Do the Bills need a Nose Tackle?

Yantha

7 hours ago, Chas56 said:

They need at least one stout DT. Call him whatever, but they need to get stronger up the middle. That includes MLB. I liked Edmunds side-to-side, but he wasn’t great at hitting gaps hard. Actually having 3 LBs would help cover the sides without Edmunds allowing a MLB to fill holes with a big man holding ground and Oliver helping do that, too. 

Oliver aint holding ground and neither is Phillips. they both play penetrating DT.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wasted thread, imo, while McDermott is HC. He’s strictly a 4-3 guy. No sense dreaming about alternatives.

You can still run 1T in a four three , Nickel and dime even depending on what you have behind him and how you cover the flats for RO etc.

I missed Harrison Phillips btw

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

We need more of a penetrating DT more than a traditional nose, see Aaron Darnold, Warren Sapp, John Randle or even a better all around version of Jordan Phillips type. As Da'Quan Jones does a solid job keeping offensive lineman off LBs to make tackles. Yet as eluded we don't have anyone under contract after this season. The guy I'd love for us to land is Keeanu Benton who should be there in Round 2. As he's strong at the point and showed in Senior Bowl practices he's got some speed that didn't use as much with the Badgers. 

Respectfully disagree, at this point. :)
Let the blitz disguises  bring that.

But yes that what McD wants. not working so far

25 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Oliver aint holding ground and neither is Phillips. they both play penetrating DT.

Oliver was especially not holding ground with the high ankle sprain last year. People seem to forget about that, he played hurt for quite a while. That is NOT a quick heal, especially if you keep playing on it. Kudos to him for toughing it out. There was a video somewhere showing what a DT has to do to anchor and how brutal that is on an ankle. I mean, just think about that…..

It hurt his game in every way, including what he is there for, which is quick penetration. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Oliver was especially not holding ground with the high ankle sprain last year. People seem to forget about that, he played hurt for quite a while. That is NOT a quick heal, especially if you keep playing on it. Kudos to him for toughing it out. There was a video somewhere showing what a DT has to do to anchor and how brutal that is on an ankle. I mean, just think about that…..

It hurt his game in every way, including what he is there for, which is quick penetration. 

No question my friend.
Ed does what he does very well. When 100% and fits McD scheme of things.
I would suggest we need to change the scheme a tad 🙃

Everyone keeps saying we don’t have a DT under contract next year…but may I suggest that that doesn’t mean we won’t be re-signing a few of our own. It’s not as if there’s gonna be a long line looking for players that most on here couldn’t care less about. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

I will say to the original posters question that I forlornly miss the days when Mount Washington lined up next to Phat Pat and we dared any time

to run on us. We also had that guy named Bruce at DE. I could have been the other DE and we would have still be Axl Rose level rock star status on the d line. I wish we did more drafting and developing of nose tackles bc that ***** worked. Let the 2 big guys hold back 3 offensive linemen, plus a chipping rb or te and the Defensive ends fly toward the qb with the occasional blitzes to keep everyone honest.

im just gonna say…me likely very much!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

I will say to the original posters question that I forlornly miss the days when Mount Washington lined up next to Phat Pat and we dared any time

to run on us. We also had that guy named Bruce at DE. I could have been the other DE and we would have still be Axl Rose level rock star status on the d line. I wish we did more drafting and developing of nose tackles bc that ***** worked. Let the 2 big guys hold back 3 offensive linemen, plus a chipping rb or te and the Defensive ends fly toward the qb with the occasional blitzes to keep everyone honest.

im just gonna say…me likely very much!!!

That 99 defense had Bruce, Phil, and Washington. It was arguably the best defense in Bills history and that team, arguably goes to the Super Bowl that year if it wasn’t for MCM. 

13 hours ago, Yantha said:

Change is coming in the 2023 season.  We will have a new DC, with a different philosophy, we've lost our starting MLB and questions remain as to who the starting linebackers will be.  I think it's fair to say that our DL depth is better than our LB depth, but another question has arisen.  "Should we trade Oliver?".

Other questions I've seen come up is IF Bernard is the next man up, will the DL need a Nose Tackle to eat up blocks and help Bernard play to his attributes/abilities?  I'll add that even IF we draft Campbell (or any other rookie MLB...), maybe a nose tackle would help the team overall anyways....  even if Tremaine was still here.

This thread is to discuss defensive schemes, and whether a pure Nose Tackle should be part of the conversation during this draft.  I'm listing profiles of some prospects that can be discussed here as well.

DT Siaki Ika, Baylor (335 lbs) - projected 3rd rounder

DT Keondre Coburn, Texas (332 lbs) - Projected 4th round

DT Brodrick Martin, W. Kentucky (330 lbs) - projected 6th round

Sorry, no highlight video....

love love this idea. seems like a higher impact andddd better use of resources to help the D out then trying to draft a LB'er high. take a big boy, take a mid round backer, sniff around some late cut LBers, and mix in more 3 LB sets. we dont have the personnel for 2 LB D anymore, and even when we did I wasnt in love w/ it

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Edmunds was good at hitting the gaps hard.  Problem was it was usually the wrong gap.

Girlfriends hate this one trick

13 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Depends on what you mean by a Nose Tackle.

Traditionally, the NT position is a 0-Tech defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.  Since Sean McDermott does not run this alignment and probably never will, I don't see us using any resources on a player with this skillset.

Now I have occasionally seen the 1-Tech lineman (4-3 scheme) also referred to as a Nose Tackle, although that's not the most commonly used positional term.  This is the spot played by DaQuan Jones on our defense.  Personally I would like to sign Jones to an extension and keep him as the starter.  But I wouldn't be opposed to adding a backup on Day 3.

a bit random..... did Buff run a 3-4 early Dareus years? Im leaning towards no but cant remember/kinda young to been paying attention to def fronts

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

That 99 defense had Bruce, Phil, and Washington. It was arguably the best defense in Bills history and that team, arguably goes to the Super Bowl that year if it wasn’t for MCM

You get C- instead of an F for abbreviating it, but F-L works if thats the route youre looking for

14 hours ago, aristocrat said:

defense was so vulnerable when jones didn't play so getting another guy is maybe my biggest need for this team tbh. 

I would agree, except I remember our franchise QB scrambling for his ever-loving life in like 3/4ths of last season’s games.

23 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I would agree, except I remember our franchise QB scrambling for his ever-loving life in like 3/4ths of last season’s games.

right tackle also a need and is like 1b for me . Still sort of have hope for spencer brown

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really starting to warm up to the idea of taking Mazi Smith at 27 if all the premier offensive talent is off the board. Straight up monster against the run so him and Daquan would make life extremely easy on whoever is playing MLB next year. Also a freak athlete with long arms which means lots of upside as a pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.