Your Offseason Upgrades to the OLine

Warriorspikes51

It's very clear that the current offensive line is simply not good enough.  
Unfortunately, I don't expect Beane to make many significant changes.
But, I believe they are needed. Here is what I would do

1. ) if Orlando Brown hits the market, try to sign him.  (Unlikely & $$$)

2.) Trade Ed Oliver for an All Pro Guard.   (Let Saffold walk)

3.) Draft a C in the first three rounds. Hope that he's comparable to Creed Humphrey (Release Mitch Morse - Concussions + cap savings)

4.) Ryan Bates starts at RG. Try Spencer Brown at Guard as depth (I know he's taller than most Guards, whatever)

5.) If #1 doesn't happen - Trade a 2nd Round pick (23 or 24) for a very good RT  OR  Draft a RT in the first two rounds. 

LT - Dawkins

LG - All Pro via Trade
C - Rookie top 3 rounds
RG - Bates / S. Brown
RT - O. Brown / Very Good Starter via Trade / Rookie top 2 rounds

I think it's absolutely critical to add at least 1 high caliber player to the OLine 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Trade Ed for an “all pro” guard?  🤣 

We won’t be that lucky, but that all pro guard will want 15-20M a year.  

Edit: sorry-  I just don’t think adding 15-20M OL will be part of our plan.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 3

Nobody is trading away an All-Pro Guard. If they did, it would take a whole lot more than a rotational DT with 1 year left on his deal at $10M to get him. Oliver would probably only net a 3rd round pick at best.

I want to add Dalton Risner in FA for RG, move Bates to LG, draft a RT in rounds 1-2. If Morse retires, Bates moves to C, and then we need 2 Guards & a RT. Would probably require grabbing 2 of them via FA.

• Like (+1) 3

Chiefs fans consider Orlando Brown a weakness. He and the RT are the supposed weakness of their OL, so no, I don’t think Orlando is a huge upgrade to Dion. As far as drafting a comparable C to Creed Humphrey, we’d have to get really lucky because that dude had off the charts athleticism. He was a 10 on the RAS scale. He had everything that should’ve made him Josh’s long time center, but… Bills. Bates finished with the same grade as Morse this year and I know center is his preferred position on the line. Perhaps move him there, release Morse (or if he retires) and work on getting 3 new OL. It’s not gonna be easy, Beane has his work cut out for him. Dawkins shouldn’t be the unquestioned starter at LT either.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs fans consider Orlando Brown a weakness. He and the RT are the supposed weakness of their OL, so no, I don’t think Orlando is a huge upgrade to Dion. As far as drafting a comparable C to Creed Humphrey, we’d have to get really lucky because that dude had off the charts athleticism. He was a 10 on the RAS scale. He had everything that should’ve made him Josh’s long time center, but… Bills. Bates finished with the same grade as Morse this year and I know center is his preferred position on the line. Perhaps move him there, release Morse (or if he retires) and work on getting 3 new OL. It’s not gonna be easy, Beane has his work cut out for him. Dawkins shouldn’t be the unquestioned starter at LT either.

Orlando Brown at RT is a big upgrade from Spencer Brown. I would be willing to trade Dawkins though 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

3.) Draft a C in the first three rounds. Hope that he's comparable to Creed Humphrey (Release Mitch Morse - Concussions + cap savings)

4.) Ryan Bates starts at RG. Try Spencer Brown at Guard as depth (I know he's taller than most Guards, whatever)

5.) If #1 doesn't happen - Trade a 2nd Round pick (23 or 24) for a very good RT  OR  Draft a RT in the first two rounds. 

LT - Dawkins

LG - All Pro via Trade
C - Rookie top 3 rounds
RG - Bates / S. Brown

I think it's absolutely critical to add at least 1 high caliber player to the OLine 

Sounds great.  Who's the team trading us an All-Pro guard for Ed?

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

LT - Dawkins

LG - All Pro via Trade
C - Rookie top 3 rounds
RG - Bates / S. Brown

1. OK? Possible with some restructures and letting some other guys go? 
2. Who? Who is trading an all-pro staring OG for Ed Oliver straight up? Pick a team and a guard. 

3. A more savy draft/OL poster on this board mentioned this is a bad year for OC and OT in the draft. 

4. Brown is way too big to play OG. 

5. What team is trading a second round pick for their starting RT? Who is the team and who is the RT? 

Ideally they should move Bates back to LG (where he was also good), kick Spencer Brown inside to RG (which hides his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths), pray to god that Morse doesn't retire and then use that 1st rnd pick on a bluechip OL prospect to play RT. 

If you pick the right guy, you potentially upgrade 3 starting positions on the OL with minimal cap cost and only have to use a single asset to do it. Then you still have the rest of your draft picks and what cap space you have to keep Edmunds and fill multiple other needs.

Regardless of what they do, they really need to nail this draft to extend their window of contention.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

A young Guard who becomes an All Pro once here.  Basically a Wyatt Teller reversal 

Who? What OG do you see in the pipeline? 

You're just speaking in vague generalities. "The Bills should do stuff to get better"

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Ideally they should move Bates back to LG (where he was also good), kick Spencer Brown inside to RG (which hides his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths), pray to god that Morse doesn't retire and then use that 1st rnd pick on a bluechip OL prospect to play RT. 

If you pick the right guy, you potentially upgrade 3 starting positions on the OL with minimal cap cost and only have to use a single asset to do it. Then you still have the rest of your draft picks and what cap space you have to keep Edmunds and fill multiple other needs.

Regardless of what they do, they really need to nail this draft to extend their window of contention.

Did brown play any guard in college?

Ed Oliver will not come close to retrieving an All-Pro Guard on trade! 

It's not a particularly good FA market this year, which doesn't help.

I do FULLY anticipate them drafting a center early in the draft...

• Like (+1) 1

I would release or Mitch Morse retires and move Ryan Bates to Center. I would bring in Andre Dillard from the Eagles to compete at either LT or Right Tackle. Dillard wont break the bank as he has been a semi bust due to injuries(2 out of 4 years). If Dillard can prove himself as a LT in the league(debatable), this would allow the Bills to either move Dawkins inside or Dillard/Dawkins can replace Spencer Brown. Dillard is more of a natural left tackle so I will simply bump Dillard to LT and Dawkins will slot at either LG/RT. I would also try to make a move on Trey Pipkins. A prospect very similar to Spencer Brown. Started for the Chargers and had a decent season. Might not break the bank but will command some type of solid contract. 

In the 2nd round, I'd take Cody Mauch OG from North Dakota State if he is available. A former Tackle who is projected inside to guard in the NFL. Some think he could go round 1 if he kills the all star circuit. Will need to add some mass but my objective here is to get way more athletic on the offensive line since we are going to continue to pass the ball a ton. I'd like to get a more athletic offensive line so we can add the screen game back into the picture. 

LT: Dillard

LG: Dawkins

Center: Ryan Bates

RG:  Cody Mauch

RT: Pipkins/Brown

Thats my idea. Don't think it is too far fetched. I wouldn't say its a dominant offensive line but with our cap restrictions and my thoughts on we have to get more athletic upfront, I think this fits the Bill. Obviously we would add some other depth pieces. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not in our pipeline....... 

Right, I get what you are saying. 

The Bills should go out and trade for a player that is better than what we have, but another team thinks is not that great at the moment. 

I am telling you that is the most vague plan. So vague it isn't really a plan. That is just generally what GM's across the league are trying to do every single day. 

"See what I think the Bills should do is, identify talent they think can upgrade the roster, then put them on the roster" - You, basically. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.