Do the Bills need a Nose Tackle?

Yantha

Change is coming in the 2023 season.  We will have a new DC, with a different philosophy, we've lost our starting MLB and questions remain as to who the starting linebackers will be.  I think it's fair to say that our DL depth is better than our LB depth, but another question has arisen.  "Should we trade Oliver?".

Other questions I've seen come up is IF Bernard is the next man up, will the DL need a Nose Tackle to eat up blocks and help Bernard play to his attributes/abilities?  I'll add that even IF we draft Campbell (or any other rookie MLB...), maybe a nose tackle would help the team overall anyways....  even if Tremaine was still here.

This thread is to discuss defensive schemes, and whether a pure Nose Tackle should be part of the conversation during this draft.  I'm listing profiles of some prospects that can be discussed here as well.

DT Siaki Ika, Baylor (335 lbs) - projected 3rd rounder

DT Keondre Coburn, Texas (332 lbs) - Projected 4th round

DT Brodrick Martin, W. Kentucky (330 lbs) - projected 6th round

Sorry, no highlight video....

Edited by Yantha
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm just starting to scratch the surface on this question, but I have to say I'm majorly impressed with that Baylor dude....  Watch his brute strength in the highlight video.  A man amongst boys.  I actually feel bad for those Centers!  lol

Edited by Yantha

They need at least one stout DT. Call him whatever, but they need to get stronger up the middle. That includes MLB. I liked Edmunds side-to-side, but he wasn’t great at hitting gaps hard. Actually having 3 LBs would help cover the sides without Edmunds allowing a MLB to fill holes with a big man holding ground and Oliver helping do that, too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I think DaQuan Jones has mostly been that guy with a little Tim Settle mixed in. 

If they do go to more of a 4-3 under look which is what McDermott was doing in Carolina, then I think a shade 1 tech is a really important position. Jones does fill that spot for now. 

Ika wouldn't bother me as long as he isn't drafted too high. Unless you are getting Dexter Lawrence or Vita Vea, who play with ridiculous power and give you pass rush, then you have to wait until later in the draft for a nose tackle. 

The guy I like is Jaquelin Roy who the Bills hosted for a private workout. Roy kind of pushed Ika out of LSU as he followed Dave Aranda to Baylor. 

Mazi Smith and Gervonn Dexter also played a lot of 1 tech and are versatile enough to play the 3 tech as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

They have no DTs under contract for next year, so we have a need there. Question is...Do we spend our 6 picks across different positions where it's possible to make the 53?....or do we end up just stocking the P.S with poachable players?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I'm just starting to scratch the surface on this question, but I have to say I'm majorly impressed with that Baylor dude....  Watch his brute strength in the highlight video.  A man amongst boys.  I actually feel bad for those Centers!  lol

Yantha, while you're scratching below the surface, it probably needs to be pointed out that the Bills play a 4-3, in which the "pure NT" role best maps to the 1TDT.

Those would be DaQuan Jones and Tim Settle.   Neither are under contract past this season.  Jones is 31 and Settle 26.

Overall, I would assess that Jones was a pleasant revelation and let us see what Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips should have been doing in previous years.  Tim Settle did injure his calf early in the season and was playing through it, but he did not at all measure up when he was asked to do so, and he saw his snaps slide to 25-35% until Jones was injured in the playoffs.

My point is that while the Bills do need to plan for the future on DL, it seems a bit misleading for this year to mention trading Oliver (who fills a different role, 3TDT, in McD's offense) or not mention that we in fact do seem to have a capable guy filling the 1TDT role for this season, in Jones.  An upgrade at backup would be good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes, on either of these two please
There’s a strong chance that we might be playing with the smallest middle linebacker

This is what I find hilarious. It is true. 100%. But then you go to some of the draft threads or LB threads here and people want to draft LBs that are 230lbs. Bernard is only 225. And many here are wanting to get a guy that’s 230. And that may be a little bigger, but not much. We could just have Bernard eat a Large Spaghetti Parm from Chefs the night before and gain that for game time. 

Campbell or Sewell are the only 2 LBs I’m interested in for this draft. And I think Campbell is going to be too high of a pick. I’d take Sewell. 

29 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Change is coming in the 2023 season.  We will have a new DC, with a different philosophy, we've lost our starting MLB and questions remain as to who the starting linebackers will be.  I think it's fair to say that our DL depth is better than our LB depth, but another question has arisen.  "Should we trade Oliver?".

Other questions I've seen come up is IF Bernard is the next man up, will the DL need a Nose Tackle to eat up blocks and help Bernard play to his attributes/abilities?  I'll add that even IF we draft Campbell (or any other rookie MLB...), maybe a nose tackle would help the team overall anyways....  even if Tremaine was still here.

This thread is to discuss defensive schemes, and whether a pure Nose Tackle should be part of the conversation during this draft.  I'm listing profiles of some prospects that can be discussed here as well.

DT Siaki Ika, Baylor (335 lbs) - projected 3rd rounder

DT Keondre Coburn, Texas (332 lbs) - Projected 4th round

DT Brodrick Martin, W. Kentucky (330 lbs) - projected 6th round

Sorry, no highlight video....

Into the DTs available. Ika and Coburn are absolute monsters. If you can get either in the 4th round or Ika in the 3rd you are looking good. 

if they were to go with Mazi Smith if he made it to the 2nd round I wouldn’t be unhappy. 

and I also like Keeanu Benton in the 3rd round or later. He’s a little smaller at 309lbs. But compared to guys like Oliver he’s a beast. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yantha, while you're scratching below the surface, it probably needs to be pointed out that the Bills play a 4-3, in which the "pure NT" role best maps to the 1TDT.

Those would be DaQuan Jones and Tim Settle.   Neither are under contract past this season.  Jones is 31 and Settle 26.

Overall, I would assess that Jones was a pleasant revelation and let us see what Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips should have been doing in previous years.  Tim Settle did injure his calf early in the season and was playing through it, but he did not at all measure up when he was asked to do so, and he saw his snaps slide to 25-35% until Jones was injured in the playoffs.

My point is that while the Bills do need to plan for the future on DL, it seems a bit misleading for this year to mention trading Oliver (who fills a different role, 3TDT, in McD's offense) or not mention that we in fact do seem to have a capable guy filling the 1TDT role for this season, in Jones.  An upgrade at backup would be good.

Yep, I agree with everything you are saying here.  Just wondering if we will see a mix of different schemes that call for a different skill set.  The defense COULD look very different this year.  You never know what Beane/McD have planned....

• Disagree 1

If we go DT early, I really hope it’s Mazi Smith. Dude is huge, immovable, and quick and agile for his size. His college production wasn’t outstanding, but all the traits are there for him to bust out in the NFL. At worst he should be able to take up 2 blockers in the run game. And it’s possible he develops a little bit of a pass rush. 

Edit - And as I typed someone else posted his video above lol

Edited by TOboy

Just now, TOboy said:

If we go DT early, I really hope it’s Mazi Smith. Dude is huge, immovable, and quick and agile for his size. His college production wasn’t outstanding, but all the traits are there for him to bust out in the NFL. At worst he should be able to take up 2 blockers in the run game. And it’s possible he develops a little bit of a pass rush. 

He opened things up for Ojabo and Hutchinson to have a all the production they had. He's a beast. My draft crush. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

They need at least one stout DT. Call him whatever, but they need to get stronger up the middle. That includes MLB. I liked Edmunds side-to-side, but he wasn’t great at hitting gaps hard. Actually having 3 LBs would help cover the sides without Edmunds allowing a MLB to fill holes with a big man holding ground and Oliver helping do that, too. 

Edmunds was good at hitting the gaps hard.  Problem was it was usually the wrong gap.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Both are really good imo. Exactly what we need and are missing on the DL. I’d say the best way to describe Koburn is violent. But he also plays with a finesse and quickness. Getting out of blocks. He has some moves that get him out of tight spaces. You can see it in that vid you posted. There’s like 2 plays more than halfway through it where he’s doubled and somehow slides through a hole that just shouldn’t be there. Yet he’s 330+. It’s not natural. 

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Edmunds was good at hitting the gaps hard.  Problem was it was usually the wrong gap.

Or 5 yards downfield 

Depends on what you mean by a Nose Tackle.

Traditionally, the NT position is a 0-Tech defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.  Since Sean McDermott does not run this alignment and probably never will, I don't see us using any resources on a player with this skillset.

Now I have occasionally seen the 1-Tech lineman (4-3 scheme) also referred to as a Nose Tackle, although that's not the most commonly used positional term.  This is the spot played by DaQuan Jones on our defense.  Personally I would like to sign Jones to an extension and keep him as the starter.  But I wouldn't be opposed to adding a backup on Day 3.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Depends on what you mean by a Nose Tackle.

Traditionally, the NT position is a 0-Tech defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.  Since Sean McDermott does not run this alignment and probably never will, I don't see us using any resources on a player with this skillset.

Now I have occasionally seen the 1-Tech lineman (4-3 scheme) also referred to as a Nose Tackle, although that's not the most commonly used positional term.  This is the spot played by DaQuan Jones on our defense.  Personally I would like to sign Jones to an extension and keep him as the starter.  But I wouldn't be opposed to adding a backup on Day 3.

At the very least they will need to draft someone as none of the DTs on the current roster are signed past this season. You could go anyway you’d like with the draft. And go with a replacement for Jones, or Oliver. Or a hybrid of both. Really anyone over 305lb could do either position in this defense. Assuming the rest of the traits are there. Oliver is way too small for either position imo and should be more like a DE in a 3-4. Or next to someone who’s an absolute monster in the 1T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.