London Updated

corta765

9 minutes ago, MattM said:

Many thanks again. This article lists the train lines impacted by the strikes (although it's tough to tell which days which lines are striking, as there are apparently several days) and unfortunately HE is in the list of striking railways:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/09/24/train-strike-dates-2023-rail-services-affected-aslef/

Well there ya go. Good thing we’re arriving on Thursday morning then! Fingers crossed. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well there ya go. Good thing we’re arriving on Thursday morning then! Fingers crossed. 

We're unfortunately arriving on Friday, so I just tried to order a cab via our hotel's concierge desk. London also has Uber so we should all be prepared for surge pricing being in effect on Friday.

Time to check on what's near the hotel for Friday afternoon activities....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m also arriving at Heathrow Thursday morning about 8am (Delta from ATL) and I figured I’d drop my bag at the hotel and wander about. I was curious about check-in time and just realized it looks like I’m booked for Wed night! The sensible thing to do would be to cancel that night. The wife said “just keep it if you want, you might be glad you did.” I love my wife! 

As for the transportation, we’ll just have to figure it out. I guess that will have to be part of the adventure!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m also arriving at Heathrow Thursday morning about 8am (Delta from ATL) and I figured I’d drop my bag at the hotel and wander about. I was curious about check-in time and just realized it looks like I’m booked for Wed night! The sensible thing to do would be to cancel that night. The wife said “just keep it if you want, you might be glad you did.” I love my wife! 

As for the transportation, we’ll just have to figure it out. I guess that will have to be part of the adventure!

Keep it, just make sure they'll let you "check in" Thursday morning.  It'll be nice to drop your bags in your room instead of leaving them with the front desk.  Plus you can grab a quick nap or change or shower before heading out.  When I went to Australia, we landed in the morning, I think around 9am, and couldn't check in till after 3pm.  Was stuck wearing the clothes we had on while walking around Sydney, wishing we could just grab a nap and shower. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Keep it, just make sure they'll let you "check in" Thursday morning.  It'll be nice to drop your bags in your room instead of leaving them with the front desk.  Plus you can grab a quick nap or change or shower before heading out.  When I went to Australia, we landed in the morning, I think around 9am, and couldn't check in till after 3pm.  Was stuck wearing the clothes we had on while walking around Sydney, wishing we could just grab a nap and shower. 

I’m sure many parts of Sydney wished you had had a chance to clean up as well.    😂 

On 9/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, BritBill said:

If anyone else is wanting to join us for a curry on Saturday 7th evening could drop me message to confirm that would be great. 

We’ll be aiming to eat at 7pm. 

I’ll look at reserving the restaurant this time next week. 

Where will be going?

I am told that this place is excellent:

Dishoom

13 hours ago, Peter said:

Where will be going?

I am told that this place is excellent:

Dishoom

Here is the plan - https://easterneyebricklane.co.uk

Are you wanting to join us? We have 7 so far. 

Dishoom is excellent though. My stepson used to work at the branch in Manchester. The bacon naan bread sandwich is one of the best breakfasts  you’ll ever have. 

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I use the Time and Date website to get a two week forecast. Right now it’s showing 71 and cloudy for the game….but remember it’s London so it changes pretty regularly. 

Any wind will be a non-factor. Spurs stadium is a big closed bowl.

No roof so rain will have an impact if there is any. 

I got a mail this morning saying tickets were available

Pardon me at first, I have a very light knowledge use of a smartphone, I bought one recently for this special event

so in the mail, I have 2 links for the tickets (i have bought 2 tickets)

I have installed on the smartphone google wallet app

I clicked on the 1st link, after a painfull I'm not a robot sequence, it seems the ticket was added into the wallet

Then I clicked on the second link, and when i wanted to add the ticket i got a message saying i can only add the card to one account, do I confirm.

(I didn't confirm, I was afraid it would erase/override the 1st one)

So now I am a bit lost

Do my friend coming with me need to add the 2nd ticket in his smartphone wallet ? seems the easier thing

Can someone help/enlight me please ?

On 9/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, MattM said:

Many thanks again. This article lists the train lines impacted by the strikes (although it's tough to tell which days which lines are striking, as there are apparently several days) and unfortunately HE is in the list of striking railways:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/09/24/train-strike-dates-2023-rail-services-affected-aslef/

A possible alternative could be a National Express coach service into London Victoria. Cost to get that far into the City would be considerably less, and an Uber/black cab from there to wherever you are staying, would also be a lot cheaper. You will need to book in advance though (the coach), as they are bound to be extra busy due to the train/tube strikes.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BritBill said:

Here is the plan - https://easterneyebricklane.co.uk

Are you wanting to join us? We have 7 so far. 

Yes, I am interested in joining you guys. 

For some reason, my office blocked the link but it appears that this place is near my hotel in Shoreditch. 

Also, my friend who was supposed to meet me in London is probably not going to be able to go because of something that just got scheduled on that Friday.

I will be going to the Bills game, but will have to leave early because the Arsenal game got rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. 

Transportation questions for anyone in the know:

Apparently, I am arriving on the day of the tube strike. Normally, I would take the Heathrow Express and connect with the tube . . . unless, of course, I were staying in Paddington, in which case, I would walk to my hotel.

This trip, I am staying in Shoreditch. Given the planned tube strike, any advice on how best to get from Heathrow to Shoreditch?

Also, is the Elizabeth line considered to be a tube line and subject to the strike?

I look forward to meeting my fellow Bills fans . . . especially if they are Gooners like me.

COYG!!!

Edited by Peter

On 9/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, Buddo said:

A possible alternative could be a National Express coach service into London Victoria. Cost to get that far into the City would be considerably less, and an Uber/black cab from there to wherever you are staying, would also be a lot cheaper. You will need to book in advance though (the coach), as they are bound to be extra busy due to the train/tube strikes.

Many thanks--I've decided to bite the gullet and just do a cab from the airport which my hotel arranged. Just don't want to get stranded on Friday--too much to try to do and see!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:29 AM, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Are there other bars and establishments near the Bills backers bar in London if you don’t have tixs to event but still want to hang w Bills fans?  

The UK Bills group have mentioned The Admiralty pub as a designated Bills pub for the weekend. The address is 66 Trafalgar Square, St James's, London, WC2N 5DS. The nearest tube station to the pub looks like Charing Cross served by the Bakerloo and Northern lines. 

There's also the The Fitzrovia Belle pub which is where the UK Bills meet to watch games. The address for this is 74 Tottenham Ct Rd, London, W1T 7NS. The nearest tube station is Goodge Street which is served by the Northern Line. You could do both mentioned pubs using the Northern Line!

I hope this helps. The UK Bills social media channels would be the best place to get more information. 

On 9/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, Peter said:

Yes, I am interested in joining you guys. 

For some reason, my office blocked the link but it appears that this place is near my hotel in Shoreditch. 

Also, my friend who was supposed to meet me in London is probably not going to be able to go because of something that just got scheduled on that Friday.

I will be going to the Bills game, but will have to leave early because the Arsenal game got rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. 

Transportation questions for anyone in the know:

Apparently, I am arriving on the day of the tube strike. Normally, I would take the Heathrow Express and connect with the tube . . . unless, of course, I were staying in Paddington, in which case, I would walk to my hotel.

This trip, I am staying in Shoreditch. Given the planned tube strike, any advice on how best to get from Heathrow to Shoreditch?

Also, is the Elizabeth line considered to be a tube line and subject to the strike?

I look forward to meeting my fellow Bills fans . . . especially if they are Gooners like me.

COYG!!!

Lizzy Line is not a tube line and is not subject to the strike.

• Like (+1) 2

Any more the curry house on Saturday 7 October at 7:30pm?

Eastern Eye Balti House

63A Brick Lane

E1 6QL

Restaurant is in between Shoreditch High Street London Overground & Aldgate East tube stations on the famous Brick Lane in the East End of London. 

I'll be calling to reserve a table this Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:53 PM, MattM said:

Many thanks—I agree that it’s normally super easy to get around London, but the day we arrive there is a Tube strike planned, so was wondering if that also means the HE will also not be running. I’d love to avoid having to book an advance taxi or car for $200 if we can, but also would hate to arrive and be stuck at the airport with no way into the city due to the strike.

For those of you who haven't been to London recently, the Heathrow Express (the most expensive train ride per mile in the world) is now obsolete.  The brand new Elizabeth Line (which is part of the London Underground) goes from Heathrow right through the center of town including Paddington and points east, and it costs the same as a tube ride and takes only about 10 minutes longer.  The Heathrow Express costs about $30 and the Elizabeth Line costs less than $7 for a single ride, even less if you get a daily or weekly pass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.