Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Nothing as you already know, but once again this is an unprecedented situation. Frankly, I don't care if the 5 teams get an extra week even if they do practice. 

Except for the simple fact the Bills have yet to practice this week ...

Isn't there also a theory that the teams that rest their starters week 17 (or now week 18) and then also get a bye week end up returning a bit rusty for their first playoff game anyway? I'm not sure I'd want the Bills off 2 weeks but if people see it as an advantage then who cares. Its one team (AFC 1st seed) if it is done the way the twitter post above suggests.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

If we finally win a Super Bowl, I would like it to be under circumstances where a giant asterisk is not attached to it. Just forfeit the Bengals game and go into the playoffs as a 3 seed. They'll have to do it the hard way, but that's how they've been doing it all year anyway.

there’s no giant asterisk. It’ll be forgotten near instantly. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Except for the simple fact the Bills have yet to practice this week ...

Nothing they can do about the Patriots game unfortunately. It's an awful position. The Patriots are fighting for their playoff lives and the Bills understandably will not be focused.

22 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

If we finally win a Super Bowl, I would like it to be under circumstances where a giant asterisk is not attached to it. Just forfeit the Bengals game and go into the playoffs as a 3 seed. They'll have to do it the hard way, but that's how they've been doing it all year anyway.

Agree 100%. Take the L and treat this Sunday like preseason. Get great news on Damar. Embrace the 3 seed. Win it all.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s been said in another thread:

If you resume the game as a stand alone Week 19 matchup, nobody is penalized. 

And we all avoid sitting through the stupid Pro Bowl week. 

The Bills and Bengals are penalized.  Loser of that game has to play in the Wild Card.  So your 2 or 3 seed will be playing the 6 or 7 seed while the 6 or 7 seed is on a bye.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

there’s no giant asterisk. It’ll be forgotten near instantly. 

Not by butt hurt Chiefs fans on Chiefs Planet.  But I am told they are a minority of the Chiefs fanbase and just a small grouping of the worst of humanity. 

I would really like to just take the three seed rather than reschedule this game before the playoffs and take on more injury. It was always our most likely outcome of the regular season. Taking the three seed means we still have to find a way to get the crucial win on the road at Cincinatti. It really makes the most sense. I don't mind conceding the one seed. It was always at least a 50/50 chance the Chiefs would obtain it these last two weeks anyway. 

My real preference would be to not even play the Pats game and just steam roll the #6 or #7 seed at home with fresh players who have their mind in the right place.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

There wouldn't be a huge asterisk that people will think they won it because of this.  The Bills could have very well won that game.  They were a full game ahead of Cincinnati going into the contest.  They had the better record.  It wasn't like they were tied in the standings with the Bills leading on a tie breaker.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s been said in another thread:

If you resume the game as a stand alone Week 19 matchup, nobody is penalized. 

And we all avoid sitting through the stupid Pro Bowl week. 

The teams playing in the Super Bowl then only have 1 week to rest and prepare.....

Not to mention, the entire league gets a bye week before the playoffs.....except the Bills and Bengals 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

The Bills and Bengals are penalized.  Loser of that game has to play in the Wild Card.  So your 2 or 3 seed will be playing the 6 or 7 seed while the 6 or 7 seed is on a bye.  

Without playing the game BOTH teams are going to have to play in the wildcard round. There’s zero chance the league is gifting the Bills the #1 seed. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not by butt hurt Chiefs fans on Chiefs Planet.  But I am told they are a minority of the Chiefs fanbase and just a small grouping of the worst of humanity. 

I would really like to just take the three seed rather than reschedule this game before the playoffs and take on more injury. It was always our most likely outcome of the regular season. Taking the three seed means we still have to find a way to get the crucial win on the road at Cincinatti. It really makes the most sense. I don't mind conceding the one seed. It was always at least a 50/50 chance the Chiefs would obtain it these last two weeks anyway. 

My real preference would be to not even play the Pats game and just steam roll the #6 or #7 seed at home with fresh players who have their mind in the right place.

They could just do what people are suggesting and make it a complete wash.  Cincinnati can still be the 2 seed if they win and Buffalo loses.  Buffalo can still be the 1 seed if they win and KC loses.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Without playing the game BOTH teams are going to have to play in the wildcard round. There’s zero chance the league is gifting the Bills the #1 seed. 

That isn't true.  If Kansas City loses to the Raiders, and the Bills beat the Patriots, the Buffalo Bills will have finished the year 13-3 and Kansas City would finish 13-4.  Buffalo not only would have the H2H tie breaker, but also the better win %

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

That isn't true.  If Kansas City loses to the Raiders, and the Bills beat the Patriots, the Buffalo Bills will have finished the year 13-3 and Kansas City would finish 13-4.  Buffalo not only would have the H2H tie breaker, but also the better win %

First, the Chiefs are not losing to the Raiders. But even if they did, then the Bills and Bengals could still choose to forfeit Week 19. What’s the problem? 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct…which is exactly how it was for the Bills and the Giants…and nobody cared. It was one of the NFLs iconic games.

The logistics in 1990 is COMPLETELY different than the logistics in 2023.  We are talking 33 years ago.  A lot has changed since then.  It would be a logistical nightmare for the NFL to do this.  Quite frankly, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for the NFL.  That's why I think they will just "No Contest" this game.  Buffalo will currently be the 2 seed.  

As for the asterisk comment, if anything, the Chiefs would be the only ones getting the asterisk.  They lost to both Buffalo and Cincy and would have essentially got the 1 seed based on a tragedy.

1 minute ago, BillyBilliams said:

Right now if they do a no contest the H2H wins for the bills and bengals have zero value bc of the uneven games which is unfair it should mean something 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.