Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Watched NFL Live and they were ripping the Bills defense. They said they can't win if they play like that. I guess I'm not the only one worried about the defense.  

Simply Josh Allen will need to do it all in the playoffs unless there's a huge change with the D and a lucky bounce here or there ( like on two INTs yesterday).

The D will need to be opportunistic, yes. Lucky bounces isn't quite fair but opportunistic, certainly. Because in the secondary they have one safety with a torn meniscus, another they brought back mid season for a 7th rounder, a former 7th rounder starting every game at corner, a corner still not fully right after an ACL tear and then a couple of rookies. That secondary isn't going to hold up.

They are not going to win this post season keeping teams to 20. Won't happen. But nor will it for KC or Cincy. For any of those teams to win they are going to have to rely on offense. 

1 hour ago, IndyMark said:

Phillips lasted only, what, 19 snaps and Oliver was truly invisible - and they ran right at him.

Oliver was certainly poor yesterday and had very little impact on the game. But where were the plays that the Patriots ran right at him? It actually looked like the opposite to me for the most part they made a concerted effort to run away from him.

• Agree 1

Frazier's scheme is fine.  Just look at the defensive stats since he's been here.

This season, our D was decimated by key injuries.  Miller and Hyde out for of the year.  White out for much of the year and just now maybe rounding into form.  Milano, Poyer, and Edmunds have all missed games.   It feels like when a defensive player gets hurt, it's always one of our most-impactful, most-needed defenders.  

Even so, PFF has us with the 4th best defensive DVOA in the league.  We would have been #1 if our defensive stars could have stayed reasonably healthy.  

Given the injuries to Hyde and Miller and my doubts about White being fully recovered, I do worry about our D in the playoffs.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Mac Jones carved this Bills defense up like knife thru butter and they have a putrid offense.

Chiefs or Bengals will absolutely annihilate this Bills defense. That's why I'm hoping Josh Allen and the offense will score a lot of points.

All the money and all the draft picks spent on defense and we are depending on the offense to win games.

I only watch Bills game when Josh Allen is on the field then change the channel when he's not because I know this

Bills defense cannot stop good offenses like Chiefs or Bengals.

Actually I do that a lot too, because the defense is hard to watch.  The Bills were lucky when you look at the QB's they faced during the year.  They played a lot of bad ones. 

Yes there are injuries, but schemes and play calling too has not been great on the defensive side.     

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, Bermuda Triangle said:

The number of (1) easy, stress-free completions and (2) receivers running open downfield, is alarming, to say the least.

I've never been a big fan of Frazier's style of defense, but even his staunchest defenders have to admit that the defense has played poorly of late.

Will Frazier be able to right the ship before next weekend?

Teams have managed an 80.1 passer rating against our defense this year. That's 4th best in the league.

Considering the injuries of Von Miller, Hyde and several CBs, they're playing exceptionally well. Hell, they're playing well even if you leave the injuries out of it.

The ship doesn't need to be righted, but adjusting the set of the sails just a bit is a good idea for nearly every team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Mac Jones carved this Bills defense up like knife thru butter and they have a putrid offense.

Chiefs or Bengals will absolutely annihilate this Bills defense. That's why I'm hoping Josh Allen and the offense will score a lot of points.

All the money and all the draft picks spent on defense and we are depending on the offense to win games.

I only watch Bills game when Josh Allen is on the field then change the channel when he's not because I know this

Bills defense cannot stop good offenses like Chiefs or Bengals.

I know. Mac Jones carved us up like a knife through butter.

You know how those knives are always throwing 3 INTS as they cut through butter. 243 yards!!! WOW!! Joe Montana-esque!!! I thought he was Dan Marino and Pat Mahomes combined out there!!! 5.85 Yards per attempt in the passing game.

75.3 passer rating. That's how the passer ratings look when knives carve through butter, isn't it?

And 23 points scored!!!!!!!!! He was downright Peyton Manning-esque out there!!! It almost looked like they'd sneaked Brady into Mac's jersey!!!

You are delusional. Seriously.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually I do that a lot too, because the defense is hard to watch.  The Bills were lucky when you look at the QB's they faced during the year.  They played a lot of bad ones. 

Yes there are injuries, but schemes and play calling to has not been great on the defensive side.     

Wrong.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

You know how those knives are always throwing 3 INTS as they cut through butter. 243 yards!!! WOW!! Joe Montana-esque!!! I thought he was Dan Marino and Pat Mahomes combined out there!!! 5.85 Yards per attempt in the passing game.

75.3 passer rating. That's how the passer ratings look when knives carve through butter, isn't it?

And 23 points scored!!!!!!!!! He was downright Peyton Manning-esque out there!!! It almost looked like they'd sneaked Brady into Mac's jersey!!!

Mac had a good first half and seriously, Patricia had a nice plan. The Bills starting a new safety duo on a truncated practice week? He gave them lots of switch route combinations where it is all about communication defensively and took advantage. They got a beat on what the Patriots were doing second half and suddenly it was less easy. Even the touchdown catch they had from Parker was just a 50/50 ball thrown against good coverage that he came down with. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Fine the defence is great and will be the reason they win the SB.  Does that make you happy?

Let's hope they can contain Thompson & the phins this week.

No, because that isn't true either. I know nuance isn't your thing but maybe give it a go. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/9/2023 at 4:58 AM, Bruffalo said:

The lack of pressure that we used to be getting with Miller is starting to expose our beat up secondary.  Since we play primarily zone, getting consistent pressure is really important to throw the timing of the QB off.  As decent as Rousseau has been, the other side is just filled with JAGs now.

Damn shame considering how much draft capital and money we spent on the position. Epenesa and Basham were horrible pks that never amounted to nothing. It seems to me a DE is drafted in the 2nd rd there usually jag type players. I know there’s later rd guys that’s become stars but the 2nd rd guys usually never good I don’t know why. 

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Damn shame considering how much draft capital and money we spent on the position. Epenesa and Basham were horrible pks that never amounted to nothing. It seems to me a DE is drafted in the 2nd rd there usually jag type players. I know there’s later rd guys that’s become stars but the 2nd rd guys usually never good I don’t know why. 

Little harsh on AJE who while certainly not justifying the draft capital expended on him through three years to this point... he does have 6.5 sacks as a situational player this year. That isn't amounting to nothing, but agree it isn't enough. 

But I really wanted to reflect on your wider point about second round edge rushers. There might be something in that and I think it is because that is where guys who have good college production but lack elite traits tend to go. That is EXACTLY the way I categorised Boogie coming out even before the Bills took him. He was a good college player, I just didn't see how he was going to "win" at the NFL level. 

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

It's a league trend with Great Quaterbacking and super talented Wide receivers. The key is to shut them down in the Red zone. 

If you don't have a pass rush, you are toast 

And the Bills have been second best in redzone defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

On those two first half drives that New England scored they did easily move the ball down field, but it wasn’t because the defenders were getting “beat” but because of missed assignments, defenders getting pulled in on play action and offensive schemes that were designed well against our defensive schemes on those particular plays.

Defenders getting beat is when they are beaten by a step or two and the catches are either contested or at the very least the defender is in the vicinity of the play.   Those two drives the receivers were wide open, defenders were 3-5 yards away.

That was very uncharacteristic of this defense and they’l have to start games off better.   Aside from those two drives the defense played very well and were very opportunistic which is what they will need to be in the playoffs.

• Agree 2

On 1/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, John from Riverside said:

Still beating teams by multiple scores

If the Bills advance to the Super Bowl, and the opponent is one of Philly, Niners or Dallas, Josh is in for a long day.  He could get killed against those pass rushes.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Little harsh on AJE who while certainly not justifying the draft capital expended on him through three years to this point... he does have 6.5 sacks as a situational player this year. That isn't amounting to nothing, but agree it isn't enough. 

But I really wanted to reflect on your wider point about second round edge rushers. There might be something in that and I think it is because that is where guys who have good college production but lack elite traits tend to go. That is EXACTLY the way I categorised Boogie coming out even before the Bills took him. He was a good college player, I just didn't see how he was going to "win" at the NFL level. 

And the Bills have been second best in redzone defense. 

I agree and most likely after the 2nd rd is over they start looking at smaller school guys with athletic traits and scheme fit players. Guys like Maxx Crosby and Trey Hendrickson come to mind . On another note I think Best edge rushers come from the big 10 & big 12 conference especially in the later rds of draft. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I can agree with that, but it's not like KC's pass rush is a bunch of push overs. I'd rather have their's than ours. They actually have 1 more sack than NE does. KC's defense has only generated 20 turnovers this year, which is good for us, but turnovers can be a result of so many different factors, it's hard to say that's an advantage, since you don't know when or where they will happen.

What I see wrong with Cincy's D is almost like they let off the gas at times. They've had a tendency to let teams back into games, which is obviously problematic.

D Coordinator Lou Anarumo is very good at mixing up his defenses. He doesn't have the best talent but he's schemes, mixing it up, and game time adjustments are very good. Definelty a cat and mouse game when you go up against his defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Soooo I’ve been curious to see what people think

is it possible they go into a game and figure it out as they go?

seems like that’s been happening and they adjust really well to stop specific things

but I also feel Frazier and McDermott are too proud of their system they wouldn’t adopt San Fran and chargers game plan in defense against the dolphins 

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree and most likely after the 2nd rd is over they start looking at smaller school guys with athletic traits and scheme fit players. Guys like Maxx Crosby and Trey Hendrickson come to mind . On another note I think Best edge rushers come from the big 10 & big 12 conference especially in the later rds of draft. 

Little project for me for the weekend I'll try and do a little breakdown of edge players selected in rounds 2 vs 3-5 over the last five years. My gut tells me you are onto something. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This was what I was referring to

like borrow carved us up the first drive - I think by 3rd quarter it would have stopped 

Just now, Drew21PA said:

Soooo I’ve been curious to see what people think

is it possible they go into a game and figure it out as they go?

seems like that’s been happening and they adjust really well to stop specific things

but I also feel Frazier and McDermott are too proud of their system they wouldn’t adopt San Fran and chargers game plan in defense against the dolphins 

Frazier and McDermott do make very good adjustments. They are the best 2nd half defense in the entire NFL in points given up in 2022 and they were second best in 2021. That is not coincidence. They adjust to what they see. 

On your last point I will repeat again, for about the 10th time, that the 49ers and the Chargers did NOT adopt the same game plans vs Miami. They defended them quite differently. 

18 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Head to head though you like the Bills corners over Cincy's based on who they will be matching?   Of course we have Diggs, but outside of him, do any of our receivers scare them?

They've got Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and even Hurst.  All of those guys have caught more balls than any other receiver on the Bills not named Diggs.

The Bengals have a superior pass catching group when comparing it to the Bills. That's a major concern because Burrow will find the open receiver and spread it around. In the 5 min they played he found Hurst and a wide open Boyd for a TD. Their weapons pose a serious problem for the Bills D. Imho, the Bills D won't be able to stop the Bengals offense. The Bills will have to win in a shootout. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, because that isn't true either. I know nuance isn't your thing but maybe give it a go. 

Trust me I get it.  It was a tough week too.  The issue is the defence to me has been meh.  Miami was the last decent Offensive team we played and they carved up the Bills defence. 

Bend don't break is fine if the offence is humming, but not so sure they are either.  Seems too many long drives are required to score points. 

Let's all agree we're still talking about the Bills next playoff game in 4 weeks (and not 2024)!!!! 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:55 AM, section122 said:

The Bills are down to their 3rd string FS.  That alone can cause some problems.  

They are missing their best pass rusher that contributes to longer times to cover.

All that and the Bills have still won 7 in a row.

The Bills finished with the 5th lowest ypa against which is a strong indicator imo of pass defense.

They were 14th against completion % so they are allowing short passes to be completed then rallying to the tackle.

They gave up the 9th least td passes and tied for the 4th most interceptions.

They aren't as bad as people think they are, it is just an emotional reaction as they are invested in the Bills success.

I think this is fools gold here. We said this previously when the Bills had the #1 ranked defense. We all knew the defense was vastly overrated then and couldn't be trusted. They failed to make the stops when they had to. 

Fast forward to now. No way do I trust this defense in the playoffs vs KC, Cinci, and LA. They are just too young, injuried, inconsistent, and predictable. I hope I'm wrong but no way would I be confident that this defense in its current can make a big stop to win the game. 

Don't get caught up in the stats. They don't paint an accurate picture especially when it comes to playing quality playoff offenses. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

Yes there are injuries, but schemes and play calling to has not been great on the defensive side.     

If you guys change the channel when the Bills are on defense, how do you know when the offense is back on the field?

14 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think everyone is obviously excited for the playoffs coming up and the recovery of Damar Hamlin, but the elephant in the room (thank you for bringing it up) is the pass defense for sure. Mac Jones was looking like Drew Brees out there hitting everything for most of the game. Without Hines returning those TDs, the game could’ve ended up different. But to answer your question I am very concerned. 

I agree. I will add on to your post. Burrow and the Bengals offense was shredding, gashing, and ripping apart the Bills secondary at will. Granted it was a 5 minute sample. Nevertheless, it has to raise some eyebrows. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

If you guys change the channel when the Bills are on defense, how do you know when the offense is back on the field?

PVR the games, so I go back to where I left off.  When the Defence has third & 8, I often turn the channel as I am just too nervous watching them. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Frazier and McDermott do make very good adjustments. They are the best 2nd half defense in the entire NFL in points given up in 2022 and they were second best in 2021. That is not coincidence. They adjust to what they see. 

On your last point I will repeat again, for about the 10th time, that the 49ers and the Chargers did NOT adopt the same game plans vs Miami. They defended them quite differently. 

When we play Cincy in Buffalo the following week that tells me if we can stay close early then we have a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Teams have managed an 80.1 passer rating against our defense this year. That's 4th best in the league.

Considering the injuries of Von Miller, Hyde and several CBs, they're playing exceptionally well. Hell, they're playing well even if you leave the injuries out of it.

The ship doesn't need to be righted, but adjusting the set of the sails just a bit is a good idea for nearly every team.

I think we need to look at the QBs the Bills have faced. Since week 8; Rodgers, Zach Wilson, Kousins, Brisett, Geoff, Jones, White, Tua, and Fields. None of those QBs are elite passers who scare a defense. No way this defense stops Burrows or Mahomes. They are on a different planet just like Allen is. No way their defenses stop Allen. 

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think we need to look at the QBs the Bills have faced. Since week 8; Rodgers, Zach Wilson, Kousins, Brisett, Geoff, Jones, White, Tua, and Fields. None of those QBs are elite passers who scare a defense. No way this defense stops Burrows or Mahomes. They are on a different planet just like Allen is. No way their defenses stop Allen. 

A few spelling mistakes, but exactly what I keep saying.

My concern is the Bills offence too has been a little clunky at times and not running on all cylinders, which they need to be come the playoffs.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't agree with this post at all. In fact, I think it's pretty disingenuous. I don't care what the stats say. Jones played well, looked good, and was exploiting the Bills secondary. Don't forget to look at the stats of the Pats offense. They are arguably one of the worst offenses in the league. Not a small point to neglect. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't agree with this post at all. In fact, I think it's pretty disingenuous. I don't care what the stats say. Jones played well, looked good, and was exploiting the Bills secondary. Don't forget to look at the stats of the Pats offense. They are arguably one of the worst offenses in the league. Not a small point to neglect. 

First half, yep. they had a good plan and he executed. The Pats average 21.5 points per game and they scored 23 on Sunday. It was a rare occasion when a team out performed their normal offense against the Bills. The second half though the Bills caught up to them. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

First half, yep. they had a good plan and he executed. The Pats average 21.5 points per game and they scored 23 on Sunday. It was a rare occasion when a team out performed their normal offense against the Bills. The second half though the Bills caught up to them. 

And two Ints that were the result of fortuitous bounces (easily could have been incompletions).  They had a 60 & 85 yard drive in the second half.  Jones threw 3 Ints too (Bills fumbled twice).  

You really are a glass half full guy (admittedely I'm half empty).

• Agree 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And two Ints that were the result of fortuitous bounces (easily could have been incompletions).  They had a 60 & 85 yard drive in the second half.  Jones threw 3 Ints too (Bills fumbled twice).  

You really are a glass half full guy (admittedely I'm half empty).

He had a worse completion percentage and his one TD was just a 50/50 ball into good coverage. The Bills didn't fortuitously have players in position to pick off those bounces though. Second half they had a beat on where Jones was going with the football whereas first half they were confused and having to react late. I am not glass half anything. I don't project my thoughts about the team onto what I see. I see what is there.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He had a worse completion percentage and his one TD was just a 50/50 ball into good coverage. The Bills didn't fortuitously have players in position to pick off those bounces though. Second half they had a beat on where Jones was going with the football whereas first half they were confused and having to react late. I am not glass half anything. I don't project my thoughts about the team onto what I see. I see what is there.  

Geez seem to be saying that every week.  

Oh another QB completing a 50/50 throw (could say the same thing about the first int.  BTW would be nice to see a Bills receiver catch a 50/50 ball.....😉)

So again Bills fans are excited about how they played vs. Mac Jones?  

Well NE should be even more excited they held Allen to 21 points (and lamenting two long completions) and outscored the Bills offence 23-21. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Agree 1

Ok didn’t they use the same concept though to push the plays outside?

46 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Oh another QB completing a 50/50 throw (could say the same thing about the first int.  BTW would be nice to see a Bills receiver catch a 50/50 ball.....😉

Well NE should be even more excited they held Allen to 21 points (and lamenting two long completions) and outscored the Bills offence 23-21. 

You absolutely could say the same about the first INT. If you are forcing QBs to throw 50/50 balls that is a good thing. The Bills did that much more 2nd half. 1st half there were guys open because of miscommunications in the secondary that the Pats exploited (intentionally). 

I am not "excited" about how they played Mac Jones. I am just correcting the incorrect statements. 

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Ok didn’t they use the same concept though to push the plays outside?

Not any more than is the standard. They used a very similar plan to the Bills, they ran a lot of cover 2 shell with zone coverage on the backend and some Tampa 2 looks where Fred Warner dropped early the way the Bills tried to do with Edmunds. The Chargers ran much more of a bespoke scheme that was very specific to that game. The 49ers basically ran their normal defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You absolutely could say the same about the first INT. If you are forcing QBs to throw 50/50 balls that is a good thing. The Bills did that much more 2nd half. 1st half there were guys open because of miscommunications in the secondary that the Pats exploited (intentionally). 

I am not "excited" about how they played Mac Jones. I am just correcting the incorrect statements. 

Not any more than is the standard. They used a very similar plan to the Bills, they ran a lot of cover 2 shell with zone coverage on the backend and some Tampa 2 looks where Fred Warner dropped early the way the Bills tried to do with Edmunds. The Chargers ran much more of a bespoke scheme that was very specific to that game. The 49ers basically ran their normal defense. 

How many 50/50 balls does Allen throw hoping the receiver makes the play?  Very few from what I see (and when he does the Bill doesn't make the catch).

Do you think that Tre's int was pretty much a 50 50 pass?

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Oh another QB completing a 50/50 throw (could say the same thing about the first int.  BTW would be nice to see a Bills receiver catch a 50/50 ball.....😉

BINGO!

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

BINGO!

GunnerBill knows more than us, just ask him.

Actually he probably does, but the eye test is pretty clear too.

Tre's Int was a bad read and Tre had position and was a pretty easy int (though a Bills wideout probably drops it as it was into coverage🤣).

NFL Live yesterday said that the Bills are going nowhere with the Defense playing like this and pointed out Mac was 17-17 in their scoring drives.  

So the question is does GunnerBill know more than those on NFL Live?😉

How many 50/50 balls does Allen throw hoping the receiver makes the play?  Very few from what I see (and when he does the Bill doesn't make the catch).

What does this have to do with the price of milk? Talk about being off topic....

40 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Yep. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.