

With the 31st pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia.

This is somewhat of a luxury pick for a non-premium position, but there is some logic behind it. On 1st down in 2022, the Chiefs ran 12 personnel 32% of the time and 13 personnel 10% of the time. So multiple TE sets are an important part of their offense. The problem is behind Kelce it is just JAGs at the position. Darnell Washington immediately gives us a true monster at the position and complements Kelce's skill set perfectly.

The Chiefs still don't have a true game changer at WR, but Andy Reid is a master at changing his offense up every year. He found a way to make an offense without Tyreek Hill even more productive by getting the RBs more involved in the passing game and focusing less on deep throws. Having a blocking TE with Washington's attributes opens up the offense in another way entirely. Now they can run heavy sets that will leave defenses reeling with the threat of Mahomes' arm always being there. Pacheco running with a full head of steam behind Darnell Washington is a frightening concept for defenses. And now a red zone offense that was already deadly just got another potent weapon.

The Steelers @CNYfan are on the clock.

@Zerovoltz I have to ask, why the negative reaction?

Honest question: I see defensive linemen listed as either DE or Edge in most mock drafts…what’s the distinction? Is a DE generally considered less of a pass rusher? Or is an Edge more of Linebacker? Or is it all about the alignment they typically played such as 4-3 or 3-4? 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Panthers (draconator) are on the clock
7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Honest question: I see defensive linemen listed as either DE or Edge in most mock drafts…what’s the distinction? Is a DE generally considered less of a pass rusher? Or is an Edge more of Linebacker? Or is it all about the alignment they typically played such as 4-3 or 3-4? 

Yea EDGE generally means you are grouping people who play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB together.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea EDGE generally means you are grouping people who play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB together.

Thanks! So I’m guessing Von Miller would be considered an Edge whereas Bruce Smith was a DE? And if so how do you classify Groot, Boogie, and Epenesa? 

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks! So I’m guessing Von Miller would be considered an Edge whereas Bruce Smith was a DE? And if so how do you classify Groot, Boogie, and Epenesa? 

I classify Groot Boogie and Espenza as diffferent than Bruce Smith or Von Miller.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

They are all DE’s (not really OLB’s), but still play on the edge so you could call them either. A DE is an edge rusher, as is an OLB in a 3-4. It’s just a way of lumping them together, as most OLB’s in a 3-4 will line up at DE on obvious passing downs. 

I think of it a little different. To me edge guys can play 4-3 end and 3-4 OLB. A base DE can play 4-3 end or 3-4 end (5tech). Groot and Miller are edge players, Basham, AJ are DEs imo. 3-4 5 tech is usually longer and heavier. Prototype 3-4 end is like JJ Watt, Calais Campbell. Those guys could play 4-3 end, but couldn’t OLB. 

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

They are all DE’s (not really OLB’s), but still play on the edge so you could call them either. A DE is an edge rusher, as is an OLB in a 3-4. It’s just a way of lumping them together, as most OLB’s in a 3-4 will line up at DE on obvious passing downs. 

Thanks! Seems to be splitting hairs to me. Is it correct to assume an Edge drops off into coverage at times? If not, and all they do is help stop the run or rush the passer, that still sounds like a DE to me. 

Thanks! Seems to be splitting hairs to me. Is it correct to assume an Edge drops off into coverage at times? If not, and all they do is help stop the run or rush the passer, that still sounds like a DE to me. 

Nope. Technically Mike’s Garrett is an edge and would never drop off in coverage (unless coached by a Ryan brother). 

An edge just means he rushes the passer from the edges. It’s all encompassing. DE and OLB are different positions, both are edge rushers. Hope that makes sense.

With the 39th overall pick in the TSW Mock Draft 2.0, the Carolina Panthers select:

Jalin Hyatt - WR - Tennessee

The Panthers add the deep threat to pair with #1 overall pick Bryce Young to really open up the offense and test the defenses in the NFC South.

The Saints and @BigdaddyinOrlando are on the clock

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Saints (BigdaddyinOrlando) are on the clock
7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

No I just classify them all as "edge" for draft purposes. It is like a catch all term. Within that I know who is a better fit as an end vs an OLB. But of you have an OLB category you also have to put a guy like Matt Milano there. And it makes no sense to be comparing him (as an outside off the ball linebacker) to an OLB who plays on the edge and rushes the passer.

With the 40th pick of the draft the New Orleans Saints select, Cody Mauch gaurd from North Dakota State

Mauch offers us a day one starter and should be there for years to come. Thought about an rb here but the value wasn’t there and really Mauch here.

The Titans and @NeverOutNick are on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 2

With the 41st overall pick in the TSW Mock Draft 2.0, the Tennessee Titans select Josh Downs, WR, UNC

The Titans need O line help more and will address it later in the draft but outside of Burks they have no other dependable WRs, and even he isn’t the most dependable. Will Levis may not start right away but when he does he’s going to need a security blanket to make the transition as smooth as possible. Downs is one of, if not, the most sure handed WR in this class as he catches everything and is the titans day 1 starter at slot WR for years to come.

@aristocrat and the Jets are on the clock with back to back picks starting at 42

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.