Benford is our next strong safety

Success

3 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is worth its own thread, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the need to draft a safety early, assuming that Poyer won't be a Bill this season.

Benford has the measurables & the skllls that are needed.  He would be a backup for years if he stays at CB on this team.  He's too good to just be a backup, and I think he could have a very successful transition to SS w/ the right coaching.

My heart will sink a bit if I see the Bills draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round (or even the 3rd), simply to replace Poyer.  They need to focus on the trenches. We have skilled players on the roster right now that can pick up the slack in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.  

I am on board with trying it. He has the measurables for the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

I could see this happening. We'll have to see what happens. Also, how long would it take him to make the transition? I do like his potential though. I'd hate to see us use a day 1 or 2 pick on defense unless Oliver gets traded.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:
Alan Williams made this transition from corner to safety and did pretty well at it. We’ve seen this before.
George Wilson even converted from WR and it didn't take him very long either.

Edited by GreggTX

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Benford at safety?  Worth a shot but playing Safety is a COMPLETELY different football game compared to linebacker.  I was tasked to make that position switch, and it was a disaster.

Maybe he has the skills.....   I didn't. LOL.

Worth a try.

OK I believe you may have Bills 2022 6th Rd pick Christian Benford, CB Villanova confused with Bills 2022 3rd Rd pick, Terrel Bernard, LB Baylor

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I'd hate to see us use a day 1 or 2 pick on defense unless Oliver gets traded.

This is why i'm against trading Ed Oliver. Yes, we'd save 10 million dollars. But we'd have to then use premium resources in a top Draft pick or cap equity to replace him. With Jordan Phillips also a Free Agent, we'd be down to just Daquan Jones and Tim Settle at DT. So how much are we really saving by getting rid of him?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Aaron Williams was the CB from TX who transitioned to S 

Thank you

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is why i'm against trading Ed Oliver. Yes, we'd save 10 million dollars. But we'd have to then use premium resources in a top Draft pick or cap equity to replace him. With Jordan Phillips also a Free Agent, we'd be down to just Daquan Jones and Tim Settle at DT. So how much are we really saving by getting rid of him?

You could draft a guy and you could get an older vet to take up that spot and still save money. Sheldon Rankins comes to mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

I can't say that I'd feel very good about going into next season with him being our starter, having never played the position before. 

Agreed. Sign a veteran at an average salary to compete. Same for MLB. These are not positions I want to be spending something like $15 mill/yr on. We need that money for a guy like Orlando Brown and Saffold's replacement/upgrade as well. I'd say draft those guys, but you know what you're getting from a FA usually. Use the draft for wideouts, Oliver's replacement, interior OL after day 1, RB, etc. We need to go to 'win now' mode. I want to see 2 big OL signings or I'll be writing 2023 off as another 'not good enough' season. Time to get serious about an OL that can carry the load.

7 hours ago, Yantha said:

Benford at safety?  Worth a shot but playing Safety is a COMPLETELY different football game compared to linebacker.  I was tasked to make that position switch, and it was a disaster.

Maybe he has the skills.....   I didn't. LOL.

Worth a try.

Thanks for inserting common sense.  Just because there are rare examples like Ronnie Lott who converted from CB to Safety, and a different NFL back at that time doesn’t mean a CB can convert to Safety.

It’s a completely different role.  I’m not saying Benford can’t learn over time, but it’s a process.

The most I’m willing to say is we’ll see.

• Agree 1

We NEED a safety!!  I dont think it is a good plan to move a good prospect from CB to be an experimental safety as plan A.  

We need to get a guy that can start at S for the first game.  How sure can we be that Benford is that guy?  

If Benford is moved to we would need to find another CB to fill that spot.  

18 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

We NEED a safety!!  I dont think it is a good plan to move a good prospect from CB to be an experimental safety as plan A.  

We need to get a guy that can start at S for the first game.  How sure can we be that Benford is that guy?  

If Benford is moved to we would need to find another CB to fill that spot.  

Oh this regime will 100% draft a corner somewhere in the draft. They have actually done a really good job at the DB position. It’s one of the least of my worries as a fan honestly. There are really interesting DBs in the draft, and there are some slower zone corners in FA and the draft who could transition the safety the same way Hyde and Poyer did. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Looks good. No thanks. Go all offense the first three rounds…. 

I hear you. I think there is a zero percent chance they do that. But they have done some strange things in the past. Unless one of those receivers drops to 27 or they take Bijan Robinson or a tight end, I think the value will be defense round 1, defense and OL round 2-3, and WR round 4. JMO. 

7 minutes ago, gjv said:

Benford has never played one down at safety, so why are people so sure he can thrive in that position next season? 

I don't think anyone knows for sure. But It was a discussion pre-draft and a projection and McBeane has discussed it. Personally, I wouldn't move him until he proves he can't play corner

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The value always seems to be defense no matter where they pick in the first round… if that’s the case I’d hope they’d trade back and grab more picks or trade up and ensure a WR they really like. 

Really tired of the heavy defensive investment as the defense subsequently gets blasted in the playoffs. 

Yeah i like a trade back as well, unless one of those receivers are there. There seems to be a consensus that there are only like 15i-sh first round players in the draft, so I would prefer to have an extra 2nd 3rd or 4th (I think the strength is in that range.)

12 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I like the idea, just bring in a low cost vet to compete with him.

It wouldn't be smart to go all in on a 6th round sophemore who hasn't played the position before.

By the time the playoffs come around, he'll be a veteran at the position. 

Go draft offense.   All playoff games will be shootouts anyway.   Let's make sure we can win that way.   Philly had a monster defense and it got smoked.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm 100% down for Benford taking over Poyer's position and I'm sure there will be some growing pains. But it's probably a guarantee that this will be Micah's last season. Somewhere in the draft (hopefully not in the first 3 rounds) McD is grabbing a safety. 

Do we know for sure Micah is coming back?  Between his cap hit and neck injury is there a chance he’s cut?  I hate to think about no Poyer or Hyde but that Hyde injury reminds me of Aaron Williams injury years back. Neck injuries can change everything 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.