Bills version of Butt Fumble

corta765

The ringer had a good piece on how the butt fumble has represented the Jets struggles and problems as a franchise for the last decade. Here is the link for a laugh:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/11/22/23471718/new-york-jets-butt-fumble-10-year-anniversary-mark-sanchez

It got me thinking what would've been the Bills version for at least the drought era. My top 3:

1. Stevie TD drop 2010 - literally dropped a GW TD pass and proceeded to blame god

2. McKelvin fumble in 09 MNF opener

3. Losman fumble TD in NY 2008

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The ringer had a good piece on how the butt fumble has represented the Jets struggles and problems as a franchise for the last decade. Here is the link for a laugh:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/11/22/23471718/new-york-jets-butt-fumble-10-year-anniversary-mark-sanchez

It got me thinking what would've been the Bills version for at least the drought era. My top 3:

1. Stevie TD drop 2010 - literally dropped a GW TD pass and proceeded to blame god

Allen's fumbled sneak against the Vikings to give them the lead with 44 seconds left?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

McKelvin fumble was our butt fumble.    To beat the dreaded Brady Patriots on MNF to break their winning string versus us. The Clincher was there was no real reason for that to ever happen, game was effectively won.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen's fumbled sneak against the Vikings to give them the lead with 44 seconds left?

Not part of the drought era though.

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

McKelvin fumble was our butt fumble.    To beat the dreaded Brady Patriots on MNF to break their winning string versus us. The Clincher was there was no real reason for that to ever happen, game was effectively won.

Not part of the drought era though.

Maybe Tuel's 101 yard INT against the 8-0 Chiefs as we were about to take a 17-3 lead coming out of halftime in a game where the Chiefs were doing next to nothing on offense?

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/jeff-tuel-threw-a-101-yard-pick-six-against-the-chiefs-01dxehy4fbqj

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, corta765 said:

If we're looking at this purely from a struggle/problem standpoint I agree with your ratings, but to me one of the defining characteristics of the butt fumble is the humor of it. 

If we're looking at humor I would move Losman fumble to #1. The play is straight chaos and is hilarious to watch (unless you're a Bills fan). The way Losman tries to throw the ball looks funny, then the ball starts bouncing like crazy (multiple attempts to corral it fail). A ref gets completely trucked. Then the Jets guy dives into the end zone.

Bonus points for Jason "hall of fame" Peters with the 100% whiff on the block leading to the whole thing. 

• Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Although we won the game, Tyrod lining up behind the guard in shotgun was one of the finer moments of what was the Tuhrod Shitshow that we had forced down our throats for years.

I loved it - everyone called him out as trash.  I loved reminding people... we did get the first down after that play when tyrod picked up 22 on 3rd and 19 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I loved it - everyone called him out as trash.  I loved reminding people... we did get the first down after that play when tyrod picked up 22 on 3rd and 19 🙂

He was trash as soon as he arrived in Buffalo.

• Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe Tuel's 101 yard INT against the 8-0 Chiefs as we were about to take a 17-3 lead coming out of halftime in a game where the Chiefs were doing next to nothing on offense?

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/jeff-tuel-threw-a-101-yard-pick-six-against-the-chiefs-01dxehy4fbqj

That is a really good one

4 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Leaving a KO sitting in the endzone for the Jets to recover for a TD stands out. 2016 season in NJ I think.

I always thought if you didn't touch it it was a dead ball in the end zone.  It definitely is now - but maybe that was a rule change. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I always thought if you didn't touch it it was a dead ball in the end zone.  It definitely is now - but maybe that was a rule change. 

I believe that was a rule change...I distinctly remember a game where the Bills recovered the ball for a TD on a similar play and it was ruled not a TD after the fourth official overturned the call in a way that I wasn't even sure was legal. Basically they ruled that the rule shouldn't be followed because it wasn't the "intent" of the rule even though if you just went by the "letter of the rule" it was clearly a Bills TD.

It was honestly kind of stunning really. The NFL basically just made up the rule as they went along in that situation. Want to say the rule was changed prior to the following season.

I want to say it was in the playoffs also...maybe the Houston playoff game?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It landed at about the 15 and slowly bounced into the EZ. I'm curious how it would be ruled now. 

Tasker on the call too...greatest special teamed of all time must have been absolutely beside himself after seeing that from the Bills 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.