Mt. Rushmore of 80's Music

I often look at 1984 similar to 1992, as a year a ton of amazing albums were released. Some changing the future of music forever.

Van Halen - 1984

Prince - Purple Rain

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Madonna - Like a Virgin

Sade - Diamond Life

Run DMC - Run DMC

The Smiths - The Smiths

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

ZZ Top - Eliminator

The Police - Synchronicity

Culture Club - Colour by Numbers

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

Lionel Richie - Cant Slow Down

Huey Lewis & The News - Sports

Those were all the same year! And it's not even a complete list.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm making my 80s Mt Rushmore...

Michael

Prince

Madonna

Bruce

Honorable Mentions:

Huey

Lionel

Hall & Oats

Crue

Hall and Oates just missed the cut for my top 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

U2

Talking Heads

The Police

Rush

I am completely with you regarding the Talking Heads and The Police. I did not include them in my list because much of their ground-breaking stuff was made at the end of the 1970s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, DrW said:

I am completely with you regarding the Talking Heads and The Police. I did not include them in my list because much of their ground-breaking stuff was made at the end of the 1970s.

My fav stuff from the 80’s came out in 1980… more like a last gasp of the 70’s. Still, I do like a lot of 80’s singles, they just pale in comparison.

• Agree 1

Madonna

Michael Jackson

Mike and the Mechanics 

Alexander O Neal

On 3/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, BillsPride12 said:

I listen to some of these bands but man this thread is just reassurance the 80s sucked for music!

😅

Edited by Another Fan
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Never thought these guys would get serious traction, but I was wrong:

…..and we’re better for it. 

This reminds me, I meant to include Run DMC in my honorable mentions.

Beasties are one of my all time favs, but I might put them on my 90s list before my 80s? License to Ill is an absolute classic, but as you note, that shift from Paul Boutique-on gave us a truly unique, trailblazing body of work.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Police

Van Halen

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Huey Lewis and the News

I'm slightly editing mine after (adding U2/bumping Huey) reading some others' submissions.

The Police - Easily my favorite band of this era and in my Top 3 bands of all time.  The 80s gave us Zenyatta, Ghost and Synchronicity.  Actually, Regatta was released in October of 1979, and they toured on that album in 1980 and released Bed's Too Big Without You in 1980 ... so that album can be counted as an 80s album, IMO.  To this day, I maintain that the Police's music is a genre of its own.  No other band has done, or does it.

Van Halen - DLR Era 80s albums: Women/Children, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984.  Hagar Era: 5150 and OU812.  Pure f*cking gold and most of their best work in that decade.  Diver Down was a little weak, with the covers, but I still think it was a very good album.  All of the other 80s VH albums, to me, are excellent ... by both iterations of the band.

U2 - I don't know why I left these guys off of my original list.  I loved early U2 (my first album of theirs was War).  The 80s brought us Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle/Hum.  That is an epic list of albums.  Unforgettable Fire is my personal favorite and what I consider to be their last "great" album.  But the last two of the 80s were still pretty damn good.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes was released in late October 1979 and three hits (Refugee, Here Comes My Girl and Even the Losers) were released in 1980.   Then we got Hard Promises, Long After Dark, Southern Accents and Let Me Up (I've Had Enough).  All INCREDIBLY solid albums, each with multiple timeless hits.

I totally believe in the power of this board to turn the 80's into a better decade than my OP... but those were pretty much the headliner acts of the decade (and I'm so glad we've moved on).

Love!!! The Bangles- was a bit young, but the Paisley Underground movement caught my attention.  I hope to have Suzanna Hoffs' lovechild someday:

I got really sick of INXS later on, but they had a couple early tunes that were great!!

I think both of those are fringe players on the Mt. Rushmore.  And then there was the 120 Minutes version of the 80's. 

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I totally believe in the power of this board to turn the 80's into a better decade than my OP... but those were pretty much the headliner acts of the decade (and I'm so glad we've moved on).

Love!!! The Bangles- was a bit young, but the Paisley Underground movement caught my attention.  I hope to have Suzanna Hoffs' lovechild someday:

I got really sick of INXS later on, but they had a couple early tunes that were great!!

I think both of those are fringe players on the Mt. Rushmore.  And then there was the 120 Minutes version of the 80's. 

I'll show up for INXS and Tears for Fears. Very uniquely 80s sounds that maybe affords one of them a spot on the mountain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.