TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Completed!!!

Virgil

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I know you are much more knowledgeable in scoring and ranking players. I also know your are not a fan of Torrence as you don't think he fits our scheme. But, in this particular draft and the way it fell, I would have leaned more towards the OL or need than BPA. Maybe Harrison, Torrence or Schmitz. I of course like Campbell and think he would be a good fit. He still went in the 1st in this draft 4 picks later. I would have taken the trade that Happydays proposed in this case and that is why I changed my vote. 

I think there are some signs that point to Torrence being a legitimate candidate for the Bills. I realize he doesn't fit the scheme or the athletic traits (RAS score) that Beane typically looks for in an OL pick. But there are a few things that stand out with him that align with what McDermott and Beane have said this off season.

1. They want Josh to take less hits. While McD was mainly talking about sliding when running I believe they realize he get hit (and possibly takes harder shots) in the pocket. Well, what would help that more than a guy that gave up exactly ZERO sacks in over 3000 snaps in his college career?

2. McD has mentioned....several times...about seeing the defense play with an edge. However I believe that he would like more edge and nastiness wherever he can get it. Mr. Torrence plays with that nasty that lacks on our OL.

3. They have had 2 visits with him (That I have seen reported) including a Top 30 visit. 

4. IOL has been a priority upgrade for them this season. I believe that in addition to shoring up a weak spot...we know Beane also is always looking at more than just "this year". The signings of McGovern and Edwards combined with how much they like Bates tell me they may be looking into a future without Mitch Morse. If Edwards can return to form under Kromer or Torrence is selected Bates could slide to C this year or next and save the Bills about $8M on the cap by trading/releasing Morse as a post June 1st. They need that money and Bates is solid at C. Makes some sense to me.

Again, while I admit Torrence isn't a perfect fit for the scheme we have seen up to now...I think his attitude on the field, talent level and upside may be enough for Beane to take a chance on in a weak draft

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think there are some signs that point to Torrence being a legitimate candidate for the Bills. I realize he doesn't fit the scheme or the athletic traits (RAS score) that Beane typically looks for in an OL pick. But there are a few things that stand out with him that align with what McDermott and Beane have said this off season.

1. They want Josh to take less hits. While McD was mainly talking about sliding when running I believe they realize he get hit (and possibly takes harder shots) in the pocket. Well, what would help that more than a guy that gave up exactly ZERO sacks in over 3000 snaps in his college career?

2. McD has mentioned....several times...about seeing the defense play with an edge. However I believe that he would like more edge and nastiness wherever he can get it. Mr. Torrence plays with that nasty that lacks on our OL.

3. They have had 2 visits with him (That I have seen reported) including a Top 30 visit. 

4. IOL has been a priority upgrade for them this season. I believe that in addition to shoring up a weak spot...we know Beane also is always looking at more than just "this year". The signings of McGovern and Edwards combined with how much they like Bates tell me they may be looking into a future without Mitch Morse. If Edwards can return to form under Kromer or Torrence is selected Bates could slide to C this year or next and save the Bills about $8M on the cap by trading/releasing Morse as a post June 1st. They need that money and Bates is solid at C. Makes some sense to me.

Again, while I admit Torrence isn't a perfect fit for the scheme we have seen up to now...I think his attitude on the field, talent level and upside may be enough for Beane to take a chance on in a weak draft

Very nice writeup and don't think I could add much to it.

My only additional thoughts would be, we have tried going with the high RAS guys, but we continue to be challenged with our Guard spots. Maybe it's time for something different. The other thing would be, they could still keep Morse if they wanted to and Bates could be the backup for all 3 iol positions. Given Morse's challenges with concussions we'd have a good backup C and maybe use a mid round pick elsewhere this year instead of iol.🤔

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I am still sceptical he is their guy but the top 30 visit is interesting and I hadn't picked that up, thanks. Wonder if they got him on the field at all during that visit and really looked at his movement skills? Interested enough to let Kromer get a closer look it seems. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still sceptical he is their guy but the top 30 visit is interesting and I hadn't picked that up, thanks. Wonder if they got him on the field at all during that visit and really looked at his movement skills? Interested enough to let Kromer get a closer look it seems. 

12 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Very nice writeup and don't think I could add much to it.

My only additional thoughts would be, we have tried going with the high RAS guys, but we continue to be challenged with our Guard spots. Maybe it's time for something different. The other thing would be, they could still keep Morse if they wanted to and Bates could be the backup for all 3 iol positions. Given Morse's challenges with concussions we'd have a good backup C and maybe use a mid round pick elsewhere this year instead of iol.🤔

Bates being the backup at all 3 IOL spots would be the perfect world IMO. Either way regarding Morse, there is a fair amount of risk with him. When healthy he is still a darn good C. Has experience and has been Josh's C for a long time. But that concussion situation as you point out is a concern. From a play standpoint I don't see a huge dropoff between Mitch and Bates. There is some, for sure...but not anything that is a red flag for me. and that cap space they could clear would be huge in getting an additional pass rusher and possibly another target for Josh. I see both sides to this one and would think that overall Beane would go with the experience and leadership Morse provides...at least for one more year.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we are starting to see a slight (and it's only slight at t his point) shift in the though process this off season. With some of the moves they have made it points to me that they may be slowly realizing that status  quo may not be enough unless a perfect storm hits. Having McDermott call the defense and the possibility of a more aggressive look there. Moving on from McKenzie to Harty stands out for me. Going from a guy that is better at "Water bug quickness" than pure straightline speed. Harris over Singletary may be a sign that they know they need a physical presence between the tackles from time to time over a "steady Eddie" that is consistent but neither a bruiser or gamebreaker. And what better type of G to run Harris behind than Torrence? Also, just as an outside the box thought...we all know that when we have Allen go for that QB dive on 3rd and 4th and short...he goes right. That would be likely right where Torrence would plug in. Lining Torrence up next to the mountain of a man Spencer Brown is...it's appealing to me to say the least. I think Kromer can use him in the same manner he used Incognito.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Lining Torrence up next to the mountain of a man Spencer Brown is

Lining Torrence up next to the mountain of a man human turnstile Spencer Brown is is not appealing to me.  If we are looking for a mountain, lets draft Dawand Jones.  Jones is going to be good in the NFL, if he can hold up for the entire NFL season.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Really bummed "we" missed out on Schmitz and/or Tippman. Yet another year of passing on top IOL talent which will end up being a big need once we get into the season.

There's still Wypler and Scruggs.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Really bummed "we" missed out on Schmitz and/or Tippman. Yet another year of passing on top IOL talent which will end up being a big need once we get into the season.

Tippman is still undrafted. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Lining Torrence up next to the mountain of a man human turnstile Spencer Brown is is not appealing to me.  If we are looking for a mountain, lets draft Dawand Jones.  Jones is going to be good in the NFL, if he can hold up for the entire NFL season.  

Now, I fully understand that making Brown (along with Gabe Davis) the new whipping boys are what all the cool kids are doing these days. I get why. But the fact is, Brandon Beane overwhelmingly believes in Brown's potential. Now, I still expect someone else to compete for the position...but my hope is that the rational that Beane has for the struggles Brown has had will be on the money. Brown was always going to take a bit to come into his own....but I can see this as a make or break year for him for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now, I fully understand that making Brown (along with Gabe Davis) the new whipping boys are what all the cool kids are doing these days. I get why. But the fact is, Brandon Beane overwhelmingly believes in Brown's potential. Now, I still expect someone else to compete for the position...but my hope is that the rational that Beane has for the struggles Brown has had will be on the money. Brown was always going to take a bit to come into his own....but I can see this as a make or break year for him for sure. 

Well, Beane already shored up the guard position.  Bates is not great, but just was not the disaster Brown was last year, notwithingstand a GM trying to talk up a player. 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Well, Beane already shored up the guard position.  Bates is not great, but just was not the disaster Brown was last year, notwithingstand a GM trying to talk up a player. 

Beane really has never been the kind of GM to talk up a player. There is always a ton of truth in his statements and how he addresses what he sees in a player with the media. No, he doesn't throw guys under the bus at all...but he doesn't gush about guys either. I take his statement about Brown (as well as Davis and Oliver) pretty close to face value.

I also think that the guard position has question marks still. I would say McGovern is close to a lock to start at LG. Then you have Bates who you say is not great and Edwards who is coming off a down year with the Rams that was ended by injury. I still see the benefit of adding talent there as it would free Bates up to back up all 3 IOL spots. If Edwards steps up, great. If not that spot is open again.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

With the 33rd selection, the Houston Texans select  Joe Tippmann, C Wisconsin.

Tippmann is a plug and play Center for the next 8-10 years to protect your young QB. Houston picks Skoronski in the 1st round and Tippmann in the 2nd round, Bryce Young will have the protection to grow. 

The Arizona Cardinals and @Doc Brown are on the clock. 

@Virgil

Young needs a water bug and a strong defense. Stop wasting your picks on these lineman. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Both these players are seen as centers only. That's an uninspiring 1st round pick IMO. The likes of Ryan Bates have shown to be capable plug and play starters at center. 1st round picks are for more valuable positions that aren't so easy to fill.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.