NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Harris is at like $1.7 million but I’m not arguing to take a RB. I don’t want to take a RB.

All I’m saying is RB is the easiest position to impact early. If they draft a RB and actually give him snaps he’ll produce, 

We drafted Cook in the second round last year and his playing time was extremely limited early on.  That's why I don't think even if we did draft a RB, which doesn't make sense with the much higher needs we have at other positions, the rookie would see significant playing time in such a crowded backfield.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We drafted Cook in the second round last year and his playing time was extremely limited early on.  That's why I don't think even if we did draft a RB, which doesn't make sense with the much higher needs we have at other positions, the rookie would see significant playing time in such a crowded backfield.

It’s not worth debating because they aren’t drafting a RB.

I was hypothetically saying if they did we’d get over it. But they aren’t. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s not worth debating because they aren’t drafting a RB.

I was hypothetically saying if they did we’d get over it. But they aren’t. 

Well, I wouldn't say they aren't with absolute certainty because Beane does love him some RBs.  It would be nice if he and Dorsey got on the same page this season.  Remember Beane's reasoning for trading for Hines?  Never happened.

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Well, I wouldn't say they aren't with absolute certainty because Beane does love him some RBs.  It would be nice if he and Dorsey got on the same page this season.  Remember Beane's reasoning for trading for Hines?  Never happened.

Beane has never shown any type of urgency to bring in a premier RB. So I say no chance.

Only thing I will say is the top RBs haven’t really fallen to the Bills pick in the 1st or 2nd. 

Cook was always going to need some time to develop into a major role. He was more of a 3rd round prospect.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane has never shown any type of urgency to bring in a premier RB. So I say no chance.

Only thing I will say is the top RBs haven’t really fallen to the Bills pick in the 1st or 2nd. 

Cook was always going to need some time to develop into a major role. He was more of a 3rd round prospect.

IDK, on the crazy off chance Robinson were to slide (I don't think it's going to happen) I think Beane would have to give it a pretty hard thought before he passed.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

IDK, on the crazy off chance Robinson were to slide (I don't think it's going to happen) I think Beane would have to give it a pretty hard thought before he passed.  

Agreed. The problem is the chance he falls all the way to us is virtually 0. We'd have to trade up, at least slightly, to get him. And then the calculus isn't just drafting a 1st rd RB when you've spent a 2nd the year prior and a 3rd the previous 2 years before that... it's also trading sparse draft capital during your championship window...

Unless there's a Laremy Tunsil type situation this evening with him or we're able to turn an unneeded player into whatever it takes to move up, I don't see us moving up for Bijan being all that likely...

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I have to wonder if they get a nice package of picks for the #3 pick if it would soften their stance even further of what they would take for Hopkins. I'm sure they would still want what they feel is good value...but it doesn't "make or break" their draft to take slightly less at t hat point to get that contract gone.

It’s not the draft pick compensation, it is the salary cap implications for Bills and Hopkins’ age and recent roid suspension.

Just now, glazeduck said:

Agreed. The problem is the chance he falls all the way to us is virtually 0. We'd have to trade up, at least slightly, to get him. And then the calculus isn't just drafting a 1st rd RB when you've spent a 2nd the year prior and a 3rd the previous 2 years before that... it's also trading sparse draft capital during your championship window...

Unless there's a Laremy Tunsil type situation this evening with him or we're able to turn an unneeded player into whatever it takes to move up, I don't see us moving up for Bijan being all that likely...

That's why my position has always been the only way we take a RB is if it's Robinson and he falls to us at our normal draft position.  Not a likely scenario at all, but just one of those ideas you keep in your back pocket if some crazy things happen on draft day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Not if he has any common sense.

You can't be, on one hand,  hoping to trade back because you have a lot of needs to fill on your roster(as is rumored)...........but then be like "whoa, hold up........a RB is available in round 1?   Well that changes everything."    Now you have LESS picks to address needs.   Because RB isn't one of those needs.

• Agree 1

Kiper's final mock 

27. Buffalo Bills*

Will McDonald IV, OLB, Iowa State

I wanted to slot in Addison here, but I see a fit for McDonald in Buffalo. Although he might not be an every-down player as a rookie, his ceiling is high. I'm a big fan of McDonald's speed game, though he still needs to develop more pass-rush moves.

I also thought about TCU interior offensive lineman Steve Avila, who would fill a hole.

McShay's final mock 

27. Buffalo Bills

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Maybe Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs comes to Buffalo? Perhaps the Bills reach to fill the void at linebacker? Maybe there's a trade down the board that would make sense? I could see any of those options, but to maximize Josh Allen and take some pressure off Stefon Diggs, Buffalo could use another top-tier receiver -- especially with Gabe Davis entering a contract year. Johnston is the biggest of the Day 1 receivers at 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, but he also has downfield speed.

Edited by bearcat
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Kiper's final mock 

7. Buffalo Bills*

Will McDonald IV, OLB, Iowa State

I wanted to slot in Addison here, but I see a fit for McDonald in Buffalo. Although he might not be an every-down player as a rookie, his ceiling is high. I'm a big fan of McDonald's speed game, though he still needs to develop more pass-rush moves.

I also thought about TCU interior offensive lineman Steve Avila, who would fill a hole.

McShay's final mock 

27. Buffalo Bills

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Maybe Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs comes to Buffalo? Perhaps the Bills reach to fill the void at linebacker? Maybe there's a trade down the board that would make sense? I could see any of those options, but to maximize Josh Allen and take some pressure off Stefon Diggs, Buffalo could use another top-tier receiver -- especially with Gabe Davis entering a contract year. Johnston is the biggest of the Day 1 receivers at 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, but he also has downfield speed.

Kiper is smoking his special draft day recipe early today.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not if he has any common sense.

You can't be, on one hand,  hoping to trade back because you have a lot of needs to fill on your roster(as is rumored)...........but then be like "whoa, hold up........a RB is available in round 1?   Well that changes everything."    Now you have LESS picks to address needs.   Because RB isn't one of those needs.

Lots of teams do the very thing you described.  BPA. If Robinson somehow fell to 27, he'd for sure be the best player on the board.

Edited by Billz4ever

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ummmm.... Breece Hall and Jonathan Taylor were available for the Bills

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Kiper is smoking his special draft day recipe early today.

Lots of teams do the very thing you described.  BPA. If Robinson somehow fell to 27, he'd for sure be the best player on the board.

McDonald would be a great pick at # 27. He is a quick twitch get after the QB DE definitely not in the mold of Epenesa or Basham.  He's going to go around the range the Bills pick, possibly even before it. 

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Well for one thing when he has been in the lineup our run blocking has been substantially better, that's pretty much a fact. As for his pass blocking yeah they were definitely some ugly moments but I want to see how much that back injury had to do with that. If the right prospect falls to compete with him I'm good with it but I'm not going out of my way to draft a right tackle and miss out on better players at other positions. 

17 minutes ago, mabden said:

Maybe, if Brown doesn't have back surgery just before training camp, he will play better.

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah….we’re risking our season (and Allen’s health) on “maybe” this guy who was never good, will now be good.  

that’s literally the only thing-  he was recovering from surgery. He’s never shown to be even below average pass protection.  He’s always been bad. 

Brown had more than "some ugly moments" in pass protection.

Bottom line Q for @TheBeaneBandit: Do you think our OL is good enough as presently constituted, with Brown at RT and Quessenberry as the backup/swing?

There are two errors when it comes to young players: Type I or rejecting the assessment that the player is good and should be kept, when he actually is or can be; Type II or accepting the hypothesis that the player is good and keeping him on the roster/counting on him as a starter, when he's actually not. 

Wyatt Teller, and possibly Isaiah Hodgins, are examples of the Type I error.  In both cases there were alternatives on the roster at the time who were seen as better "fits" for the Bills needs at the time (more versatile/could play center or ST). 

Cody Ford was an example of a Type II error.  We drafted him in the 2nd round and gave him 3 full years to show he deserved it, to the detriment of the OL.  He had injuries - torn meniscus, shoulder injury, high ankle sprain.  "He didn't have a full off season to strengthen and train"  was the refrain going into his 2nd and 3rd years. And that may be, but the bottom line is, when a guy is on your team 2 years and has repeated injuries that limit his play, maybe the limited level of play you see is what you're gonna get.  Football is a brutal game and injuries do play a role in lowering the level some guys could otherwise reach.

But at the same time, we had alternatives on the roster who could play RT and IOL at an acceptable level, behind him.

Right now I think Spencer Brown is a Type II error, a player we are keeping/counting on, except that right now we don't have anyone behind him who could start.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

McDonald would be a great pick at # 27. He is a quick twitch get after the QB DE definitely not in the mold of Epenesa or Basham.  He's going to go around the range the Bills pick, possibly even before it. 

I don't hate the idea of a pass rusher, but we've been burned on guys so many times now at DE that I'm really gun shy about taking them early.

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Brown had more than "some ugly moments" in pass protection.

Bottom line Q for @TheBeaneBandit: Do you think our OL is good enough as presently constituted, with Brown at RT and Quessenberry as the backup/swing?

There are two errors when it comes to young players: Type I or rejecting the assessment that the player is good and should be kept, when he actually is or can be; Type II or accepting the hypothesis that the player is good and keeping him on the roster/counting on him as a starter, when he's actually not. 

Wyatt Teller, and possibly Isaiah Hodgins, are examples of the Type I error.  In both cases there were alternatives on the roster at the time who were seen as better "fits" for the Bills needs at the time (more versatile/could play center or ST). 

Cody Ford was an example of a Type II error.  We drafted him in the 2nd round and gave him 3 full years to show he deserved it, to the detriment of the OL.  He had injuries - torn meniscus, shoulder injury, high ankle sprain.  "He didn't have a full off season to strengthen and train"  was the refrain going into his 2nd and 3rd years. And that may be, but the bottom line is, when a guy is on your team 2 years and has repeated injuries that limit his play, maybe the limited level of play you see is what you're gonna get.  Football is a brutal game and injuries do play a role in lowering the level some guys could otherwise reach.

But at the same time, we had alternatives on the roster who could play RT and IOL at an acceptable level, behind him.

Right now I think Spencer Brown is a Type II error, a player we are keeping/counting on, except that right now we don't have anyone behind him who could start.

To be fair, Ford never had flashes of dominance like Brown has nor did Ford have the upside that Brown has.

The reason you can give a young struggling RT time to develop is because you have a Josh Allen who covers up for plenty of Oline deficiencies, you don’t have a statue getting killed on every whiffed block attempt.

Im fine with Brown getting another (injury free) training camp to develop and hopefully improve and become the player they hoped he would become.

That said, I’m totally fine with them replacing him tonight if that’s the plan, I’m not denying there needs to be an upgrade at that spot.

13 minutes ago, julian said:

To be fair, Ford never had flashes of dominance like Brown has nor did Ford have the upside that Brown has.

The reason you can give a young struggling RT time to develop is because you have a Josh Allen who covers up for plenty of Oline deficiencies, you don’t have a statue getting killed on every whiffed block attempt.

Im fine with Brown getting another (injury free) training camp to develop and hopefully improve and become the player they hoped he would become.

That said, I’m totally fine with them replacing him tonight if that’s the plan, I’m not denying there needs to be an upgrade at that spot.

I could always be mis-remembering, but I thought that Ford actually did have those flashes, both as an RT in 2019 and as a G in 2020.  I think it would be pretty strange if they kept a guy for 4 years who didn't flash at all.

The problem was, they remained flashes and squibbed out in 2021 when the Bills were expecting him to take that step and lock down that starting G spot.

I don't mind if the Bills keep Brown, but can we agree they really need to invest in a potential back-up plan better than Quessenberry?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.