Madden in 1993: “You get concussed you shouldn’t play.”

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hockey was so much worse than the NFL. I remember watching this as a kid thinking it was awesome. Now there is no way this happens. Gets completely knocked out and then comes back in the same game.

Stevens was always a dirty player. That type of hit was always with intent to injure. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think the Tua situation this year is going to result in changes with more restrictions.  He got three concussions this year, not two.  The first one was in the first Bills game.  He never should have been allowed to return to the field in that game.  Getting two more in the same year suggests he probably didn't fully recover from the first one. 

This situation should lead to a full review of the concussion protocol during the off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

It's always been known. I got a concussion in I wanna say 1994 and I wasn't allowed to play in another soccer game for two weeks.

MMA started in the 90s and it was one KO and you're done.

High profile sports (football, hockey, boxing, etc.) have always just done everything they can to ignore it.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That stuff was always celebrated. Heck I remember when Campbell turned Umberger into Hamburger and it’s probably every Sabres fan’s greatest moment the last 20 years.

Yup. Big hits. Remember Don Cherrys Rock ‘em Sock ‘em videos?

This was 1993, not 1893. They knew all about concussions then. They just ignored it sometimes. It wasn't a lack of knowledge, it was a lack of caring.

These days they force the players and coaches to take it more seriously.

Really helps solidify John Maddens dynasty in regards to his input and feeling regarding pro football

You could say he was ahead of curve with this one.... Great find OP...  and Yay for John Madden for saying it on air back then.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, StHustle said:

For many, the opportunity to be the one to bring generational wealth to your family is worth that risk.

and many would still play, even if they were paid hardly anything. That’s the way I’ve always personally felt about the sport.

Times are changing though, and it does seem like the league needs to take steps to protect the players from themselves.

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have NEVER seen a single former NFL player say they regret their career given what we now know about CTE.

They ALL say "no regrets" and most usually say "I'd do it again."

So there you go.

more than a few have said they wouldn’t let their kids play though. 

20 hours ago, StHustle said:

For many, the opportunity to be the one to bring generational wealth to your family is worth that risk.

For just the risk of getting a concussion, sure. But AFTER you get a concussion, being told to get right back in there? How would you feel then, especially if you've had concussions before & know how they make you feel?

I had a moderate concussion just once playing Lacrosse, and there was no way I'd ever have been able to keep playing. Hell, apparently I did keep playing, but within a minute my coaches noticed I was all over the place, pulled me from the game & then realized something was very wrong.

Imagine doing that on the NFL level, with those 250-300+ lb dudes coming at you with even more speed... and instead of trying to recover, you're told to go back out there with even less awareness & ability to protect yourself. These guys probably only agreed to it because they were ALREADY CONCUSSED 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.