Ohio State vs Georgia - CFP thread

Simon

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, both Big Ten teams were heavily out coached . 

Have to disagree with you on OSU.  I thought Day called a great game against a loaded and always dangerous Georgia team.  Stroud's lack of blitz recognition and being too content to kick from around the 30 were what killed them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GaryPinC said:

Have to disagree with you on OSU.  I thought Day called a great game against a loaded and always dangerous Georgia team.  Stroud's lack of blitz recognition and being too content to kick from around the 30 were what killed them.

Yes, it's too harsh on Day. Dawgs brought their C game on defense, but part of that was OSU had them flummoxed for much of the game.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

True, I’m probably being a little harsh on Ohio State coaching. I think the final series left a bad taste. The last two calls before the field goal weren’t good imo, but I suppose the overall game plan was good to hang with Georgia.  

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, it's too harsh on Day. Dawgs brought their C game on defense, but part of that was OSU had them flummoxed for much of the game.

Fair, I agree the Dawgs brought their C game on defense, and it took Stroud having the game of his life to hang with them. I shouldn’t completely dismiss coaching because those two factors. I think the emotional element clouds my analysis with Big Ten football. I’m just tired of Big Ten teams inability to beat the big boys in the playoffs, with the exception of the OSU champions in 2014. OSU at least showed up to play last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Fair, I agree the Dawgs brought their C game on defense, and it took Stroud having the game of his life to hang with them. I shouldn’t completely dismiss coaching because those two factors. I think the emotional element clouds my analysis with Big Ten football. I’m just tired of Big Ten teams inability to beat the big boys in the playoffs, with the exception of the OSU champions in 2014. OSU at least showed up to play last night. 

I live near Athens. You may conclude my own sympathies . . . and if you look at the early recruiting results, Bama and UGA were #1 and #2 on five star recruits. I think Alabama got 22, Georgia 19. I can't remember how many OSU got, but Michigan I believe had 5. There's just a tremendous imbalance there, so it's an uphill battle for the non SEC Conferences. The transfer portal has balanced things out a bit, but it doesn't obviate the recruiting advantage: college football is king in the South.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don't agree that Georgia brought their C game on defense, OSU was just that good.  Kirby Smart even said post-game OSU probably should have won.  Day was masterful at keeping them off-balance.  

OSU was equal to UGA last night, just unlucky.  Michigan's performance (poor coaching and preparation) were more typical of why the Big10 under-performs and is disrespected.

If Day moves forward coaching like this, I don't think Michigan wins 2 years in a row anymore.  Harbaugh's coaching is not adaptable enough and lacks depth.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That looked like the same UGA defense that got beat against Bama in the SEC championship game last year. They weren’t able to get pressure for most of the game from their Dline. 
OSU looked very prepared and focused. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

What's the difference between him and Fields ? 

Fields is a great runner. Stroud literally does not run. Last night was like the 2nd time he tucked and ran all season. They are totally different QBs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

What's the difference between him and Fields ? 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields is a great runner. Stroud literally does not run. Last night was like the 2nd time he tucked and ran all season. They are totally different QBs. 

Fields is JT Barrett

Stroud is Dwayne Haskins.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I live near Athens. You may conclude my own sympathies . . . and if you look at the early recruiting results, Bama and UGA were #1 and #2 on five star recruits. I think Alabama got 22, Georgia 19. I can't remember how many OSU got, but Michigan I believe had 5. There's just a tremendous imbalance there, so it's an uphill battle for the non SEC Conferences. The transfer portal has balanced things out a bit, but it doesn't obviate the recruiting advantage: college football is king in the South.

Good post, college ball has definitely been king in the South for many years, but their complete domination of the sport seems more recent. I’d love to be down south on a fall Saturday. It looks like a great time, and being an SEC fan would be a blast. I just long for the days of competitive conferences across the country. The narrative is no longer interesting, the SEC is clearly the best, and has nothing more to prove. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Georgia was the best team all year.  OSU had them down then they choked away the game after the half.

StetsonIV is clutch.  

One dirty hit won it for UGA plain and simple. Had what happened to Marvin happened to Stefon you'd scream bloody murder.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Now they should play against each-other in the “all state, choke artist- you blew it bowl” Michigan just stepping all over themselves from start to finish against an inferior team and Ohio state squandering an inexcusable late multi score lead. Just absolutely horrendous coaching from Harbaugh all day and Ohio state should be ashamed of letting that one slip.

That’s what I thought. From 930 w a 4 and 6? Down two 13 / 2 scores. Harbaugh punted. Cost them 3.5 minutes off the clock. Then on their td drive. Lost another 1.5 mins w just mind numbing clock running / no hussle. 

• Simon unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Now they should play against each-other in the “all state, choke artist- you blew it bowl” Michigan just stepping all over themselves from start to finish against an inferior team and Ohio state squandering an inexcusable late multi score lead. Just absolutely horrendous coaching from Harbaugh all day and Ohio state should be ashamed of letting that one slip.

Agree, I softened my stance on Ohio State coaching after some posters pointed things out, but Harbaugh was horrendous. It seems like much of Big Ten fandom have resigned themselves to being fans of an inferior conference. I’m hearing a lot of “they’re the best” sentiments when referring to Georgia. It’s almost has if beating another power five conference team is unexpected. Georgia is the better team, but it doesn’t mean Ohio State didn’t fold. Michigan was just straight up pathetic. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Great college quarterback

I don’t think he will be a franchise guy in the NFL

Yes, he’s an amazing college QB, but his weaknesses are the type of things that make pro QB’s fail. There’s an NFL GM somewhere who will overlook that and pay the price. The first play that comes to mind is the hospital ball that knocked Harrison out of the game. OSU might have won without that play. The QB needs to throw that ball out of bounds, not loft a

balloon into the back of the end zone. It all works out in college, but I’m not sure if his decision making will work in the pros. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.