Do the Bills need a Nose Tackle?

Yantha

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wasted thread, imo, while McDermott is HC. He’s strictly a 4-3 guy. No sense dreaming about alternatives.

There's some truth to that.  McD does have a history of the 4-3 dating back to Carolina, carried over to the Bills.  But even in a 4-3, having a bigger DT gives versatility.  Defensive Ends in a 4-3, depending on their measurables will play on the line or off ball.  Von Miller is that type of player.  A hybrid DE/OLB.  When you have a stout DT that COMMANDS double teams allows your Ends to drop back if needed.  

Bottom line is you need the versatility of personnel to make it all work.

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Depends on what you mean by a Nose Tackle.

Traditionally, the NT position is a 0-Tech defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.  Since Sean McDermott does not run this alignment and probably never will, I don't see us using any resources on a player with this skillset.

Now I have occasionally seen the 1-Tech lineman (4-3 scheme) also referred to as a Nose Tackle, although that's not the most commonly used positional term.  This is the spot played by DaQuan Jones on our defense.  Personally I would like to sign Jones to an extension and keep him as the starter.  But I wouldn't be opposed to adding a backup on Day 3.

This.

What I mean moreso is a bigger bodied 4-3 DT that commands double teams on most snaps.  Allows for more flexibility at DE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You know.... I'm not going to die on this Nose Tackle hill....  I love big physical DT's, but looking back at McD's Panthers' roster (that includes Luke Kuechly), the DL had starters around 310-315 lbs (no "nose" measurables....).  If McD's influencing Beane, and we know he is.....  I think that Nose tackles will not be a major focus in this draft.  Love the players though.

What this exercise has taught me though, is that Beane/McD have to be thinking that Campbell is the closest thing to building out this roster with a "Kuechly"-esque player that is currently missing on the roster.

I'm willing to BET that Campbell will be our "reach" in this draft.  (not to hijack my own thread LOL).

Panthers Defense when McD ran the show:

ScreenShot2023-04-10at11_12_53AM.thumb.png.ef75faac08b0e4038e2b171cca5cef07.png

Right or wrong this regime prioritizes position flexibility and movement over size. I'm not even saying that is wrong, but that philosophy gets you burned at times. This defense over multiple seasons under McD gets steamrolled  by physical teams. Then there are times where they hold up against the run quite well. 

All that said, I would favor a big DT and big MLB. Others disagree. DT takes years to develop. Bills SB window is now. MLB and Edge can start right away. I'd favor drafting a MLB and/or edge this year and getting a veteran DT in free agency next year. 

Top 4 picks need to be 3 offense and 1 defense in no particular order. Getting Poyer and probably Hamlin back and the free agent safety buys you another year before needing to address safety in the draft.

54 minutes ago, Yantha said:

You know.... I'm not going to die on this Nose Tackle hill....  I love big physical DT's, but looking back at McD's Panthers' roster (that includes Luke Kuechly), the DL had starters around 310-315 lbs (no "nose" measurables....).  If McD's influencing Beane, and we know he is.....  I think that Nose tackles will not be a major focus in this draft.  Love the players though.

What this exercise has taught me though, is that Beane/McD have to be thinking that Campbell is the closest thing to building out this roster with a "Kuechly"-esque player that is currently missing on the roster.

I'm willing to BET that Campbell will be our "reach" in this draft.  (not to hijack my own thread LOL).

Panthers Defense when McD ran the show:

ScreenShot2023-04-10at11_12_53AM.thumb.png.ef75faac08b0e4038e2b171cca5cef07.png

Solia was a massive nose tackle. And Star was a nose tackle with pretty good size. 

We need more of a penetrating DT more than a traditional nose, see Aaron Darnold, Warren Sapp, John Randle or even a better all around version of Jordan Phillips type. As Da'Quan Jones does a solid job keeping offensive lineman off LBs to make tackles. Yet as eluded we don't have anyone under contract after this season. The guy I'd love for us to land is Keeanu Benton who should be there in Round 2. As he's strong at the point and showed in Senior Bowl practices he's got some speed that didn't use as much with the Badgers. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 1

Mazi Smith is certainly an intriguing pick.  The question is would the bills spend a first round pick to get him.  That's what it will take, of course.  I have my doubts that Buffalo would pull the trigger on a DT that soon.  Basically, IMO, any 1 technique that they acquire either through the draft or elsewhere would be hedging a bet on Tim Settle living up to the promise he should before Buffalo signed him a year ago.  The injury messed up last season for him, but I don't think the Bills have given up on him.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

At the very least they will need to draft someone as none of the DTs on the current roster are signed past this season. You could go anyway you’d like with the draft. And go with a replacement for Jones, or Oliver. Or a hybrid of both. Really anyone over 305lb could do either position in this defense. Assuming the rest of the traits are there. Oliver is way too small for either position imo and should be more like a DE in a 3-4. Or next to someone who’s an absolute monster in the 1T

The situation at DT is easily remedied.

Sign DaQuan Jones to a 2-3 year extension, and the 1-Tech spot is completely set for a couple years.  All you need is depth.

Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle are an adequate rotation at 3-Tech for 2023.  If a nice prospect falls in our lap in the draft, then someone will be expendable.  If not, we can worry about it next season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The situation at DT is easily remedied.

Sign DaQuan Jones to a 2-3 year extension, and the 1-Tech spot is completely set for a couple years.  All you need is depth.

Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle are an adequate rotation at 3-Tech for 2023.  If a nice prospect falls in our lap in the draft, then someone will be expendable.  If not, we can worry about it next season.

I mean, Jones is 31. It’s crazy to think his play will continue moving forward  to even what it was last season. And after this year we would still have nobody at DT beside an even older Jones. 

fwiw I’m not saying to not extend Jones. I’m just arguing that even if you did that you still need help at DT. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Yantha said:

I'm just starting to scratch the surface on this question, but I have to say I'm majorly impressed with that Baylor dude....  Watch his brute strength in the highlight video.  A man amongst boys.  I actually feel bad for those Centers!  lol

Conceptually , i feel this would be a great tweak for the Bills Defense.

They may have tried before but were less successful. Settle and Jones helped against the run game and I hope no one questions that.

Give the new MLB some time/space to read and react and play a step deeper for the sake of under coverages.

Hello Campbell  (lol ? )

Give me two Ted Washingtons in the middle all day long. You can replace Edmunds wingspan in passing lanes with two big boys just getting hand up while standing there as immovable objects.

So yes.

All of them !

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

defense was so vulnerable when jones didn't play so getting another guy is maybe my biggest need for this team tbh. 

Honestly, the last couple years when the 1-Tech has been playing well the entire defense looked different. Hope they extend Jones and take one in the first couple rounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.