Aaron Rodgers … Leadership for Dummies

CorkScrewHill

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

To be clear- I was responding to someone who said Rodgers had been playing 'sub replacement level' football. I don't particularly care about how he sleeps at night.

To be clear - you were responding to me.  I said:

"I guess he can soothe himself with those stats as he falls asleep at night.

What can he do that's more?"

Your response is "with an oline in flux and the receivers he's working with?  Not much IMO"

That appears to be Rodger's conclusion as well. Thus my comment that you and he appear to be in harmony.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

To be clear - you were responding to me.  I said:

"I guess he can soothe himself with those stats as he falls asleep at night.

What can he do that's more?"

Your response is "with an oline in flux and the receivers he's working with?  Not much IMO"

That appears to be Rodger's conclusion as well

lmfao ok. Good synopsis.

44 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The tool Brady is of that school as well, because constantly yelling at your O linemen is ever so motivating…, 

Yes, Brady yelled at his offensive linemen last week, but I think that he's historically been a pretty good team player and I think that he's a guy that is willing to take the blame on himself.  I'm not providing any hard evidence - it's just an opinion from watching a lot of football over the years.  Also, guys were lining up to sign with Tampa when Brady went down there so they could play with Brady and potentially win a Super Bowl.  It worked out pretty well for them.  His 7 Super Bowl titles and tremendous team success also speaks to him being a great leader, love him or hate him.  I also think that Brady, on mulitiple occasions, took less than his market value in salary so that the team would have money to sign other players.

Rodgers, on the other hand, as this thread points out, is a total douche and despite his tremendous talent, has not achieved the same level of team success that Brady has.

Off the top of my head, Brady has played in 10 Super Bowls and won 7 and Rodgers has only made it to the Super Bowl once (winning it), despite getting close many times.

Edited by msw2112

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Nothing wrong with what Rodgers said. Direct-speak can be an effective leadership style and a champion and back-to-back reigning MVP has earned the right to take that approach.    

I know it's in vogue to criticize A A Ron, but I think what he said here is fine. 

Constructive criticism can be a good thing. Do you want all your leaders to blow smoke up your ass and tell you that you're doing a great job when you're clearly not?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Nothing wrong with what Rodgers said. Direct-speak can be an effective leadership style and a champion and back-to-back reigning MVP has earned the right to take that approach.    

But you can’t tell the truth these days.  You have to cater to weak minded pansies who get offended about everything.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I know it's in vogue to criticize A A Ron, but I think what he said here is fine. 

Constructive criticism can be a good thing. Do you want all your leaders to blow smoke up your ass and tell you that you're doing a great job when you're clearly not?

There's a lot of real estate between constructive criticism in private, and finger-pointing on the Pat McAfee show. 

There's also a difference between using "we made a lot of mistakes" in a way that clearly indicates "starts with me, *I* need to look in the mirror and see what else *I* can contribute or whether *I* can do something different, now what can *you* do?" vs using "we made a lot of mistakes" in a context that clearly means "those other guys made a lot of mistakes and maybe they shouldn't be playing"

IMHO, when you take the window dressing off, that amounts to throwing your teammates under the bus in public and it's not pretty

Now it's possible that there is absolutely no aspect of his play that Aaron Rodgers could possibly look at and improve, but I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

But you can’t tell the truth these days.  You have to cater to weak minded pansies who get offended about everything.  

When you're part of a team particularly a leadership position you should care about how what you say effects the other members and how that in turn effects the team as a whole.

20 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Yes, Brady yelled at his offensive linemen last week, but I think that he's historically been a pretty good team player and I think that he's a guy that is willing to take the blame on himself.  I'm not providing any hard evidence - it's just an opinion from watching a lot of football over the years.  Also, guys were lining up to sign with Tampa when Brady went down there so they could play with Brady and potentially win a Super Bowl.  It worked out pretty well for them.  His 7 Super Bowl titles and tremendous team success also speaks to him being a great leader, love him or hate him.  I also think that Brady, on mulitiple occasions, took less than his market value in salary so that the team would have money to sign other players.

Rodgers, on the other hand, as this thread points out, is a total douche and despite his tremendous talent, has not achieved the same level of team success that Brady has.

Off the top of my head, Brady has played in 10 Super Bowls and won 7 and Rodgers has only made it to the Super Bowl once (winning it), despite getting close many times.

Every single time Brady has a bad game he acts like a child, it can not be argued otherwise.  Now that he has those games more frequently, he through his tantrums deconstructs the most key relationship a QB has, and that is with his O-line, (and his wife 😂) No QB of quality throws his teammates under the bus with the frequency that Brady has been doing it in the past few seasons, Tom’s is and always has been a little b. Rodgers us going down the same road as of late, poor leadership in both cases. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There's a lot of real estate between constructive criticism in private, and finger-pointing on the Pat McAfee show. 

There's also a difference between using "we made a lot of mistakes" in a way that clearly indicates "starts with me, *I* need to look in the mirror and see what else *I* can contribute or whether *I* can do something different, now what can *you* do?" vs using "we made a lot of mistakes" in a context that clearly means "those other guys made a lot of mistakes and maybe they shouldn't be playing"

IMHO, when you take the window dressing off, that amounts to throwing your teammates under the bus in public and it's not pretty

Now it's possible that there is absolutely no aspect of his play that Aaron Rodgers could possibly look at and improve, but I doubt it.

Is it really finger pointing when you don't name a position group, let alone an individual player? 

Every part of his statement is about "we". Not "they" and not any individuals. Maybe he should've said something about "and it starts with *me*" or "*I* need to play better". Personally I find those empty platitudes to be boring and cliche. 

"We had so many mental errors and mistakes," Rodgers said Tuesday. "It's not the kind of football we're used to playing over the years. There have definitely been seasons where we average four or five, six, maybe seven at the most, kind of mental errors or missed assignments per week. Some weeks you have like four, two sometimes. This season there's a lot more of that every single week. It's double digits every single week. Even on the game, we had like 50 plays or something -- there wasn't a ton of plays, they had 37 minutes time of possession -- a lot of mistakes."

Rodgers said on Tuesday it's on the players, not coaches, to take ownership of the team's struggles.

"I think when the players really take over, then you're going to see the possibility of us making a run," he said. "I'm not talking about the players usurping power from coaches. I'm talking about we take over. We take ownership of what we're putting on the field. Now, some of that might be in the plan. Some of that might be, hey, 'I really want to do this,' offense, defense, (special) teams, whatever it might be. But the other part is taking ownership of your daily habits and your routines. Just cause we're a young team, we just can't write that off as, 'Oh, we're figuring it out. The rookies are figuring this thing out. Are they gonna go through that rookie wall?' And blah, blah, blah. ...

"We need everybody on the same page to make the plays that are possible. We need them Monday to Saturday to put in the time to be ready to play Sunday. Because there's too many times in the game where there's simple, simple things just are not being accomplished."

"Guys who are making too many mistakes shouldn't be playing, you know. Gotta start cutting some reps, and maybe guys who aren't playing, give them a chance," he said.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

lmfao ok. Good synopsis.

Some good, some bad discussed here. 

Bottom line: Chris is not in sync with you, and thinks Aaron has room to improve.

"Settle your ***** feet and throw the ball!"

Dobbs drop on 3rd down:

"Protection was perfect..why did we not let  Sammy Watkins have a chance to make a play down the field?  He's wide open. OK, Dobbs is open...and then you throw the ball low and then yell at the sideline and LaFleur "what the ***** are we doing?" I don't know, what the ***** are you doing?"

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

312901752_850548699646154_61126566657831

TIL what "boofing" is.  Never say TBD isn't educational.

PS 🤣

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Is it really finger pointing when you don't name a position group, let alone an individual player?

Yes, I think it is.  You aren't finger pointing at a particular player, true. 

But do you really think Rodgers is including himself with those players who are making mistakes and shouldn't be playing?  I don't.  He's pointing at his OL and his skill players.  He made that pretty clear later on in the interview.

YMMV

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He learned from his mentor Brett Favre.

Favre was a WAY better leader. That may not be saying a lot because he had his own hang ups near the end, but Favre at least inspired dudes with his play. 

Rodgers is a negative. He brings his teammates down. 

I can’t remember the LAST TIME a QB went on the media the day or two after a disappointing loss and pointed out that his game grade was “good.” Like that’s just so bizarre.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.