Bills re-sign Ike Boettger

KingBoots8

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good signing. Hope he is a training camp cut. They should be able to find better but he is decent insurance policy.

So, is he a good signing or is he the guy you want cut in training camp? Seems like you’re contradicting yourself in that statement.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I like Ike. I am not willing to give up on Spencer unless I get a can't pass it up opportunity. I am less excited by Bates. I think he should be in a competition for a job. Their priority should be getting the best FA guard available and work it out from there.

I thought Bates played better at LG the year before. I wasn’t a fan of moving him to RG. Maybe we get a RG and move him back. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Did everyone miss the fact this the article referenced in the original post was from 2022? 

Hahaha yeah I certainly did and I’m the one who posted it. Saw it on the app but there was no way to share it. Apologies for that (I’m certainly no Yolo lol)

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

So, is he a good signing or is he the guy you want cut in training camp? Seems like you’re contradicting yourself in that statement.

A good signing but I'm hoping with draft and free agency they can do better. If he was the last oline to make the team it would be fine. He's cheap. Knows the system. 

Nice depth back. Always felt comfortable if Ike had to fill in. Familiar with the system and players. These type of signings will be the key to this off-season 

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

I thought Bates played better at LG the year before. I wasn’t a fan of moving him to RG. Maybe we get a RG and move him back. 

I think they thought Staffold would be very good at LG and pulled the trigger on a 1 year deal.  Bates looked way better in 21 imo as well. Hoping we pick up a nasty RG in the 1st 3 rds 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Gunner who’s the projected guard in the draft that’s just monstrous in size and strength that might fall to us? Don’t mean to put you on the spot but you’re my go-to expert all things draft.

I don't think that profile fits Kromer's preference for athletic linemen. Zone blocking is what they WANT to be good at. McD has ALWAYS wanted them to be good at zone blocking. Which requires more athletic guys who work together as they move. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Gunner who’s the projected guard in the draft that’s just monstrous in size and strength that might fall to us? Don’t mean to put you on the spot but you’re my go-to expert all things draft.

Either Andrew Vorhees, USC... or Matt Bergeron from Syracuse as a tackle - guard convert... in the 2nd. Or Braden Daniels, Utah in the 3rd. 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Bates is fine if he is your worst starter on the line and there are better starters all around him. It's very difficult to have strong starters at every spot.

I think he is okay. But I don't think he should be guaranteed a job. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Either Andrew Vorhees, USC... or Matt Bergeron from Syracuse as a tackle - guard convert... in the 2nd. Or Braden Daniels, Utah in the 3rd. 

I think he is okay. But I don't think he should be guaranteed a job. 

If you find a player that’s better than beats at left guard then that’s fine but I think he is a starting quality guard

Ike being back is going to help you have a quality back up at three different positions

We really need to solidify that right guard position and hope that Spencer Brown settles in this year. I would also draft competition for Spencer Brown.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Good move. Ike is that guy who you are never quite satisfied with as a starter but who is a very solid backup who isn't gonna be a turnstile. Still need an upgrade at the starting spot.... but a healthy Ike is better than 2022 shell of Roger Saffold.

Agreed.  If Ike is our 6th or 7th best Olinemen that can't play Center we are doing well.  In 2021, when Ike started our Oline was above average or the best it has been in the Beane/McD era.  Bates and Ike are very serviceable.  Sign one great Olinemen and draft one early and we can turn this around quick.  Ike back after a year recovered from injury is an upgrade.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I like Ike. I am not willing to give up on Spencer unless I get a can't pass it up opportunity. I am less excited by Bates. I think he should be in a competition for a job. Their priority should be getting the best FA guard available and work it out from there.

Agreed, go get an above average Guard in FA.  I like Bates more than you.  But, Bates and Ike are not two answers, but part of one answer and a back up.  IMO, between the two of them they can play one starting OG position.  Great contract on Ike!

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Bates is fine if he is your worst starter on the line and there are better starters all around him. It's very difficult to have strong starters at every spot.

Agreed

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yea, I’d like to see them move Bates back over to LG and draft a RG on day one or two. 

Totally agree, I think Bates is better at LG (and covers back up C).

17 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Nobody’s saying that, he’s good depth though, which is great because football is a violent sport, y’know?

If your going to post here you better understand very obvious sarcasm..... Geez.. Where were you during my real estate sales days?   

On 3/3/2023 at 3:08 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

When I opened your link, it was from last year. Here's today's link: https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-re-sign-g-ike-boettger-to-one-year-deal

On 3/3/2023 at 5:56 PM, Draconator said:

Did everyone miss the fact this the article referenced in the original post was from 2022? 

Well you missed that Albany did not and posted correct article.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.