Draft Prospect Interviews with Bills - Post 'em here

Yantha

THREE prospects have met with the Bills on "multiple occasions".

1.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

2.  RB Bijan Robinson

3.  WR Jordan Addison

PRIVATE workouts outside of the combine or pro day arguably shows elevated interest:

1.  DT Gervon Dexter

2.  DT Jaquelin Roy

3.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

So for all the OG additions in the FA, we've not been talking all that much about GUARD.  Most of us, myself included have shifted over to RT, and MLB as "top needs".

.....don't be overly surprised if we go with the best OG in the draft in round 1.....

Source:  https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

11 minutes ago, Yantha said:

1.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

2.  RB Bijan Robinson

3.  WR Jordan Addison

PRIVATE workouts outside of the combine or pro day arguably shows elevated interest:

1.  DT Gervon Dexter

2.  DT Jaquelin Roy

3.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

So for all the OG additions in the FA, we've not been talking all that much about GUARD.  Most of us, myself included have shifted over to RT, and MLB as "top needs".

.....don't be overly surprised if we go with the best OG in the draft in round 1.....

I've read here many times by knowledgeable posters that Torrence is not a fit for our O-line scheme. So what's happening?
1) The fans' scouting is off.

2) The Bills pros' scouting is off.

3) The Bills know he's not a natural fit but want to take him and make him work in our scheme all the same (they have a history, like with AJ and Basham of trying to change early-round picks).

4) The Bills want to change their O-line scheme.

5) It's a red herring to throw off our true drafting intentions.

I'm curious what those with more expertise think as this seems like a disconnect.

Edited by Nephilim17

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I've read here many times by knowledgeable posters that Torrence is not a fit for our O-line scheme. So what's happening?

3) The Bills know he's not a natural fit but want to take him and make him work in our scheme all the same (they have a history, like with AJ and Basham of trying to change early-round picks).

I'm curious what those with more expertise think as this seems like a disconnect.

Or maybe we're trying to get intel on a teammate of Torrence's like DT Gervon Dexter Sr. who he practiced against. As we do have a need for a DT and Dexter is one of those guys that has the size we seem to love. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

If I had to guess, the Bills top priority is to upgrade the OL anyway possible whether that is upgrading Bates or Brown or both on the RT side. Bates is only getting about 4 mil per year and is the primary backup at Center so moving him back to the bench is not out of the question imo and may be the reason they think McGovern will be the LG.

I don’t think the scheme part is much of a concern when they are looking for talent. Torrence is certainly bigger and less of a mover than they normally have on the line but it doesn’t mean he can’t play RG in our system. They also interviewed Steve Avila who is pretty athletic for his size but not an above 9 RAS guy like most of our line now. I don’t think Torrence will be the guy we take but I think it shows we are looking very, very closely at OL this draft. Or at least that is wishful thinking for me.

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'd go with #4.  

I think that there is change coming in 2023.  We may have as many as 3 new starters on the O-line as it was exposed last season as a weakness.  I also think that there is a desire for an in your face style of running game to compliment what we know Josh can do.  

Change is coming!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I'd go with #4.  

I think that there is change coming in 2023.  We may have as many as 3 new starters on the O-line as it was exposed last season as a weakness.  I also think that there is a desire for an in your face style of running game to compliment what we know Josh can do.  

Change is coming!

The Sporting News top 140. They have Wright at 41 and Washington at 44. (FWIW....Sanders at 33 and Campbell at 70.)

OBL was looking at the Defenses in our division and we are gonna have to be tuff on the Oline. Darnell Washington would be a good add. Give me him and Avila after the 1st rd.

My dream for the Bills is and has been Iowa TE Sam LaPorta who unfortunately is not on the visit list.  He plays like Gronkowski 2.0 and a new mock by CBS Sports has him going to the Cowboys at 26.  Sure hands, nose for the game and demonstrated high YAC.    

1 minute ago, jethro_tull said:

My dream for the Bills is and has been Iowa TE Sam LaPorta who unfortunately is not on the visit list.  He plays like Gronkowski 2.0 and a new mock by CBS Sports has him going to the Cowboys at 26.  Sure hands, nose for the game and demonstrated high YAC.    

He is not Rob Gronkowski. For all the catches, Gronkowski was a hell of a blocker, something that LaPorta is not. Laporta reminds me of a Noah Fant type. 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, Nephilim17 said:

I would say it's 3 or 5. Also just due diligence. Maybe they want to take a closer look. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2023 at 2:01 PM, Yantha said:

1.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

2.  RB Bijan Robinson

3.  WR Jordan Addison

1.  DT Gervon Dexter

2.  DT Jaquelin Roy

3.  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

It would take quite a bit to surprise me at this point.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We're doing a lot of work on TEs. It feels like a guarantee that we'll be drafting a TE2 at some point.

I hope it is the later rounds or pick a TE in 1st or 2nd only if a TE is the BPA.    The Bills haven't figured out how to maximize Knox in the passing game.   The Bills need to make Knox their #2 receiver and focus on getting OL protection in the draft.  Otherwise, with two TE, we will be simply using them for blocking at the Line and blocking downfield with no one to catch. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.