How much does sports success & failure affect your life?

Success

The older I get the less it truly bothers me...I mean 13 seconds was pretty bad.  That felt like a gut punch that took a few days to get over.  I think part of it is maturity as you get older and honestly I think another part of it is the NFL product just isn't as good as it used to be.  

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The older I get the less it truly bothers me...I mean 13 seconds was pretty bad.  That felt like a gut punch that took a few days to get over.  I think part of it is maturity as you get older and honestly I think another part of it is the NFL product just isn't as good as it used to be.  

fact.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Success said:

I'm still dealing w/ the Cincy loss, and will be for at least a few more weeks, if not longer.  It's all a bit of an obsession.

Not even sure what this means? You don't talk to your wife and kids?  Kick the family dog?  Haven't gone into work since the loss?  Road Rage?  Crime spree?

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not even sure what this means? You don't talk to your wife and kids?  Kick the family dog?  Haven't gone into work since the loss?  Road Rage?  Crime spree?

Those are all quite extreme options.  More just something that nags at me sporadically.

28 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe it’s time to start hitting the bagel store again in the morning for that cinnamon bagel with crème cheese he loves so much? 

OK, I’ll give you $10 for a toasted bagel with crème cheese. 

1 minute ago, Success said:

Those are all quite extreme options.  More just something that nags at me sporadically.

There may be an ointment for that?   🤷‍♂️

By the morning after the Bengals loss, Josh was halfway to California to play some golf, Diggs was strategizing to see how many girls he can get into a hotel room on Valentine's day, and Von had already done fifteen podcasts about how good he is mentally and how we shouldn't feel bad or sorry for the guy that just signed a $120M contract. 

These guys are children and young men getting paid millions to play a game. Don't let it bother you more than it should. I have to remind myself this too sometimes. It should bother you less as you get older, not more.

The most upset I got after a game this year was the Vikings loss. But that's because I had Bills moneyline in a parlay that would have paid $3500. That one still stings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Amazingly, I think the drought years hardened my resolve and made me more invested and addicted to the team. I sometimes wonder if had we had more success whether I might be more apathetic as a fan.

Absolutely this is true!  So many years of failure is like a form of narrative tension, and the story is pretty darned interesting at this point.  That is absolutely what makes so many die hard Bills fans die hard.

Let's say we won SB XXV, and then went on to appear in 2 more, and win 1 more SB.  So the Kelly/Thurman Bills were 2 for 3 in the big show.  I genuinely believe very few of us would still be here living and dying with every little piece of Bills related news.

This is how it worked for me when the Sox won in 2004...after that, nothing ever mattered, almost at all!  I was a WAY more hardcore Red Sox fan in the '90s than I am now.  Way more!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Absolutely this is true!  So many years of failure is like a form of narrative tension, and the story is pretty darned interesting at this point.  That is absolutely what makes so many die hard Bills fans die hard.

Let's say we won SB XXV, and then went on to appear in 2 more, and win 1 more SB.  So the Kelly/Thurman Bills were 2 for 3 in the big show.  I genuinely believe very few of us would still be here living and dying with every little piece of Bills related news.

This is how it worked for me when the Sox won in 2004...after that, nothing ever mattered, almost at all!  I was a WAY more hardcore Red Sox fan in the '90s than I am now.  Way more!

Spot on. 

I guess “drought” was the perfect word. We got thirstier and thirstier all the while. 

I was bummed out over the Bills' loss to Cinci for a solid week -- at least up until the AFCCG.  Now I'm over it and looking forward to offseason moves, the draft, and next season.

When the Sabres lost to the Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Finals back in 2006 I was really bummed out for the next two weeks, because I knew we would have beaten the damn Canucks.

But in the whole scheme of things, my life isn't "impacted" by these results -- just my mood for a short period of time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I was bummed out over the Bills' loss to Cinci for a solid week -- at least up until the AFCCG.  Now I'm over it and looking forward to offseason moves, the draft, and next season.

When the Sabres lost to the Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Finals back in 2006 I was really bummed out for the next two weeks, because I knew we would have beaten the damn Canucks.

But in the whole scheme of things, my life isn't "impacted" by these results -- just my mood for a short period of time.

I think this loss to the Bengals disappointed me more than it upset me/pissed me off.  They quit.  I know that might not be a popular opinion, but it's how I feel.  It's nothing I dwell on, or really even think about at this point.  BUT ... I will say that I've never been less-interested in a Super Bowl Sunday than I am today, just a couple days from the game.

Normally, I've got a menu all set and I'm excited about shopping for all of the food and a day full of cooking leading to an evening full of eating and drinking.

I have absolutely zero plans.  Not even any ideas for food.  I don't even know who the halftime entertainment is.  All I know is that I'm rooting for the Eagles, but I'm not even looking forward to watching.

I do think that the way the Bills' season ended has a lot to do with it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think this loss to the Bengals disappointed me more than it upset me/pissed me off.  They quit.  I know that might not be a popular opinion, but it's how I feel.  It's nothing I dwell on, or really even think about at this point.  BUT ... I will say that I've never been less-interested in a Super Bowl Sunday than I am today, just a couple days from the game.

Normally, I've got a menu all set and I'm excited about shopping for all of the food and a day full of cooking leading to an evening full of eating and drinking.

I have absolutely zero plans.  Not even any ideas for food.  I don't even know who the halftime entertainment is.  All I know is that I'm rooting for the Eagles, but I'm not even looking forward to watching.

I do think that the way the Bills' season ended has a lot to do with it.

The Patriots Dynasty era was the start of me being more and more disinterested in the big game so to speak.  At the time I just chalked it up to it seeming like the same teams were competing every year: Patriots,Broncos and or Colts with Peyton, and Big Ben with the Steelers.  Like when the Patriots dynasty breaks up it'll get more interesting again.  

But now I am even more disinterested in Sunday's game.  I chalk it up to age and disinterest in the league as a whole these days outside Buffalo and a few other teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.