SVB Bank.

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Interestingly enough, and according to the latest stats Blackrock owns about 7 1/2% of the shares. 

starting to think that investment from BlackRock comes with some strings.

you ever read his Letters to the CEO's?

https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/investor-relations/larry-fink-ceo-letter

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Don’t know why they would since that had nothing to do with the current problems. 

Over investing in long term government bonds in the face of rising interest rates as well as investing heavily in crypto isn’t social justice as far as I’m aware. 

Short term yields have gone up faster than longer-term yields, because of Biden Admin’s decisions

which other bonds would you have them buy?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, OrangeBills said:

Short term yields have gone up faster than longer-term yields, because of Biden Admin’s decisions

which other bonds would you have them buy?

I am not a financial expert, so I’m not going to say what they *should* have done. 

My point is that there is zero evidence that SVB’s collapse is due to “wokeism.” The current evidence points to them locking their money into long term bonds in the face of rising rates as the main driver of their issues. 

Instead of people asking “why did this happen?” and trying to find the answer, a lot of people here seem to be asking “how can I find a way to blame people I don’t like regardless of the truth?”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And here we go. You’re claiming that the videos TC showed were ‘untrue’? Interesting take. 

His conclusions were untrue. It wasn’t a peaceful tour of the capitol hence my reference to Barney and sainthood. Guess I need to connect every dot

Edited by redtail hawk

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I am not a financial expert, so I’m not going to say what they *should* have done. 

My point is that there is zero evidence that SVB’s collapse is due to “wokeism.” The current evidence points to them locking their money into long term bonds in the face of rising rates as the main driver of their issues. 

Instead of people asking “why did this happen?” and trying to find the answer, a lot of people here seem to be asking “how can I find a way to blame people I don’t like regardless of the truth?”

Welp. if its that simple, then that bank will just be the first of many?

8 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Welp. if its that simple, then that bank will just be the first of many?

We don’t know yet. 

This is the start of a classic bank run panic. Depositors are concerned that their money won’t be available anymore so they are trying to withdraw it. It’s basically that famous scene from It’s A Wonderful Life

Even smaller banks who don’t have underlying issues would be at risk if their customers wrongly believe there’s an issue and begin to withdraw all of their funds. 

The FDIC and Treasury stepping in to guarantee all depositors at SVB and Signature Bank is meant to send a message to consumers that their money is safe no matter which bank it’s in. 

The question is whether or not the public will believe this. The FDIC can cover the deposits for these banks with its own funds. If people stop withdrawing funds from their banks, we’ll probably be ok after a short but bumpy ride. 

If people continue to withdraw their funds, it’ll put additional banks at risk to the point that we would need Congress to step in to provide a bigger backstop and fight the panic. 

There’s a broader conversation to have about ways to prevent this and potential punishment for the risk managers at SVB, but ensuring depositor confidence is the #1 thing you have to do if you want to have a chance at preventing a broader collapse. 

Thankfully, the government is not backstopping investors or management for these banks. Just depositors. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

His conclusions were untrue. It wasn’t a peaceful tour of the capitol hence my reference to Barney and sainthood. Guess I need to connect every dot

It would probably be easier to stop being disingenuous. Does ol’ red have it in him? Rhetorical question. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Pot meets kettle. You can’t make this stuff up…

I would love it for you to cite an example. You must have some in mind. Hopefully something similar to the Barney Frank non-employee/1M garbage you are running with. 

• Like (+1) 1

People need to calm down and stop the blame thing.

Thankfully, it seems rational heads have prevailed.

The system is highly leveraged and depends on confidence.

When the confidence is challenged, it is best for all to calm down and stop the unnecessary, and extremely dangerous political warfare.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

I believe some of our "progressive" members here have already assigned blame to Trump on page one.  Its only been 3 years. 

I should talk.  I was going to suggest it was Alan Greenspan for setting the precedent, followed by every successor to the former chairman, the Fed would backstop the industry with bailouts and accommodation when necessary while insuring that all risks of loss will be socialized and profits would still be kept private.  So take risks and be as reckless as you want because you will never be hurt.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I believe some of our "progressive" members here have already assigned blame to Trump on page one.  Its only been 3 years. 

I should talk.  I was going to suggest it was Alan Greenspan for setting the precedent, followed by every successor to the former chairman, the Fed would backstop the industry with bailouts and accommodation when necessary while insuring that all risks of loss will be socialized and profits would still be kept private.  So take risks and be as reckless as you want because you will never be hurt.  

Yeah, in a short term crisis, you got to do what it takes to save the economy, even if it rewards the bad actors. 

But then when things have stabilized, it’s crucial to put in place mechanisms to prevent future crises and/or create tools that allow for resolution without rewarding bad actors.

We’re generally good at the first part and bad at the second part. So we get (as you aptly described) privatized profits and socialized losses. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1

Last year my uncle said he'd gladly pay higher gas prices just as long as Trump isn't President.  I wonder if he will feel the same way once the stock market and real estate markets dump and he has to unretire and get a job as a Walmart greeter

• Like (+1) 2

Only white men could have prevented SVB according to Tucker.

Oh - Tucker’s employer:

LIFE AT FOX

“DIVERSITY & INCLUSION

Building A Diverse And Inclusive FOX

We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success, and we’re deeply committed to diversity and inclusion, including attracting, retaining and promoting diverse talent across our company.

The exchange of different ideas and viewpoints drives innovation and inspires powerful storytelling that resonates with audiences everywhere. Through targeted initiatives on screen and off, we ensure that our broad base of viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented and celebrated.

We want to ensure that every person at FOX feels that they belong here and that each of us appreciates and values all our colleagues’ uniqueness and creativity. Through FOX ALL IN: Employee Resource Groups, employees have the opportunity to participate in various groups to share common interests, identities and pursuits with colleagues from around the company. Our resource groups provide opportunities for learning and development, networking, and growth.”

You can’t make this up. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2e22f339aeb86e0b246c61163ec8fd23.jpeg

51 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Only white men could have prevented SVB according to Tucker.

Oh - Tucker’s employer:

LIFE AT FOX

“DIVERSITY & INCLUSION

Building A Diverse And Inclusive FOX

We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success, and we’re deeply committed to diversity and inclusion, including attracting, retaining and promoting diverse talent across our company.

The exchange of different ideas and viewpoints drives innovation and inspires powerful storytelling that resonates with audiences everywhere. Through targeted initiatives on screen and off, we ensure that our broad base of viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented and celebrated.

We want to ensure that every person at FOX feels that they belong here and that each of us appreciates and values all our colleagues’ uniqueness and creativity. Through FOX ALL IN: Employee Resource Groups, employees have the opportunity to participate in various groups to share common interests, identities and pursuits with colleagues from around the company. Our resource groups provide opportunities for learning and development, networking, and growth.”

You can’t make this up. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2e22f339aeb86e0b246c61163ec8fd23.jpeg

There is more……the obvious racial quotas to virtue signal but unfortunately collapse Western Civilization wasn’t his focus 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillStime said:

More accomplished white men:

Ok?  

Do they want a Digital Currency System?  Was that the goal in Ohio?  

That’s what Tucker is talking about.  

But you enjoy your stay in Delusional Land.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You guys are idiots with your BS Fox News crap. This happened because of greed, plain and simple.

Man made Covid hysteria led to it - government (which totally cares about you) caused that.   

This took about 1 year after masks came off.  Can’t wait to see what’s next.  

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You guys are idiots with your BS Fox News crap. This happened because of greed, plain and simple.

All of the major banks have DEI programs. This is just the brain worms crowd reflexively blaming anything bad on anything that they don’t like, regardless if there’s any actual connection. 

I used to work for one of the largest banks in the country. There were mandatory DEI trainings and voluntary DEI resource groups. One of the voluntary book clubs even read White Fragility. 

Why didn’t the banks plummet then? Why is it suddenly, years and years after those types of programs were implemented that it’s a problem?

The answer is because the problems affecting SVB (being long on low yield government bonds in the face of rate hikes), Signature Bank (heavy investing in the crypto bubble), and smaller regional banks (bank run risks due to consumer concerns about SVB and Signature) have absolutely nothing to do with DEI. 

It’s fine to criticize DEI programs, but people pretending they had anything to do with this are just bragging about their own ignorance. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Man made Covid hysteria led to it - government (which totally cares about you) caused that.   

This took about 1 year after masks came off.  Can’t wait to see what’s next.  

You are so brainwashed.

The adults are talking about complicated things now. I believe you may be more comfortable in the Desantis or Tucker threads. Maybe there's even a Hunter Biden laptop conversion you could contribute to.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You are so brainwashed.

The adults are talking about complicated things now. I believe you may be more comfortable in the Desantis or Tucker threads. Maybe there's even a Hunter Biden laptop conversion you could contribute to.

Next to the Hamlin body double guy, he might be the most braindead poster on this site. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Next to the Hamlin body double guy, he might be the most braindead poster on this site. 

That guy is just nuts.  Blitz is either blitzed or just enchanted by the dark side.  Maybe we should add "blitzers" to @L Ron Burgundy's funny list.

Edited by redtail hawk

23 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They need someone other than trump or the morons running those banks to blame.  Has absolutely nothing to do with DEI.  Surprised he didn't blame Jews.  On the plus side, it looks like there are still some sane people left in Fla.  Kat Abu posted from Flagler Beach,, imo one of the nicer Fla areas.

Edited by redtail hawk

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Diversity is the big boogie man to them 

Tucker is a white supremacist...or at least plays one on TV.  I favor the former over the latter.  I think he must have had a childhood like Daisy in the Amazon series Daisy and the Six - ignored and unloved.  so much anger for a rich guy.  What's he missing or not getting?

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inflation-report-arrives-as-fed-confronts-bank-failures-5f0e10ae

this is the quandary.  Consumer spending is still too high to slow inflation enough.  Make credit more expensive and it goes down.  Seems like holding rate increases for a few months and stopping deferred payment from consumers to credit companies in that time while card rates increase might be a good strategy.  on the bright side, stock futures are up again this am.

Edited by redtail hawk