Bills version of Butt Fumble

corta765

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Tasker on the call too...greatest special teamed of all time must have been absolutely beside himself after seeing that from the Bills 

ARTICLE 5. FREE KICK CROSSES GOAL LINE

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

is not touched by the receiving team, and the ball touches the ground in the end zone.

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Peterman

Yep. Not one play that symbolized a franchise hitting bottom, but one half of a game.

If only Vontae Davis had quit in the middle of a defensive series (walking out the tunnel never to return) we would have one of the all-time low points. But if there’s no video it’s like it never even happened. 

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

is not touched by the receiving team, and the ball touches the ground in the end zone.

That should not have been a TD, unless a Bills player touched it.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. Not one play that symbolized a franchise hitting bottom, but one half of a game.

If only Vontae Davis had quit in the middle of a defensive series (walking out the tunnel never to return) we would have one of the all-time low points. But if there’s no video it’s like it never even happened. 

But the Peterman half was the year that the drought ended.

3 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Someone help me with the details here but I think it was Losman who on his last play as a Bill, which was something like 4th and 18, ran out of bounds after a short gain rather than get tackled.  That was our butt fumble in my foggy recollection.

That was Trent Edwards.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeviF said:

Leaving a KO sitting in the endzone for the Jets to recover for a TD stands out. 2016 season in NJ I think.

TD Mike Gillislee was the one just staring at the football.  They changed the rule so that now a KO is automatically a touchback if it's in the EZ and not touched by the receiving team.  Another let's screw Buffalo first, then change the rule.

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They changed the rule after that play.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Enough sneaks unless it's at midfield.  Nothing good over the last 2 years have come from Josh & qb sneaks.

The Bills 4th and 1 against Dallas on Thanksgiving says hi.

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

To me it was a game when EJ Manuel had several turn-overs, including one that he through right to a JJ Watt, around the Texans 20 yard line, for an 80 yard pick six. I just remember hanging my head and thinking we looked like laughing stocks.  

We were laughing stocks

Honest question, what the hell is a laughing stock and how did that become a phrase????

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We were laughing stocks

Honest question, what the hell is a laughing stock and how did that become a phrase????

Funny, every now and then, I catch myself using a phrase that I know the "meaning of", but not the origin. I believe laughing stock dates back to when people used to be put in "stocks" as a punishment, and then they were publicly ridiculed. The phrase dates back to Shakespeare days, I believe.  

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I believe that was a rule change...I distinctly remember a game where the Bills recovered the ball for a TD on a similar play and it was ruled not a TD after the fourth official overturned the call in a way that I wasn't even sure was legal. Basically they ruled that the rule shouldn't be followed because it wasn't the "intent" of the rule even though if you just went by the "letter of the rule" it was clearly a Bills TD.

It was honestly kind of stunning really. The NFL basically just made up the rule as they went along in that situation. Want to say the rule was changed prior to the following season.

I want to say it was in the playoffs also...maybe the Houston playoff game?

It absolutely was.  We win the game if that was called correctly.

Then of course they hurried to change the rule just as fast as they could.

It reminded me of the '99 Cup Final.... not just the no goal, but the play where Brian Skrudland headbutted one of our players right in front of a ref.... at the time (perhaps even now) it was an automatic one-game suspension.  Of course the league ignored it.

24 minutes ago, transient said:

Don't torture yourselves by going to YouTube and watching... it's the Kyle Orton wussy slide.

Man made a business decision.  That's where he really announced his retirement.

10 minutes ago, BRH said:

It absolutely was.  We win the game if that was called correctly.

Then of course they hurried to change the rule just as fast as they could.

It reminded me of the '99 Cup Final.... not just the no goal, but the play where Brian Skrudland headbutted one of our players right in front of a ref.... at the time (perhaps even now) it was an automatic one-game suspension.  Of course the league ignored it.

Man made a business decision.  That's where he really announced his retirement.

I guess it wasn't the exact same thing...basically the guy caught the ball in the endzone and just flipped it to the ref without actually downing it, which made it a fumble.

Edited by Big Turk

I think I've got it.

In 2003 the Bills were 9-6 and just needed to beat the Steelers 2nd string players to clinch playoffs.

Bills were winning 17-16 midway through the 3rd quarter.

The Bills drove down to the 1 yard line, didn't have the balls to go for it on 4th down, and Rian Lindell missed a 28 yard field goal.

The Steelers broke a 58 yard run the next play and never gave up the lead again, as Drew Bledsoe stood in the pocket and got destroyed by backup D-linemen and Linebackers the rest of the game.

That cowardly field goal and ensuing miss perfectly encapsulates a 20-year drought.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.