Frazier: The hard FACTS on why many of us want a change.

Alphadawg7

The 2022 NFL team with the best pass rush win rate were the Philly Eagles with 52%. That fearsome Eagle front four were monsters most of the season.

The Chiefs didn't allow a single sack on a hobbled Patrick Mahomes in the SB! 

Buffalo played KC in week 6 this past year and sacked a non hobbled Mahomes 3x, and intercepted him 2x...and beat them at Kansas City! 

To the Bills fans wanting McD gone...you clearly are oblivious to what's good or bad!  13-3, won the division for the third straight season. Playoffs again!

Last season the Bills had the #1 overall defense. This season they were #2 in points allowed, #6 in yards allowed despite all the injuries to key starters. 

Yes, it still stings in losing 27-10 to the Cincinnati Bengals AT home in the playoffs for the 2022 season.

However, In the 2021 season week 10, Buffalo lost to the Indy Colts at home 41-15 and I was livid about that loss too. The Bills went out and beefed up their D line and went from bring 13th in rush yards allowed, 26 TDs allowed in 2021 to #5 in rush yards allowed and 7 TDs in 2022. Big improvement! 

It was clear that losing Von Miller for the season was a huge reason the Bills didn't get much pressure on Joe Burrow, despite the injuries to their O line players.  Buffalo only had 3 QB hits on Burrow all game and only one sack by Matt Milano. The Bills need more than one top edge rusher and it might have been wiser to keep Jerry Hughes. 

The old adage, on any given Sunday. The Buffalo Bills lost focus in that Cincy game, coaches and players. Stuff happens, I'm moving on to the 2023 season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I know Frazier is being talked about in different threads across the board.  But where I am taken back is the number of people making excuses for Frazier or absolving him of any responsibility or blame...or even mocking those who think a change is needed.

There is this one big thing that is commonly getting overlooked, and it's IMHO undeniable evidence that there is fundamental flaw in Frazier's defense vs the teams who have been in our way to get to the SB.

The past 3 years, our defense was dominated in the 3 playoff losses...but also, In all 3 seasons, those very same offenses that dominated our defense were held in check or shut down literally the following week by their next opponent who mostly had much lower ranked defenses than us, and ALL 3 lost their next game.  

The big difference was clearly game plan and play calling.  Bills in 2 of those years had by far the better defense during the season, yet fared terrible in comparison.

Bills defensive rankings last 3 years:

• 2020 - 15th (lost to Chiefs)
  • 2021 - 1st (lost to Chiefs)
  • 2022 - 2nd (lost to Bengals)
  • COMBINED:  107 points, 1403 yards those offenses scored on us.

Defensive rankings of the teams that beat the team that beat us the very next week:

• 2020 - Bucs 8th (beat Chiefs)
  • 2021 - Bengals 16th (beat Chiefs)
  • 2022 - Cheifs 17th (beat Bengals)
  • COMBINED:  53 points, 1034 yards those same offenses scored in their very next game (all losses) after beating us.

So our defense combined to give up twice as many points and almost 40% more yards than what those same offenses managed to do against their next opponent the very next week (in which they lost all 3 times).  And mostly against statistically inferior defenses to our own. 

All 3 seasons, our defense was dominated by the offenses we faced in our postseason loss:  Chiefs, Chiefs, and Bengals.  All 3 would go on to lose the very NEXT week with their offenses being shutdown or held in check: 

• 2020 - AFC Championship Game - Bills @ KC:  Our defense is helpless against the Chiefs who have their way offensively against us.  Hill and Kelce running wide open all over the field as if they were not even being covered.  Chiefs win the game with ease because our offense also showed poorly.
    • Super Bowl - Chiefs vs Bucs:  Bucs defense dominates the Chiefs offense and goes on to easily handle the Chiefs and win in dominant fashion.   This would be the only year the defense of the next weeks opponent was ranked higher than the Bills defense, but even so, the Bucs were still just the 8th ranked defense in the NFL that year.
  • 2021 - AFC Divisional Round - Bills @ KC:  Our #1 ranked defense gives up 42 points, including 17 points in the final 2 min of the game and OT that included the 13 second debacle before completely laying down in OT.  Chiefs win the game.
    • AFC Championship Game - Cincy @ Chiefs:  Bengals 16th ranked defense completely shuts down Chiefs offense in the 2nd half and goes on to pull off an upset and beat the Chiefs at home holding them to just 24 points (compared to our 42 points) to advance to the SB.  
  • 2022 - AFC Divisional Round - Cincy @ Bills:  Finally a home game, and despite bad weather (allegedly some sort of "competitive advantage" for the BIlls) and Cincy missing THREE starters on the OL (their weakest unit the past seasons even when healthy), our #2 ranked defense let the Cincy offense dominate the LOS and the Bengals got very little resistance from the Bills defense.  Bengals win.  
    • AFC Championship Game - Cincy @ Chiefs:  In a rematch of the previous season, Chiefs 17th ranked defense holds the Bengals offense in check and win a close game giving up only 20 points.

That is pretty astounding to look at and a strong indicator of just how poor our game-plan and play calling was in those games.  Especially the last 2 years when we had the #1 and #2 Defense entering the postseason respectively.  Even with the 15th ranked D in 2020, that is NO EXCUSE when you see defenses ranked 16th and 17th still perform well in 2021 and 2022 against similar potent offenses.  

And forget the stats, just watch all 6 of these games...the evidence and countless examples were right there on the screen, and it's clear as day why those other defenses had more success than our own.  

Personally, I think it's a big part of the reason Frazier isn't getting HC interest.  Having his high ranked defenses consistently fold in big games to teams who would get slowed by middle of the pack defenses the very next week is not a good look.  Especially for a guy who already has a bad stint as a HC on his resume in Minnesota.  

I just don't see a case to bring him back.  I get he is likely coming back based on comments from Beane...but should he is the question.  I just don't know how anyone can overlook how defenses that were mediocre all season fare so much better against the same offenses that Fraziers #1 and #2 ranked defenses perform so badly against.  

Not to mention the 13 seconds and OT lay-down last year where we gave up 17 points in the final 2 minutes of that game and OT.  I mean Kelce utterly schooled Frazier on national TV in those 13 seconds mocking his defense while mic'd up and said hit me in the seem if they are just gonna play it like that...which they did, and which Mahomes and Kelce did with ease like it was 7 on 7 out there.

THIS is why many of us want a change.  Not a hot take, not social media influence, not anything other than his continued postseason flops.  

What about execution the coach can only call what defense he wants the players in but the players are the ones that have to make the plays . I've seen at time & in these games players miss tackles i seem to remember this year against the Bengals Poyer missing more tackles than he usually did in season . 

A couple of time to i saw Millano over run a play and he couldn't recover, and this year if you have misremembered there were quite a few of the Bills that had injury's Daquan, Phillips were both hurt then take away Von , Poyer less than 100% no Hyde in the mix Tre still coming back & sorry it's a totally different defense .

Yes he has come up short & I hope this new DC assistant can have some input with in the scheme & maybe that new infusion can & will give a bit of a new twist that will give them the upper hand .

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, Playoffs? said:

This is really good stuff, Alpha!  Please send to Beane.

Also begs the question… we’ve invested a TON in the defense. Is there a chance some of these draft picks aren’t busts, and McD/Frazier just aren’t getting the most out of them?

Perhaps he did🤷‍♀️

• Haha (+1) 3

I can live with his change as long as it doesn’t wholesale change the defense

That usually ends up in disaster for about a year at least

If this is gonna be one of those situations were McDermott takes over the defensive playcalling, regardless of who gets appointed as defensive coordinator, I can live with it, because McDermott has shown to be successful at this in the past

It’s what got him his job here in Buffalo

On 2/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Dubie54 said:

The lack of urgency on the part of Beane and McD going all the way back to the Chiefs game last year and through this year's playoff to get rid of Frazier and bring someone in who can elevate this defense is inexcusable. They have a huge blind spot when it comes to Frazier and I just don't get it. Is it because McD wants a symbolic DC he can tell what to do? Available DCs might be attracted to an opportunity in Buffalo but don't want to be a DC in name only.   

It’s not a blind spot.  The defense has been good more often than not.    Obviously, 13 seconds and the Bengals game were bad looks. McD and Beane aren’t as reactionary as the fans.    I don’t take issue with people wanting Frazier out.  I take issue with people acting like the defense was terrible in general.   

What I don’t get is this business about available Defensive Coordinators.  What is it about McD’s hirings on the defensive side that leads anyone to believe he’s looking for a DC to run a different system than he’s always run?    Whomever the next DC is will run a similar if not same version of what they’ve been running.  Because that’s what McD believes in.  And they might be better than Frazier in some way.  They could also be worse.   We’re about to find out.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

It’s not a blind spot.  The defense has been good more often than not.    Obviously, 13 seconds and the Bengals game were bad looks. McD and Beane aren’t as reactionary as the fans.    I don’t take issue with people wanting Frazier out.  I take issue with people acting like the defense was terrible in general.   

What I don’t get is this business about available Defensive Coordinators.  What is it about McD’s hirings on the defensive side that leads anyone to believe he’s looking for a DC to run a different system than he’s always run?    Whomever the next DC is will run a similar if not same version of what they’ve been running.  Because that’s what McD believes in.  And they might be better than Frazier in some way.  They could also be worse.   We’re about to find out.

I agree the defense has been good more often than not, but when it has mattered most, this defense has failed to step up and/or make situational adjustments. The 3rd down softness, lack of aggressiveness at the line of attack with receivers and tight ends, not using blitzes more effectively. No question this is a good defense and McD knows how to build a good defense, but can he truly build an elite defense that can adjust and adapt effectively over the course of a full season and into the playoffs. We almost got beat at home by a rookie QB in a playoff game that should have been a blowout, and sure Josh was off in that game, but our D gave up lots of chunk yards and was far from elite in that game. Sure it's the playoffs and anything can happen, but that game for me was the writing on the wall that this team was not ready to go the distance last year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 1:27 AM, purple haze said:

No offense here, but why do people only focus on the 13 seconds of the KC game?  Our defense gave up a TD and a FG in under the final 2 minutes of that game and then laid down for another easy TD in OT on its way to giving up 42 points to a team that would go on to lose the next week only scoring only 24 points against the 16th ranked Defense.

Buffalo had the #1 ranked defense that year, and yet the defense was dominated.  Bengals 16th ranked defense dominated the Chiefs offense in the 2nd half the next week and allowed only 3 points in the entire second half.  Buffalo and Cincy both had the same number of sacks on the season too at 42, so you can't even say their defense was better at getting to the QB.  Our #1 ranked defense gave up 3 scores in less than 2 min of the end of regulation and opening drive of OT.  Lets not forget, Frazier and what was the #1 ranked defense at that time gave up another FG in less time, 12 seconds, at the end of the half again this year to KC.  

It was far more than 13 seconds with Frazier.  In all our playoff losses since Frazier has arrived, we have given up an average of 152 yards rushing per game in those losses, and all but one team (Jax) was a lowly ranked rushing team.  

This years embarrassment was while Frazier fielded the #2 ranked defense.  And Hyde and Von are not valid excuses, despite that being a popular excuse.  Hyde missed most the season and Von missed almost half of it.  Yet we still fielded the #2 ranked defense on the season.  Them missing didn't plummet our defense into the bottom half of the league, it still managed to remain the 2nd ranked Defense.  

3 straight embarrassing performances by the defense in playoff losses, surrendering 107 points to teams that would combine for 53 points in their next 3 games (all losses).  

I honestly don't know of any other DC in the league that would survive that streak of games.  It is the same reason Frazier has zero HC interest despite the team trying to sell him as a HC candidate hard.  In fact, his HC candidacy has decreased each year until it reached ice cold zero this year.  And for good reason given his last HC job was a flop and his playoff resume of defensive collapses.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• It's not about Frazier not being an above average DC, it's about what happens in those franchise steering defining moments.
  • Interesting point about underperforming D linemen.  I've assumed that Epenesa, Boogie, and Oliver are exactly what we see, but perhaps there is a bit more that a different DC and line coach can "Granato" out of them.
  • Sal/WGR feel McDermott will be calling the D next year on game day.  I'm fine with that.  We'll see if McDermott can adapt better to individual teams and plays.  Will McDermott be quicker to implement Milano to blitz the gap or move up coverage from 10 yards back when the opponent only needs 6 yards for a 1st down?  Its' those kinds of things I'll watch.  Frazier set a pretty high bar for regular season.

Kansas City Chiefs are the best team in the NFL! They have been to 3 of the last 4 SBs and won 2 of them! They have arguably the best offensive-minded head coach in the league in Andy Reid. They are the ELITE team to beat. 

Yet, Buffalo beat them at KC in 2021 and 2022 during the regular season. The Buffalo Bills have been duking it out with the very best in the AFC / NFL for a chance to get to the SB for the last 3 years now. 

If Bills fans recall, Buffalo was smoked by the Cheifs in the 2020 AFC Championship game 24-38. They rebounded, picked themselves up, and went on to the 13 seconds in the 2021 playoff game. Why that 13 seconds is so darned significant is because, at that point in time, the Buffalo Bill's chances of winning that game were at 97%!  Ninty...freaking...seven...percent! The game was won and the prevent defense actually prevented that win... I have always hated that defense. 

Anyway, it was noted by some observers that McD was screaming his head off when he saw the formation! Another screwup by an assistant coach at the end of that game as the special team's coach missed the call or ignored it on the kickoff. 

The Buffalo Bills currently are on the top of the mountain for the last three seasons fighting with the very best teams in the NFL to go to the Superbowl.

This season the Buffalo Bills had some crazy bad luck in several situations, injuries, snowstorms, and heart attack on the field during a game, and in the end, simply couldn't overcome them all. 

The Bills GM / HC have shown resilience in overcoming the team's flaws and making the proper changes to beat opponents. I personally had my doubts about this HC, and coaching staff when Buffalo couldn't beat the New England Patriots!

Not in 2017, not in 2018, and not in 2019. Then in 2020 beat them 2x, first by 24-21, and literally blew them away 38-9 in that second game AT New England! Wow!  Then, in 2021 beat them 2x again, the Buffalo Bills QB played a perfect game against NE and beat them 47-17 in the playoffs. Holy Cow! 

At first, I didn't like the thought of Buffalo retaining Bills DC Leslie Frazier after the last few playoff exits. Then I looked back at the history of how that defense performs given time to figure the opponents out. They eventually get it done. Now I have concerns that the defense might not be as good with a new DC.

Bills fans wanted a change...they got it!

37 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Kansas City Chiefs are the best team in the NFL! They have been to 3 of the last 4 SBs and won 2 of them! They have arguably the best offensive-minded head coach in the league in Andy Reid. They are the ELITE team to beat. 

Yet, Buffalo beat them at KC in 2021 and 2022 during the regular season. The Buffalo Bills have been duking it out with the very best in the AFC / NFL for a chance to get to the SB for the last 3 years now. 

If Bills fans recall, Buffalo was smoked by the Cheifs in the 2020 AFC Championship game 24-38. They rebounded, picked themselves up, and went on to the 13 seconds in the 2021 playoff game. Why that 13 seconds is so darned significant is because, at that point in time, the Buffalo Bill's chances of winning that game were at 97%!  Ninty...freaking...seven...percent! The game was won and the prevent defense actually prevented that win... I have always hated that defense. 

Anyway, it was noted by some observers that McD was screaming his head off when he saw the formation! Another screwup by an assistant coach at the end of that game as the special team's coach missed the call or ignored it on the kickoff. 

The Buffalo Bills currently are on the top of the mountain for the last three seasons fighting with the very best teams in the NFL to go to the Superbowl.

This season the Buffalo Bills had some crazy bad luck in several situations, injuries, snowstorms, and heart attack on the field during a game, and in the end, simply couldn't overcome them all. 

The Bills GM / HC have shown resilience in overcoming the team's flaws and making the proper changes to beat opponents. I personally had my doubts about this HC, and coaching staff when Buffalo couldn't beat the New England Patriots!

Not in 2017, not in 2018, and not in 2019. Then in 2020 beat them 2x, first by 24-21, and literally blew them away 38-9 in that second game AT New England! Wow!  Then, in 2021 beat them 2x again, the Buffalo Bills QB played a perfect game against NE and beat them 47-17 in the playoffs. Holy Cow! 

At first, I didn't like the thought of Buffalo retaining Bills DC Leslie Frazier after the last few playoff exits. Then I looked back at the history of how that defense performs given time to figure the opponents out. They eventually get it done. Now I have concerns that the defense might not be as good with a new DC.

Bills fans wanted a change...they got it!

Jerry Hughes since arriving in Buffalo:

• 5 years in Fraziers defense - averaged 4.4 sacks per season, only managing to break 5 once when he got 7 in 2018.
  • 5 years NOT in Fraziers defense (4 in Buffalo, and this year in Houston) - averaged 8 sacks, and 3 times had 9 or more sacks, including this year in Houston at the tail end of his career.

2021-22 season:  

• Bills 42 sacks and #1 ranked defense.  Bengals 42 sacks and #16 ranked defense.
    • Bills get gashed and fail to get any pressure on Mahomes, giving 42 points including 2 TD's and a FG in less than the final 2 minutes of regulation and OT.  
      • Our inability to disrupt Mahomes in the playoffs AGAIN is bad the team spends $8 Billion dollars on Von Miller the next year at age 33.
    • Bengals the very next week harass Mahomes all 2nd half and allow only THREE points and hold them to 24 as they beat them and go to the SB.     

But keep absolving Frazier as if he has nothing to do with our struggles to get sacks or affect Mahomes enough to win a game in playoffs.  Let alone Burrow either.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

I'm not absolving Frazier of anything. Working to get sacks is desired... but not what that Buffalo defense does best.  Buffalo's defense rushed the front four while playing mostly in nickel. Bend but don't break remember? 

The 2014 Buffalo Bills led the NFL in sacks and yet only went 9-7 with the #4 overall defense under DC Jim Schwartz.

"Since Frazier came to Buffalo in 2017, the Bills have had one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Since 2017, they've forced 140 takeaways (1st in the NFL), allowed just 89 passing touchdowns (1st, next best 113 – Vikings), allowed an average of a 78.0 passer rating to opposing quarterbacks (1st), and have given up an average of 20.16 points per game (3rd) and 310.2 total yards per game (1st).

"Those numbers are jaw-dropping, especially when the next-best team has allowed 24 more passing touchdowns than the Bills. There's no challenge that's too big for Frazier, and the DC is not afraid to do something different in order to win."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/a-defensive-mind-how-bills-dc-leslie-frazier-crafted-a-modern-nfl-defense-while-

Patrick Mahomes under Andy Reid has shown himself to be the #1 ranked QB in today's NFL and yet Buffalo beat the Chiefs at KC in each of the last two seasons and probably would have won in the playoffs in 2021 if not for those dreadful 13 seconds. Cincy QB Joe Burrow is currently ranked #3-4. Pretty lofty company to compete against. 

Lastly, let's not forget that the 2022 Bills co-leading sacker (8) was Von Miller who only played in 11 games. I happen to think if Miller had stayed healthy the Buffalo Bills might have made it to the SB this past season. 

Be careful what you wish for...

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm not absolving Frazier of anything. Working to get sacks is desired... but not what that Buffalo defense does best.  Buffalo's defense rushed the front four while playing mostly in nickel. Bend but don't break remember? 

The 2014 Buffalo Bills led the NFL in sacks and yet only went 9-7 with the #4 overall defense under DC Jim Schwartz.

"Since Frazier came to Buffalo in 2017, the Bills have had one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Since 2017, they've forced 140 takeaways (1st in the NFL), allowed just 89 passing touchdowns (1st, next best 113 – Vikings), allowed an average of a 78.0 passer rating to opposing quarterbacks (1st), and have given up an average of 20.16 points per game (3rd) and 310.2 total yards per game (1st).

"Those numbers are jaw-dropping, especially when the next-best team has allowed 24 more passing touchdowns than the Bills. There's no challenge that's too big for Frazier, and the DC is not afraid to do something different in order to win."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/a-defensive-mind-how-bills-dc-leslie-frazier-crafted-a-modern-nfl-defense-while-

Patrick Mahomes under Andy Reid has shown himself to be the #1 ranked QB in today's NFL and yet Buffalo beat the Chiefs at KC in each of the last two seasons and probably would have won in the playoffs in 2021 if not for those dreadful 13 seconds. Cincy QB Joe Burrow is currently ranked #3-4. Pretty lofty company to compete against. 

Lastly, let's not forget that the 2022 Bills co-leading sacker (8) was Von Miller who only played in 11 games. I happen to think if Miller had stayed healthy the Buffalo Bills might have made it to the SB this past season. 

Be careful what you wish for...

The 2 teams in the SB, were 1st and 2nd in Sacks. Sacks matter....a lot. That's also why we went 9-7 under Schwartz, despite no QB. Give Allen that defense and we win the SB. Regular season rankings mean nothing, once you reach the playoffs. I don't know what to tell you, if you don't agree there.

the point alpha makes here that i think is basically rock solid fact is that our falling apart when the chips are down in the playoffs is simply too much.

4 playoff exits, 4 awful D meltdowns by well rated Ds.  The O coulda been better in a few of those games, sure, but we have an all timer at qb and a top 3 wr and beyond that a very slanted team wrt resources in O vs D, so we have been riding the d hard.

tony romo has a well earned rep as a regular season monster and playoff goof based on his actual performances in games under pressure.  not just the actual results of the W or the L, but the observable short comings he has as a player in those pressure situations (remember the extra point kick hold?).  as the bills DC (and im willing to consider mcd himself as being guilty, but i'll take what i can get) has done the same freaking thing.  our D has looks baffled, bamboozled, flat, unprepared and totally out of position in our playoff exists.  they didnt' all forget how to play, and dquan jones being out doesn't make us forget how to cover or pass rush, especially vs an OL missing 3 starters who got worked hard vs baltimore in a game they shoulda lost (meaning that it wasn't like cincy was some on fire playing on their heads hot team either).

guys 12 yards back on 3rd and 4 showing a bear front vs cincy down by 7 is just a coaching error.  if you are bringing pressure, you need to cover shorter, if you aren't, you won't be able to fall back in time or run up from deep db positions to stop the 1st down, and that's exactly what happened.

the kc game as has been pointed out was even worse.  we have kelce on tape just changing the play because he saw how the bills were lined up.  TWICE.  like, if your coach can't figure out how to line up in the biggest game possible to the extent that it dooms your team, then he's gotta go.

even if frazier is not at fault at all for the above (which i don't buy anyhow) he still needs to take a walk because the players on the team need to see that the prior results will not be accepted and sometimes a change itself is what makes things work.  just to shake it up

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

The 2 teams in the SB, were 1st and 2nd in Sacks. Sacks matter....a lot. That's also why we went 9-7 under Schwartz, despite no QB. Give Allen that defense and we win the SB. Regular season rankings mean nothing, once you reach the playoffs. I don't know what to tell you, if you don't agree there.

I didn't say sacks don't matter. It's the entire reason they signed Von Miller for so much money.

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Working to get sacks is desired... but not what that Buffalo defense does best.  Buffalo's defense rushed the front four while playing mostly in nickel.

The Bills mostly rushed their front four while only blitzing 19.4%. That's 23rd in the NFL in blitzing. In 2022 they were 14th in the NFL in QB pressures. 14th in QB sacks with 40. The Buffalo Bills are in Nickel around 90% of the time, which leads the NFL. (2 LBers, 5 DBs.)

Despite leading the NFL in sacks in 2022 with 70, the Philadelphia Eagles didn't sack Patrick Mahomes once in the SB! Yes, not one QB sack on Mahomes! 

In 2021 the Buffalo Bills were #1 in QB pressure percentage at 30.8 %. Again, losing Von Miller had a huge, huge impact on the Buffalo defense this season. 

1 hour ago, colin said:

the point alpha makes here that i think is basically rock solid fact is that our falling apart when the chips are down in the playoffs is simply too much.

4 playoff exits, 4 awful D meltdowns by well rated Ds.  The O coulda been better in a few of those games, sure, but we have an all timer at qb and a top 3 wr and beyond that a very slanted team wrt resources in O vs D, so we have been riding the d hard.

tony romo has a well earned rep as a regular season monster and playoff goof based on his actual performances in games under pressure.  not just the actual results of the W or the L, but the observable short comings he has as a player in those pressure situations (remember the extra point kick hold?).  as the bills DC (and im willing to consider mcd himself as being guilty, but i'll take what i can get) has done the same freaking thing.  our D has looks baffled, bamboozled, flat, unprepared and totally out of position in our playoff exists.  they didnt' all forget how to play, and dquan jones being out doesn't make us forget how to cover or pass rush, especially vs an OL missing 3 starters who got worked hard vs baltimore in a game they shoulda lost (meaning that it wasn't like cincy was some on fire playing on their heads hot team either).

guys 12 yards back on 3rd and 4 showing a bear front vs cincy down by 7 is just a coaching error.  if you are bringing pressure, you need to cover shorter, if you aren't, you won't be able to fall back in time or run up from deep db positions to stop the 1st down, and that's exactly what happened.

the kc game as has been pointed out was even worse.  we have kelce on tape just changing the play because he saw how the bills were lined up.  TWICE.  like, if your coach can't figure out how to line up in the biggest game possible to the extent that it dooms your team, then he's gotta go.

even if frazier is not at fault at all for the above (which i don't buy anyhow) he still needs to take a walk because the players on the team need to see that the prior results will not be accepted and sometimes a change itself is what makes things work.  just to shake it up

Well said. Couldn't agree more will all of this. 

• Like (+1) 2

Under Frazier, our defense (minus the first year because you inherited a group from a fired staff) finished an average of 5th in nfl. 

I pray all you guys are right. But man, talk about a guy being scapegoated. Imagine being in the top 5 of your field for 5 years and people not thinking it was not good enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Under Frazier, our defense (minus the first year because you inherited a group from a fired staff) finished an average of 5th in nfl. 

I pray all you guys are right. But man, talk about a guy being scapegoated. Imagine being in the top 5 of your field for 5 years and people not thinking it was not good enough. 

The chants of "we are number five, we are number five" will ring through WNY for years to come.  Its a tough industry.  31/32 team fail every year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.