Wish they would just sign Klein at lb

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Lorax was partly used because he could line up as extra lineman giving different looks. 

Lorenzo Alexander "One Man Gang" could do a lot of different things with an AP2 list, AFC Player of the month & Pro Bowl berth 1st year with Bills. Bills were best at utilizing him.  I hope they can find someone like him.

Perhaps Sanders from ARK can play that role.  

On 3/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, Beck Water said:

Thanks!

So what I saw from Milano in the years where he got injured, was that even if he was out of position he would stick out an arm where he might injure his pec or scurry to get into position to make a hit where he might pull a hammy

What I think I've seen the last 2 years is that he's worked on his shoestring tackles, where if he's out of position and can't make a solid hit, he'll just get the guy by the feet and hang on.  (Rapp who we recently signed seems to do the same thing)

And, it seems to have worked because (knock wood) he's missed fewer games thelast 2 seasons

Now, what I saw a lot last 2 seasons is Milano would slow a guy up and Edmunds would get there (because Milano had slowed the guy) and seal the deal.  Not sure how that dynamic will work without Edmunds - guess we'll find out.

You typed scurry , in a football forum
God loves you for just that !

If players can slow or redirect an OFF with or without the ball to the coverage its a win. No stat for that btw. Just smart football.
Good eyes in regard to Milano. More of that is needed regardless of position. Matt is a superb player who has shown that dedication to the art makes the difference

Excepting the deep safety of course LOL

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wonder if there is any chance whatsoever that Spector factors in. The guy actually played pretty well in pre season. I’m not looking for this to be plan A but it might not be crazy.

Yikes, I'd completely forgotten about Specter!   I had to go back and read his draft profile on NFL.com and was not excited to see that "range" was listed under weaknesses (though, at the same time, it was called "average").   LBs need to be rangy in McD's D.  

Strengths

Instinctive and in position most of the time.

Plays with excellent fundamentals.

Rapid-fire diagnosis and reaction to play movement.

Leverages his scrape with speed alterations in his slides.

Quickness to flow and contain the outside run.

Comes to balance and tackles with double leg wrap-ups.

Former safety with smooth drops and weaves in zone.

Target awareness allows for tighter squeeze of the route.

Weaknesses

Lean through his lower half.

Won't be a disruptive defender.

Gets jostled around by box traffic.

Lacks ideal length/strength to stack and shed the block.

Needs to become more comfortable playing downhill.

Below-average tackler when it's not in front of him.

Range in coverage is very average.

Lacks twitch to burst and disrupt at the catch point.

Spector's RAS score (9.12) is actually higher than Bernard's (8.85).  

On 3/30/2023 at 10:55 AM, Beck Water said:

So, then, what's your explanation of why the Bills drafted Terrel Bernard?

We have 4 linebackers not named Milano on the roster.   Matakevich is 30 and has started no games for the Bills, played less than 100 snaps, I Get It, he's there for ST.

Dodson is just turning 25, he's said he feels he can start in this league (I dunno if I agree).

Matakevich was a 7th round pick of Pittsburgh, Dodson undrafted - prime territory for picking up ST guys.

Bernard was drafted in the 3rd round.  That is NOT a round where a team should be drafting a guy they don't feel can start.   If it's just "coach speak" to let him compete for the starting MLB gig, why was he drafted in the 3rd?

I think it’s obvious, McDermott was/is a swinger and got tangled up with Bernard’s Aunt, who threatened to put him if they didn’t take her nephew at least 3 rounds earlier than anybody else would.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, John from Riverside said:

Then we truly could take the best player available at 27

LB seems to be a devaluated position by the NFL as a whole, but it also seems the Bills coaches, based on their frequent discussion of Edmunds'  importance the last several years, value the LB position much higher than the NFL as whole. 

In either case based on college production and measurables, it is quite possible Jack Campbell is the best player available if he is there at 27.  Separately NFL.com draft tracker grades Drew Sanders as the ninth highest graded player in the draft.  Again it is quite possible the highest graded / BPA on the board at 27 is a linebacker.  Since its also a position of need for the Bills Campbell, or Sanders would be logical choice, and not a reach based on BPA.  It is similar to the dilemma some have with picking an RB at 27, no matter how good "because in the modern NFL" its not an important position.  

My personal bias is to first worry about protecting Allen with the Bills pick at #27.  I also would be happy with certain WR's, LBs, and TE's with that pick.  The Bills will have legitimate solid choices at 27.  

The added complexity is that the percieved drop off from the linebackers who will be available at 27, vs those likely available at 59 seems to be almost a cliff.  (I think the same is true for the WR spot).  But the drop off from 27 to 59 for the remaining OT's, interior lineman or TE's is a more gradual dropoff.  Baring some really lucky trading or incredible draft luck, it is unlikely the Bills can land an instantly starting solid MLB and an instant starting WR2 that is an upgrade on Davis in the draft.  I do think average luck, and using the first pick on LB or WR, gives the Bills the best chance to land three starters in the draft.  Picking OT first (which is my preference) likely means adding a starter at OT, and one other starter for a total of 2. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Mit schnitzel und spaetzle?

No doubt he enjoys both of said delicacies! 😂 I made some spaetzle last weekend coincidentally as a matter of fact…the key is using Amish roll butter (they do butter old school right) for your sauce base. Luckily I have access to a farmer’s market near me that carries that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.