Is it just me or do we always let offenses convert 3rd downs on us?

Ramza86

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I swear man...I feel like this whole year 3rd and long is about as easy as it gets for opposing offenses.

Am I crazy for thinking we are awful on 3rd down?

Methinks you need to go and look at the stats......at one point in the Fins game they were only 3 for 9 or 10 on 3rd down conversions.......I could be wrong but I do not believe so.. .

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We are not good on critical down and distance. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with no Micha Hyde

Oh ok makes me feel better. I just thought it was because we play 10-12 yds off the opposing receivers and let them do whatever the hell they want too!! Thanks!

It seems like fans are demanding perfection. Teams are going to get plays against our team sometimes. The rules are designed to allow offenses to make plays against defenses. It's just how it is.

Go watch other teams play and pretend you are a fan of either team. You'll see the same type of stuff regardless of what team you watch, although most are worse than the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Probably just you since the Bills finished 7th in the NFL on 3rd down percentage.

Also the Fins were 4 of 16 on 3rd downs so I am not sure why you would post this after one of the worst 3rd down performances by an opponent of the year.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

It seems like fans are demanding perfection. Teams are going to get plays against our team sometimes. The rules are designed to allow offenses to make plays against defenses. It's just how it is.

Go watch other teams play and pretend you are a fan of either team. You'll see the same type of stuff regardless of what team you watch, although most are worse than the Bills.

Exactly. Imagine being a Vikings fan yesterday. So many missed tackles.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting. So we are decent vs 3rd and short, very good at 3rd and mid, and in the bottom quarter in 3rd and long or very long. 

3rd and 0-3 - Give up first 59.6% (16th)

3rd and 4-6 - 38.6% (3rd best)

3rd and 7-9 - 38.9% (8th worst)

3rd and 10+ - 23.2% (8th worst)

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Interesting. So we are decent vs 3rd and short, very good at 3rd and mid, and in the bottom quarter in 3rd and long or very long. 

3rd and 0-3 - Give up first 59.6% (16th)

3rd and 4-6 - 38.6% (3rd best)

3rd and 7-9 - 38.9% (8th worst)

3rd and 10+ - 23.2% (8th worst)

This doesn't add up. The Bills finished 7th in the NFL on 3rd down defense this year. Opponents converted 37.5% against them. 

It's seems hard to be 7th in the NFL based on the splits you gave. Unless opponents were in 3rd and 4-6 a lot more often than the other distances.

Do you have the number of times for each?

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

At first OP said 3rd and long. I'd have to agree a bit and say I get nervous as well. 
then the OP goes on and says the bills are awful in 3rd downs. I disagree with that. 

If awful means 7th best in the NFL(6th if you include the playoff game), then yeah, I guess we are awful.

What it says more tho is that OP likely doesn't watch very many other games so he has no comparison point 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This doesn't add up. The Bills finished 7th in the NFL on 3rd down defense this year. Opponents converted 37.5% against them. 

It's seems hard to be 7th in the NFL based on the splits you gave. Unless opponents were in 3rd and 4-6 a lot more often than the other distances.

Do you have the number of times for each?

3rd & 1-3 = 57    

4-6 = 44

7-9 = 36

10+ = 82

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If awful means 7th best in the NFL(6th if you include the playoff game), then yeah, I guess we are awful.

What it says more tho is that OP likely doesn't watch very many other games so he has no comparison point 

Could be for sure. Cant blame a dude for only watching buffalo games. I know it's tough for me most Sundays with kids and a wife that doesn't like football lol. 

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Could be for sure. Cant blame a dude for only watching buffalo games. I know it's tough for me most Sundays with kids and a wife that doesn't like football lol. 

Are you saying some peoples wives dont want to sit around watching football all day Sunday? While refilling your beer and cooking wings? 

Just now, ngbills said:

Are you saying some peoples wives dont want to sit around watching football all day Sunday? While refilling your beer and cooking wings? 

Nope. Some guys have priorities to kids and wives who don't like football. So when the game is done they hang with them and do stuff they like to. It's called compromise. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.