This season it really is just Allen and Diggs

78thealltimegreat

Steff has 60 catches and 857 yards

Davis, Knox, and Mackenzie have 58 catches for 816 yards.

Even though Josh does dump it off to motor occasionally.

It does show he really has no pure receiver option opposite Diggs that he seems to trust. 

OBJ may no longer be a luxury like some have said he may in fact be a necessity as we just have no viable no 2 option. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It does show he really has no pure receiver option opposite Diggs that he seems to trust. 

So you think Josh is running around trying to avoid being sacked, sees one of those receiver options open, and then says to himself: "I'm not going to throw the ball to that guy, I just don't trust him."

LOL.  That's not how football works.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Why do you say this? Explain.

I do think that there is an obvious question to be asked of why this offense looks so out of sorts.  

Lots of the same pieces on offense as the team that finished the season last year on fire. 

Then again, this is a yearly issue around this time of year.  

Just now, Nextmanup said:

So you think Josh is running around trying to avoid being sacked, sees one of those receiver options open, and then says to himself: "I'm not going to throw the ball to that guy, I just don't trust him."

Davis 2 catches 23 yards says it does 

Or maybe people can believe the players and coaches when every year prior to the season they repeatedly remind us that every year is in new team with additions and subtractions and last year means absolutely Jack sh*t.

This isn’t last year’s team and they sit atop the conference after 9 weeks with some new problems to work through and see if they can’t bring that 1st round bye home.

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do think that there is an obvious question to be asked of why this offense looks so out of sorts.  

Lots of the same pieces on offense as the team that finished the season last year on fire. 

We are averaging less than 1 point less per game than last year.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We are averaging less than 1 point less per game than last year.

Big part of being an OC is counter punching when teams key in on what you like to do.  

Im not saying this is on Dorsey.  I’m also not saying it isn’t.  He’s a big part of the Offense and it’s worth exploring if this continues. 

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sure, but I was genuinely curious as to why the poster landed on Dorsey being the issue.

Watch the All 22 when it comes out and you will see the Jets played elite defense in the secondary, including, and perhaps especially, their LBs.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that we play them again and I think adjustments can be made. 

11 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Sure, but I was genuinely curious as to why the poster landed on Dorsey being the issue.

This is Dorsey's chance to show he can counter punch because for the last 6 qtrs. he has been found out. 

good defenses or not- if our team is so great we should be scoring on everyone (yes, josh has been off but runs some plays to make it easy for him)

This offense isn't working because there's absolutely no commitment to running the ball. This offense is way too dependent on Josh Allen being damn near perfect every game. Last season from the second half of the TB game through the playoffs, this team began running the ball and the whole offense opened right up and was pretty unstoppable. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Santana said:

This offense isn't working because there's absolutely no commitment to running the ball. This offense is way too dependent on Josh Allen being damn near perfect every game. Last season from the second half of the TB game through the playoffs, this team began running the ball and the whole offense opened right up and was pretty unstoppable. 

Exactly.  I thought the lack of a running game the last few seasons was on Daboll but look what he is doing in NY with a run game...and nothing has changed in Buffalo under Dorsey.  

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

The offense has been at or near the top of the NFL in scoring all season. They had 1 bad game where the QB played like crap. Yeah, Dorsey had some questionable calls yesterday for sure. But outside of that I think he’s been pretty stellar especially considering it’s his first year ever calling plays.

Look how much Daboll grew over the years.

32 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

This is Dorsey's chance to show he can counter punch because for the last 6 qtrs. he has been found out. 

good defenses or not- if our team is so great we should be scoring on everyone (yes, josh has been off but runs some plays to make it easy for him)

This past game there were easy outlets. Josh didn't take them. Instead he pushed the ball downfield. Josh has been the issue the last 6 quarters.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The offense has been at or near the top of the NFL in scoring all season. They had 1 bad game where the QB played like crap. Yeah, Dorsey had some questionable calls yesterday for sure. But outside of that I think he’s been pretty stellar especially considering it’s his first year ever calling plays.

Look how much Daboll grew over the years.

last game wasn't great either

I find it interesting that there is barely any mention of our offensive line in all this. It was basically destroyed by the Jets. They were in our backfield all day. O line also had a key holding penalty late in the game and allowed the second QB strip. We are lucky that Allen wasn't hurt badly on that play. On the other side, our pass rush was just okay, and run defense was not good. We needed to have the defensive line play better to offset all the injuries in the back.

As others have said, our offense is too Josh-centric.  And as the OP accurately notes, it's the Josh-Diggs connection that drives this offense.

Games like yesterday's shows that if Josh has a bad game, we have trouble moving the ball because we have no run game - outside of Josh himself.  

It's too early for me to jump to conclusions, but I think it's fair to question Dorsey despite our statistical rankings.  But let's keep perspective and remember he's a rookie OC who's still learning.

I also think it's fair to question Beane.  Of course, Beane took over a crap team and turned into a competitor and deserves massive praise.  But his building process has been imperfect.  He's neglected the OL.  It's not a great unit.   It struggles to protect Josh in certain games and pretty consistently struggles to open holes for our backs.   

You would think that Beane would want better bodyguards for our most valuable player.  

And you would think, we'd want a better run game.  If Josh is off (or, Gridiron Gods forbid, hurt), where do we turn?  Our OL isn't great at run blocking and we lack elite backs.  NFL coaches talk about being "multiple."  There's noting multiple about our offense.  It's an Allen-to-Diggs game.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Exactly.  I thought the lack of a running game the last few seasons was on Daboll but look what he is doing in NY with a run game...and nothing has changed in Buffalo under Dorsey.  

I was literally thinking the exact same thing last night haha. It's funny because during the first couple of drives they were running pretty well. They had a nice rhythm running the ball.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Davis 2 catches 23 yards says it does 

Nonsense. 

Davis 2 catches 23 yards says several things. None of them that. 

It's data from one game. It says things about that game.

Allen had a really bad game. And Davis wasn't great either.  Davis doesn't look like himself yet either. The offense isn't working well. Allen was responsible for a lot of that this game.

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

To use am example called out this weekend

when Josh scrambles and diggs finds space horizontally and Knox goes vertical - there’s a reason ones getting those targets. Diggs has been creating good and predictable windows 

im not sure what he’s going to do and he’s creating a harder throw would absolutely get a guy looked off 

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Steff has 60 catches and 857 yards

Davis, Knox, and Mackenzie have 58 catches for 816 yards.

Even though Josh does dump it off to motor occasionally.

OBJ may no longer be a luxury like some have said he may in fact be a necessity as we just have no viable no 2 option. 

Allen has thrown for 2403 yards. 

He's thrown 34% of his yards to Diggs. That's lower than you find with most of the better WRs in the league. 

Hurts has thrown 35% of his yards to one guy, and they are 8-0. Stafford threw 39.8% of his to Kupp last year and they won a Super Bowl.

Yes this was a bad game. No, this isn't anything horrible over the course of a season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

He's thrown 34% of his yards to Diggs. That's lower than you find with most of the better WRs in the league. 

Hurts has thrown 35% of his yards to one guy, and they are 8-0. Stafford threw 39.8% of his to Kupp last year and they won a Super Bowl.

Yes this was a bad game. No, this isn't anything horrible over the course of a season.

The key is that, at the moment, Diggs is Allen's only solid targeting option.

Davis has not done enough and McKenzie is terrible.

We definitely need better receiver options; hopefully this fixed soon with Odell.

He said he is medically cleared to play!  Sign him up.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

The key is that, at the moment, Diggs is Allen's only solid targeting option.

Davis has not done enough and McKenzie is terrible.

We definitely need better receiver options; hopefully this fixed soon with Odell.

He said he is medically cleared to play!  Sign him up.

"Only solid targeting option?" Simply not true. Only spectacular targeting option? Now that's more reasonable. But very few teams have two spectacular targeting options.

Teams that only have one targeting option don't end up with QBs 4th in receiving yards. There are very very few teams with two genuine #1 WRs. There aren't many to go around. Most teams don't even have one. 

Again, this is simply what you find when a team has a great WR. They get a large percentage of their QB's yards. QBs tend to lean on really good WRs, because they're really good. It's how things work.

We don't need better receiver options. We have an excellent shot at a championship still, though not if Allen plays as badly as he did today. Same for the whole offense, really. But they generally haven't played this badly.

This doesn't need to be fixed. And Odell wouldn't "fix" it. He might improve things a bit, though. I'm certainly not against it, but it's not a need. It would be a luxury. It'll depend on his health and the money he wants.

Davis isn't quite converting as many of his targets to catches as he usually does, though. My guess is he's still a bit gimpy. We'll see. 

The offense does need to play better, though, than they did today.

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They brought up Allen’s passing chart yesterday he did not have a single

completion between the hash marks that’s amazing. He clearly has zero trust in his non Diggs receivers to work the middle of the field. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.