Bills re-sign Ike Boettger

KingBoots8

On 3/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Good depth, still young, has potential at G and C. 

He’s fine for depth.  RB’s and O Linemen get hurt.  You want depth on the defensive line to keep them fresh, but O Line as they get banged up.  

Hopefully we still go after two starters, possibly one under 30 Guard in FA, and one in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

So I like Ike. I am not willing to give up on Spencer unless I get a can't pass it up opportunity. I am less excited by Bates. I think he should be in a competition for a job. Their priority should be getting the best FA guard available and work it out from there.

I agree.  I also agree with many on here that he has to go back to LG and I will add that he needs to work full time at the position.

Get a true C backup for Morse.

Edited by ColoradoBills

I like Ike. I always did. But he is 29 in October and coming off his second achilles. He was a raw, late bloomer at Iowa and took some time in the NFL. The notion that he is young with upside is misguided and inaccurate. At the same time I think he represents safisfactory, cheap, functional depth. But if he is starting at guard come September, something went wrong. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

He can play all 3 interior OL positions poorly.

Funny but true. He's better than Saffold at least.  I'm ok with him as depth but there's no way I want him as a starter anymore than Brown at RT.  We gotta draft 2 olineman. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

On 3/5/2023 at 9:40 AM, machine gun kelly said:

He’s fine for depth.  RB’s and O Linemen get hurt.  You want depth on the defensive line to keep them fresh, but O Line as they get banged up.  

Hopefully we still go after two starters, possibly one under 30 Guard in FA, and one in the draft.

It is odd how game has changed.  There used to be defense lines where starters would rarely go out and backups were happy when they got any reps not in blowout games but current model is waves of defense linemen.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

So I like Ike. I am not willing to give up on Spencer unless I get a can't pass it up opportunity. I am less excited by Bates. I think he should be in a competition for a job. Their priority should be getting the best FA guard available and work it out from there.

Agree.  I would add that the likelihood of Morse going down for an extended period is high so it's really about starter level replacements for both the guards and center.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Ike is not that bad
He’s just not someone you would want starting all season

Those players are still needed

Bills used to have a swing tackle (I think he was a 4th round pick) who could play either position and sometimes was 6th OL but when forced to play multiple games as starter his performance went down and he did not have the ability to be a full time starter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.