Tua ruled out vs Buffalo, Skylar Thompson expected to start

Process

10 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Really great points.  Watching the second game now on NFL network.  We were down 29-21 at one point until it started to snow. But the thing that was striking was all the mistakes the secondary made.  

One play Edmunds is gesturing to poyer to get deep and poyer stood there as Waddell ran right past him and Tua just dropped it in to a WIDE open Waddell for an easy 6. 
On another play , Tre tried to jam Hill , missed completely with hand check / fighting and Hill ran easily past Tre. To top it off , Hamlin again took a terrible angle helping Tre ( not piling on Hamlin when he is down , happy he will be fine obviously, but man he took terrible angles or just got beaten on many plays this year in coverage) and Hill was wide open for an easy pass any NFL  qb should be able to hit. 
There were several other passes the Fins receivers  took short balls or won with 50/50 balls and got great yac as our defensive backfield  did not look good. The run game wasn’t overwhelming and with Mostert with a fractured thumb , I don’t think they will be able to run at all in this game, so defending those slants and not missing tackles is crucial in this first playoff game.  Elam actually looked ok with good anticipation the second game and we prob need his speed out there. 

If we play that soft D like you described , even a third string qb can hit short passes  , wide open receivers and these guys have shown they can burn this defensive backfield taking short balls and going the distance.   We had issues both times we played the fins and the only difference will be Tua not being there. We blew coverages , lost one on ones , got beat for contested balls so if they are not careful the fins could hang around again until the 4 th and then the Bills could feel the pressure and Josh might feel like he has to be super Josh and we have seen that result in poor choices at times.    I am hoping Frazier plays tighter press coverage to mess up their timing , yet keeps two safeties deep if the corners miss jamming at the line.  

The other thing I wouldn’t do is leave a single  safety alone and bring one up closer to the line.  We miss  too many tackles and we have not shown we can have one guy deep like we could with hyde playing  and make up ground or take good angles to help the corners.  They have to keep things in front of them and not give up huge yardage or scoring  plays like they have in both prior games. .  I think Frazier and the d is the key to this first game and these guys have dangerous weapons who can and have beat our coverages. I think Elam should be in with his speed this game and they can’t get caught in formations where Tre has no help.

I just hope they don’t play down to the fins as they have  a good d ,  can hang around, esp if Josh try’s to do too much and fumbles  or turns  the ball over in the red zone. Most fans are predicting a blowout, but it’s a divisional opponent for a third game, and this is not the same old fins as they have a clever coach that is .500 against Mcd.  Tackling that speed and having to defend with at least one inexperienced safety against this Fins team is not an easy blowout imo. We should win, but so far in the prior two games we have made bad coverage mistakes.  Hopefully the coaching staff steps it up for playoff time and has these guys prepped well.  They have some confidence coming to Buffalo as they were up by 8 late in the game here; hopefully our O starts fast and doesn’t allow them to stay close. 

Not true. They will also probably be missing their two starting OTs and a starting OG. Mostert had thumb surgery on Monday so he's also likely out. All of those players played on 12/17.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Not true. They will also probably be missing their two starting OTs and a starting OG. Mostert had thumb surgery on Monday so he's also likely out. All of those players played on 12/17.

And there's a gigantic difference between Tua not being there...and having a rookie in his place starting on the road.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Mostert imo is now the key, without him and no Tua they dont have much of an offense.  

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

And there's a gigantic difference between Tua not being there...and having a rookie in his place starting on the road.

And a rookie in the Playoffs in Buffalo, yep good luck with that.

• Agree 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35426004/nfl-wild-card-round-playoff-game-picks-schedule-guide-predictions-odds-injuries-2023#miabuf

Bold prediction: Thompson will do everything he can in his first career playoff start, throwing for at least 270 yards and two touchdowns without turning the ball over. The Dolphins may lose Sunday, but it won't be because of the 2022 seventh-round pick. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Let me get this straight. Thompson has thrown for a grand total of 256 yds across two games, with 1 TD and 1 INT, and has been completely ineffective moving the offense down the field. Now, in his first Playoff start and in the hostile environment of OP, he is going to magically become a more than solid starter against one of the best teams in the NFL and a coaching staff that has a penchant for making rookies look lost on the field?.............

laughing-haha.gif

Edited by H2o
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35426004/nfl-wild-card-round-playoff-game-picks-schedule-guide-predictions-odds-injuries-2023#miabuf

Let me get this straight. Thompson has thrown for a grand total of 256 yds across two games, with 1 TD and 1 INT, and has been completely ineffective moving the offense down the field. Now, in his first Playoff start and in the hostile environment of OP, he is going to magically become a more than solid starter against one of the best teams in the NFL and a coaching staff that has a penchant for making rookies look lost on the field?.............

laughing-haha.gif

1) He's the Dolphins beat writer and is around that team all the time. He has to say things like this to maintain access. Scroll down and you'll see the Ravens beat writer predict that Joe Burrow won't throw a TD pass.

2) They did ask for a "bold prediction."

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

1) He's the Dolphins beat writer and is around that team all the time. He has to say things like this to maintain access. Scroll down and you'll see the Ravens beat writer predict that Joe Burrow won't throw a TD pass.

2) They did ask for a "bold prediction."

Bold vs Unrealistic

unbalance-law.gif

Marcel LJ says Thompson is feeling more confident every day and with every snap
Says that he feels he got a little taste of "Playoff Atmosphere" in their "win or go home" game at Hard Rock stadium against the Jets.

I. Can't.  Even.  Playoff Atmosphere.  Hardrock Stadium.  Jets.  Oh, dear....

More quotes here:

As Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Skylar Thompson prepares for his first playoff start, he can’t help but remember what his college quarterbacks coach told him at Kansas State.

“We strive for perfection in this position, and that’s what you want,” Thompson said. “But in reality, name a quarterback who has ever played a perfect game.

Hola, Skyler.  Came pretty damned close: 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202201150buf.htm

“For me, it’s just dialing in on one play at a time and taking the game as it comes, controlling what I can control, and ultimately just giving it my best, because my best is always enough. I think just moving forward, that’s going to be my same mentality, and just having fun with it.”

Oh, Skyler .......

Edited by Beck Water

On 1/12/2023 at 9:15 AM, Livinginthepast said:

Bills need to focus and not take the Fins lightly, no matter that they are facing a 3rd string. They need to get up early and not let them hang around. No more of these opening drives TDs or long drives given up to opposition. This way they can pile on the pressure and force Thompson into bad decisions in desperation as the game wears on. And can we please get out of this game without getting banged up? rest some starters in the 4th and get some backups in there for experience!

I agree 100% 

We have seen this from recent Bills teams. 

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:
Marcel LJ says Thompson is feeling more confident every day and with every snap
Says that he feels he got a little taste of "Playoff Atmosphere" in their "win or go home" game at Hard Rock stadium against the Jets.

I. Can't.  Even.  Playoff Atmosphere.  Hardrock Stadium.  Jets.  Oh, dear....

More quotes here:

They’re saying all the right stuff, but… oof, he‘s in for a rude awakening tomorrow as far as atmosphere goes!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.