Would you guys trade one of Elam/Benford/Jackson?

JerseyBills

Elam was frustrating but still has upside. Jackson is an RFA and who knows about Benford at this point. They won’t trade Elam and Jackson/Benford have little value. There’s no deal to be made here. Plus, they can’t trade away cheap contracts.

Edited by Airseven
  • Like (+1) 1

Jackson is a zone only corner who will get non tendered and possibly sign back for cheap. Benford is a small school kid who played 9 games and was up and down before he got hurt. Elam is the only guy with value, but turning a first last year into say a 5th this year is not good business. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, that doesn’t really compute he was starting for us the year before last, and holding his own

I mean I get it it happens. I’ve seen players do well one year and then fall off the map it’s just that DaneJackson didn’t seem like that type to me. I really like the secondary guys that we get from pit.

At no point was Jackson starting out of anything but desperation.

Don’t get me wrong, I like him, but he’s not special in the least bit.

Edited by DCofNC

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

At no point was Jackson starting out of anything but desperation.

Don’t get me wrong, I like him, but he’s not special in the least bit.

This is simply not true the year before last Dane Jackson was paired up with corner that left for Pittsburgh in free agency

We were not up against a salary cap that particular year we could’ve brought in a veteran free agent to start that spot, but we didn’t. We went with DaneJackson.

And honestly, he was playing much better this past year. He has been a disaster.

10 minutes ago, Luka said:

By the end of the season Elam was the best corner we have. If anything I'd be evaluating trading White to free up cap space.

I’ll tell you what whenever you go back and you watch that Bengals game you wish that you had three more corners that played just like Elam to get up there and jam those wide receivers off the line of scrimmage and not allow those 7 yard completions

I’m not against the zone per se, but whenever you have a quarterback, they can get the ball out quick and accurately and he has weapons you cannot play zone. You cannot give the pass catchers the buffer that they received in that game you have to have corners that have the ability to play both press, man and zone when the need arises. 

I really hope that if they learned a lesson from this last year that that is one of the big lessons that they learned and they plan accordingly

A lot of this is going to revolve around Tre’Davious white, returning to form, which I believe he will all of these people calling for him to be traded or out of their ***** minds

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, JerseyBills said:

It has crossed my mind as a way to aquire picks or a player trade because they're 3 starting caliber CBs with 1 slot available. 

Tre and Taron are locked in at the other 2 slots , and it feels like having all 3 is a luxury vs a need. Elam might be off the table because I doubt we'd get a 1 for him but Jackson or Benford would be great for a zone scheme team and either net us a 3 or 4 or a player at position of need like a OG. 

Just feel like having 3 starting caliber CBS for 1 position is unnecessary unless one can transition to S. All 3 filled in admirably for Tre and are legit #2 guys. I'd be looking at Philly who'll likely lose Bradberry and give them an immediate starter opposite Slay, if they have an OL the Bills like that could do the same for us. 

What you guys think?

I definitely would not trade Elam or Benford...Rookie deals...Dane's an RFA...B-)

On 2/17/2023 at 2:59 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re going to move Benford to Safety. Not sure how ready he’ll be to start but he has a chance.

We need all 3 DBs. They will likely all be back. Only question is Jackson but I think they sign him cheap.

To acquire extra picks the Bills should be looking to trade out of the 1st. Take what you can get but should be able to get a couple extra picks.

Last year for 27 Tampa got 2nd pick 33, 4th pick 106, and 6th pick 180. I would take that extra 4th and 6th for moving down a few spots.

Agreed on Benford to Safety, keeping the DB's AND trading out of the first UNLESS a stud falls to us at our pick in the first.

Go Bills and please be awesome this draft!!  We need it!!

If it’s me Elam is our #1 CB and White becomes the crafty vet #2 that’s lost a step due to age and injury. I loved everything I saw from Elam. I can’t believe how hard it was for him to get on the field. Our pass defense was just shredded from week 3 on. It was inexcusable to sit a first round rookie CB with excellent cover skills. The things we do with game day roster management is embarrassing. The other 2 guys are just guys. If you can move 1 to S, fine. If I never saw either on the field again I’m not losing any sleep.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is simply not true the year before last Dane Jackson was paired up with corner that left for Pittsburgh in free agency

We were not up against a salary cap that particular year we could’ve brought in a veteran free agent to start that spot, but we didn’t. We went with DaneJackson.

And honestly, he was playing much better this past year. He has been a disaster.

Who was supposed to be starting?  Couldn’t have been the All-pro that went down with an injury.. he was a back-up, forced into action.

Dane Jackson is a RFA and is in an interesting position for Beane to make a decision on.

If they sign him to a "Right of 1st Refusal" he would cost $2.6M this year if no one offers a better deal.

If a team does and he walks the Bills get a 7th round pick.

I'm not sure what Beane should do.  I keep going back and forth.  If Benford is moving to S is $2.6M too much for depth?

Will another team offer a contract and Bills at least get a 7th?

On 2/17/2023 at 2:59 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re going to move Benford to Safety. Not sure how ready he’ll be to start but he has a chance.

We need all 3 DBs. They will likely all be back. Only question is Jackson but I think they sign him cheap.

To acquire extra picks the Bills should be looking to trade out of the 1st. Take what you can get but should be able to get a couple extra picks.

Last year for 27 Tampa got 2nd pick 33, 4th pick 106, and 6th pick 180. I would take that extra 4th and 6th for moving down a few spots.

6th round is a waste for this team, we need talent that makes an impact after having low impact drafts for years now. We need better talent not hopeful 4th and 6th round feel good stories.

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Dane Jackson is a RFA and is in an interesting position for Beane to make a decision on.

If they sign him to a "Right of 1st Refusal" he would cost $2.6M this year if no one offers a better deal.

If a team does and he walks the Bills get a 7th round pick.

I'm not sure what Beane should do.  I keep going back and forth.  If Benford is moving to S is $2.6M too much for depth?

Will another team offer a contract and Bills at least get a 7th?

I don’t think Jackson is tendered. As the season wore on it was clear he was really no longer in their plans. I don’t think anyone in the league will pay him 2.6 million and give up a 7th round pick. Unless they have good knowledge that there is a team out there switching to a zone scheme with loads of picks and cap space see him as a starter. He would be grossly overpaid for his role here, especially considering they will likely add depth in the draft. Backup vet corners make about 1 million to 1.5 a year. 

In that same vein, Siran Neal is overpaid as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t think Jackson is tendered. As the season wore on it was clear he was really no longer in their plans. I don’t think anyone in the league will pay him 2.6 million and give up a 7th round pick. Unless they have good knowledge that there is a team out there switching to a zone scheme with loads of picks and cap space see him as a starter. He would be grossly overpaid for his role here, especially considering they will likely add depth in the draft. Backup vet corners make about 1 million to 1.5 a year. 

In that same vein, Siran Neal is overpaid as well. 

I probably overvalued Jackson in the OP. Didn't even realize he was a RFA. But imo he deserves more respect than a backup vet CB. He filled in for Tre for basically a whole season and did a helluva job . He was our preferred CB2 over a 1st rd pick in Elam when Tre did return. Just saying,  I think he has a bit more value. 

He was CB1 opposite the rookies this year before Tre returned.  So I still go back to a team like Philly with a similar scheme , they could replace their CB2 Bradberry (who is doubtful to return because the $ he'll get) instantly with Dane. I do think he has a market 

I guess imo, it comes down to this Benford to S deal. If it's a lock that he's converting,  I'd keep Dane. If he stays at CB I'd let Dane walk. Benford (and Jackson) were great late rd picks. In the limited time Benford was available I thought he was phenomenal and just as good as 1st rder Elam. Hope he does transition to S and gets a nice amount of playing time 

Edited by JerseyBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.