We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Does it not seem kind of strange the NFL made concessions for a Baltimore-Cincy playoff game possibility(coin flip if Baltimore won week 18), a KC-Buffalo playoff game concession(neutral site if they meet in the AFCCG) but not a Cincinnati-Buffalo playoff game concession when those were the two actual teams affected most?

I can't blame the Bengals and Bengal fans for feeling like they got screwed in this whole thing. They kinda did.

The bills were a win ahead with the same amount of games played…concessions were for teams with an unequal number of games 

The bills bengals game never officially happened 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Does it not seem kind of strange the NFL made concessions for a Baltimore-Cincy playoff game possibility(coin flip if Baltimore won week 18), a KC-Buffalo playoff game concession(neutral site if they meet in the AFCCG) but not a Cincinnati-Buffalo playoff game concession when those were the two actual teams affected most?

I can't blame the Bengals and Bengal fans for feeling like they got screwed in this whole thing. They kinda did.

I think the main reason was that if Baltimore had won that last regular season game they would have swept the Bengals.  So in that scenario the Bengals, having lost BOTH games to their divisional rival Baltimore, would "win" the division on the basis of playing one less game.  If you're a Ravens fan you've got to think that the Bills still had at least a 50/50 chance to beat the Bengals with the score 7 - 3 2/3 of the way through the 1st quarter.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

GoldStar over Skyline.  I said what I said. I lived in Cincy for a little over a year.

Skyline is way better.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Many say that.  Would you believe in my trips I never made it to GoldStar?

I would like to rectify that one day.

The problem with Skyline is that they make the stuff in a warehouse in Fairfield and then just heat it up in the restaurant. If you really want to get the stuff made correctly in small(ish) batches, go to a local place. The one I like is Camp Washington Chili. If you're driving through Cincinnati on I75, just get off at Hopple. It's right there. People also really like Blue Ash Chili, but I've never been there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

But that game would directly have affected the Bengals ability to be the 2 seed(or 1 if the Chiefs had lost). How is that any different?

Best answer I can give is that a compromise is typically best when all sides aren't happy.  

If I made the decision, I would have never had the coin flip option for CIN/BAL based on who wins the final game.  That would have given all top teams involved a positive and negative.

-Bengals win Division automatically, but are relegated to the 3 seed

-Bills lose control of the 1 seed, but are guaranteed the 2 seed provided they win their regular season finale

-Chiefs gain everything without doing anything, but may face a neutral field AFC Championship Game.

I guess, Baltimore might feel slighted in that scenario, but they clearly did not care, at all, about a chance at a coin flip home game... and they weren't serious contenders without Lamar... maybe that should matter in all this, maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Bengals got royally screwed on that deal

Not really. You have to make the point that Cincinnati scored a touchdown and the Bills kicked a field goal at the 3. If the bills knew the game would be over in less than a minute because one of their players died on the field they would have went for it and probably had a pretty good chance to score a TD. Other than that silly argument. The bills got screwed worse than Cincinnati . The Bills were the #1 seed. If they win that game & Patriots game they have a bye last week. They lost a lot more

Edited by Paul Costa
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But that game would directly have affected the Bengals ability to be the 2 seed(or 1 if the Chiefs had lost). How is that any different?

The rules don't consider what would have happened in the wiped out game, just that a game that was previously on the schedule no longer exists, and now there's a games played disparity. I agree that maximum fairness would involve replaying the game but there was no time to do so, and they want to minimize and avoid if all possible frilly things like coin flips.

Bengals shouldn't have thrown 5 picks or whatever against the steelers if they wanted to host this one. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The problem with Skyline is that they make the stuff in a warehouse in Fairfield and then just heat it up in the restaurant. If you really want to get the stuff made correctly in small(ish) batches, go to a local place. The one I like is Camp Washington Chili. If you're driving through Cincinnati on I75, just get off at Hopple. It's right there. People also really like Blue Ash Chili, but I've never been there.

I've been there. 

It was an old-school kind of diner. 

Was it good though? Not really. 

Huge spaghetti noodles. 

10 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Lol, no doubt. You guys have a couple childish posters here I should ignore, as do we, but Chiefs Planet is on an entirely different level.  They are nonstop miserable.

dude you're on a message board of bills fans and beating your chest. i'm mocking sports behavior, i'm being entirely over the top because it's entertaining, and frankly i don't care what a fanboy of another team thinks.

it is 1 thing that you do not believe the player rolled into allen intentionallly despite photographic proof.

it's another thing where commons sense says those degens who post on football message boards represent less than 10% of the population.

the 1% of that population that chooses to go to another teams board to "chat" before a game is ridiculous. Save for a few fans who generally stick around to discuss football all year round and not fanboy constantly - it's few and far between that any opposing fan is relevant to the 10% of a teams fanbase.

i would expect the same or worse treatment from bengals fan on the kittyboard.com bengals fansite.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Best answer I can give is that a compromise is typically best when all sides aren't happy.  

If I made the decision, I would have never had the coin flip option for CIN/BAL based on who wins the final game.  That would have given all top teams involved a positive and negative.

-Bengals win Division automatically, but are relegated to the 3 seed

-Bills lose control of the 1 seed, but are guaranteed the 2 seed provided they win their regular season finale

-Chiefs gain everything without doing anything, but may face a neutral field AFC Championship Game.

I guess, Baltimore might feel slighted in that scenario, but they clearly did not care, at all, about a chance at a coin flip home game... and they weren't serious contenders without Lamar... maybe that should matter in all this, maybe not.

The Bills won-lost, KC won-lost but CIN lost-lost.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I was surprised to learn when I first moved to Ohio that college football is bigger in huge portions of the country than the NFL. That also goes for the NFL talking heads, who pay as much attention to the college games as they do NFL games because draft hot-takes are an important part of their job. I think that the reason that the national media LOVES the Bengals is that their key players were highly-regarded prospects coming into the draft from powerhouse teams.

• Joe Burrow ran the BEST OFFENSE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY
  • Chase was his primary receiver on the BEST OFFENSE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY
  • Tee Higgins caught passes from Trevor Lawrence in HUGE games
  • Joe Mixon played in huge college games at Oklahoma, as did Perine.

Now lets look at the Bills

• Josh Allen: Wyoming
  • Stefon Diggs: Maryland
  • Gabe Davis: South Florida
  • Devin Singletary: Florida Atlantic
  • Dawson Knox: Ole Miss, but he was a project who saw little production in college

The Bengals are a team of blue chip prospects who were easy to project coming into the league. The Bills are a team full of guys who are defying the odds. The Bills also call into question the notion that college production is the primary indicator of NFL success. It makes scouting players coming into the draft a lot more difficult for media personalities because college production is all they have to evaluate. 

Also, everyone loves Joe Burrow because nobody has an embarrassing draft-night hot take to live down. You know that whenever Josh Allen throws an INT, every NFL talking head (except Kiper) gets that little spark of hope that maybe, just maybe, he or she (I'm looking right at you Mina Kimes) will be proven right in the end.

Great insight and I think you're spot on.  When I moved to Cincinnati 35 years ago I had no choice but to fall in love with college football.  And I'm glad I did as the college game is a lot of fun to watch (live and on TV) and helped me survive the lost years of the Bills from 2000 - 2018.  BTW, High School football is huge down here.  I attended a game between two HS powers at Paul Brown Stadium that had over 50,000 people there.

And you're right about how these analysts become bandwagon fans of elite college players coming into the NFL.  Lawrence led a great comeback against the Chargers in the 2nd half but the "experts" all seem to have forgotten that he threw FOUR INTERCEPTIONS in one half and all but one of the picks were terrible decisions and throws.   And notice how going into the Chiefs/Jags game you don't hear a constant refrain of "if Lawrence is as careless with the INT's against KC as he was against LA there's no way the Jags can win".  Interesting no?

And for a lot of these "experts" Allen is the living proof of how little they know about football and quarterbacking.  As long s Allen is successful it makes them look stupid.  So every time Allen has a rough game they pounce on him in a way that they don't pounce on almost every other QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, boyst said:

dude you're on a message board of bills fans and beating your chest. i'm mocking sports behavior, i'm being entirely over the top because it's entertaining, and frankly i don't care what a fanboy of another team thinks.

it is 1 thing that you do not believe the player rolled into allen intentionallly despite photographic proof.

it's another thing where commons sense says those degens who post on football message boards represent less than 10% of the population.

the 1% of that population that chooses to go to another teams board to "chat" before a game is ridiculous. Save for a few fans who generally stick around to discuss football all year round and not fanboy constantly - it's few and far between that any opposing fan is relevant to the 10% of a teams fanbase.

i would expect the same or worse treatment from bengals fan on the kittyboard.com bengals fansite.

Guy, you are actually the most condescending ass here.  We have some idiots on our board but you can’t help yourself with the derogatory remarks.

You said you wanted to talk football and asked me to respond even after your asshatery.  And I did.

Can we talk ball?

1 minute ago, wppete said:

So 4 out of 5 Starting O-linemen for the Bengals are out Sunday? Only Karas is playing? 

3 starters are out, we have a 4th round rookie starter who still struggles at times along with Karras.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills won-lost, KC won-lost but CIN lost-lost.  

Agreed, which is why I would have just given them the home field which comes along with winning the Division.  No coin flip option necessary. 

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Yea but I can get to several different Skyline's in 10 minutes and be seated immediately.  The Blue Ash & Camp Washington chili joints are a pain for me to get to.  But I agree that they both have the best chili.

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

because if the game was finished they would've won and would be hosting our Bills sunday. They have every right to be pissed. The league should've made it right by making this week a neutral venue as well or tried to fit the rest of that game in

lol ok

• Awesome! (+1) 1