Graham Glasgow, veteran guard, now available

msw2112

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/nfl-news-broncos-release-graham-glasgow-to-create-cap-space/

Is this the type of player the Bills need to add in Free Agency?  The Bills obviously have to do some restructuring to create cap space, but a guy like Glasgow could be an improvment at the guard position.  I don't know what he'll command on the free agent market, but he likely won't be cheap.  I have to assume that the Bills will be checking in with Glasgow's agent.

I think he's an upgrade over Saffold, although that isn't saying much.  He may be an upgrade over Bates too, although that's more debatable.  Glasgow can play center, too, so he adds versatility and flexibliity in the event Morse sustained an injury.  You could potentially leave Bates or Glasgow at guard and move the other over to center.  Here's another link to an article out of Michigan, where Glasgow played his college ball and a few seasons with the Lions.  It looks like he was a very good player with the Lions and cashed in on a big free agent contract with the Broncos.  The Broncos were a disaster top to bottom and are cleaning house, so Glasgow's big salary doesn't make sense for them.  Maybe he's got something left in the tank.

I have an admitted bias towards Glasgow, as a Michigan fan.  I know that he was a walk-on who busted his butt to become a starter and worked his way up to becoming a 3rd round NFL pick.  He started and played well in the NFL and got himself a big free agent deal.  He's a "process" guy that might be a good fit for the Bills culture.  To me, it boils down to cost and whether he has anything left in the tank.  Age 30 isn't too old at the guard position.  This appears to me to be the kind of player a team like the Bills would add, while also drafting and developing another guard.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/03/former-lions-michigan-offensive-lineman-reportedly-released-by-broncos.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/nfl-news-broncos-release-graham-glasgow-to-create-cap-space/

Is this the type of player the Bills need to add in Free Agency?  The Bills obviously have to do some restructuring to create cap space, but a guy like Glasgow could be an improvment at the guard position.  I don't know what he'll command on the free agent market, but he likely won't be cheap.  I have to assume that the Bills will be checking in with Glasgow's agent.

"Oh, you don't get a quality starting guard for nothing
You don't get good blocking for free"

Sorry, saw your avatar and had to.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

Love the reference.  And "quality starting guard" and "good blocking" is why I think the Bills should consider Glasgow.  And he seems like the type of guy that would be a Rush fan.

I don't know Graham. But I do know 70s Geddy, Alex and Neil! Thanks for throwing him out there. I'm sure some more O-line experts will opine on him. But, yes, we do need at least one interior line upgrade via free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

Edward Edinburgh is more my style of player.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He's not bad, but I would consider Eddie Edinburgh or Alex Aberdeen first.

I would also pay attention to Dwight Dundee.

Well, damn. Great minds

Edited by MiltonWaddams

I'm in favor of any of the above.  I started the post because I saw that Glasgow was available and I know a little bit about his background.  I know more about him than I do about Edinburgh, Aberdeen, or Dundee.  I just want to see the Bills add a quality veteran at guard, along with drafting a younger one too.  (And a WR and a Safety, but that's for another thread.)

• Like (+1) 1

I think Glasgow makes sense as a depth add. He can challenge and push Bates for playing time. If he winds up being a backup he definitely raises the floor for depth. He has played a ton of center and guard in the league. He’s a better Greg Van Roten. They should be aiming higher ar starting guard. 

32 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

No more signing vets for the offense and drafting defense. We need to fill holes on the defense in FA and get younger on offense through the draft. 

With the Bills defensive scheme seeming to have been exposed by the Bengals.  Plus the fact the Bills have only 1 starting player who could clearly be traded for a first round pick (Allen),  and the large number of free agents it seems almost like the Bills have slipped into rebuild mode, albeit with a super star QB in place. 
I feel like for the next run, the Bills should do exactly what you said.  We should be drafting online and WRs with our early picks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

With the Bills defensive scheme seeming to have been exposed by the Bengals.  Plus the fact the Bills have only 1 starting player who could clearly be traded for a first round pick (Allen),  and the large number of free agents it seems almost like the Bills have slipped into rebuild mode, albeit with a super star QB in place. 
I feel like for the next run, the Bills should do exactly what you said.  We should be drafting online and WRs with our early picks. 

Agreed.  I'd go FA to replace Poyer (Rapp from LA),and draft a Guard/Center (Avail from TCU or Tippman from Wisconsin, swing at Patterson from ND in a later round).  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Agreed.  I'd go FA to replace Poyer (Rapp from LA),and draft a Guard/Center (Avail from TCU or Tippman from Wisconsin, swing at Patterson from ND in a later round).  

I think it is possible to trade out of 27 and maneuver to end up with both Avi;a from TCU and Tippman from Wisconsin

image.thumb.png.f828ab8fafaaf0abc1243257ea3322d0.png

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Glasgow makes sense as a depth add. He can challenge and push Bates for playing time. If he winds up being a backup he definitely raises the floor for depth. He has played a ton of center and guard in the league. He’s a better Greg Van Roten. They should be aiming higher ar starting guard. 

if you can improve the depth ? and the money /contract works. You kinda have to.
More to the equation of course :)

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

No more signing vets for the offense and drafting defense. We need to fill holes on the defense in FA and get younger on offense through the draft. 

Whatever it takes !
You can find some younger in FA i bet.

That guy from the Titans Sal M.  mentioned ?
But it has to be fixed. And I too prefer getting starters or high ceiling guys in the draft. As long as Kromer can coach them up and they have the feet and hands and smarts(enough)

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Another backup caliber OL? Our entire OL room is backup caliber except Dawkins and maybe Morse, whose best days are in the past. No thanks. We need ABOVE average OL or better, not guys like Graham Glasgow or Nate Davis.

We need upgrades and future state at nearly every position on the O line

never hurts to Also improve the back ups.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.