Scariest movie?

Success

Saw the other horror thread and it got me thinking about this. What's the scariest movie you've seen?

Context is always part of a discussion like this.  "Nightmare on Elm Street" scared me in a big way, but I was more of a kid. I don't think it would be scary to me today.

It's close, but "It Follows" is probably it for me now.  I'd also add "Hereditary" and "The Vigil" as movies that had me looking over my shoulder.

I saw Alien,  The Thing and Hellraiser when they came out and they spooked me a bit.  I was 9 when Alien came out.  I don't what my mom was thinking when we saw Alien.  I think she thought it a Star Wars type movie,  ha!

Edited by jayg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I prefer psychological thrillers over slasher movies. Two that stand out to me are Silence of the Lambs and The Blair Witch Project.

Forgot about Blair Witch. We've had so many "found footage" since then, it's easy to forget how groundbreaking (and scary) that one was when it came out.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Exorcist.  The Omen.   I love the "slasher" type movies but they don't scare me as much as possession, satanic type movies.  

I was too young to see The Exorcist when it came out in theaters. However, my mom and siblings went so I got to hear the tales of the horrors they witnessed. That was before pay-per-view so It would be years before I had a chance to see it. 

I while ago I was curious about what a phenomenon that movie was back then, so I looked up some articles, news stories and archived videos. It was crazy how after the first few showings, ambulances had to be placed at theaters. People were fainting, throwing up, running out of the theaters and there were a lot of people that needed medical attention. It was definitely a barrier-breaking type movie. Now that stuff is just old-hat.

I have a VERY queasy stomach. So I don't even bother watching the slasher/ movies I know will be overtly bloody. They CAN be scary but me no likey.

But hands down the creepiest scariest darkest movie I have seen was SINISTER.  That one got me GOOD.

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Requiem For A Dream, specifically the last 5-10 minutes of it.  I watched it once, will never watch it again.  

I had a buddy of mine describe this movie, said he just sat there after it ended and was like wtf, so I was like why do that to myself, will not watch it haha

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Exorcist scared the poop out of me visually and mentally.  

There's a deleted scene called the "spider walk scene" that was deemed too scary for the movie. It's pretty creepy. It's on You Tube. I didn't think it was prudent to post here. 

Edited by Fleezoid

The Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal was a solid follow up for sure. After that it was garbage.

Exorcist is right up there for sure. Same with Rosemary's Baby.

As a kid... The House of Wax with Vincent Price, scared the ***** out of me.

I remember when Willard came out... a bunch of cousins were going but my parents wouldn't let me go. After I finally saw it it was "ok".

• Like (+1) 1

The AMC channel did a ranking of scariest movies a few years back, and Jaws was the number one choice.

They asked Rob Zombie why he voted for that movie, and he said, “I’ll put it this way. When it came out, I was in middle school in Ohio. My parents took me to see the movie at the local mall. Afterward, we went into a York Steakhouse inside the mall, and I needed to go to the bathroom. I was afraid to sit on the toilet, because I thought a shark was going to come out and bite my ass off.”

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.