Cover 1 Longish Video - Bills DT's - Secret Superstars on the defense

Big Turk

You can see the effectiveness of the DTs in the LB play. Milano has taken yet another step up, and Edmunds is making a lot more tackles near the line of scrimmage. We've probably already seen more run plays where we have an unblocked LB this year than we did all of last year.

• Agree 3

I found the contrast between Bills D/Chiefs and 49ers D/Chiefs to be interesting.  The Bills were able to harass Mahomes throughout the game but particularly on the last interception.  Late in the49ers game, the commentator mentioned that Mahomes had not been touched.  Yes, they did finally get a sack and yes they had a lot of injuries (but so have we).  In recent weeks the talk has been about two of the great defenses being 9ers and Bills...but the Bills D looked MUCH more impressive against Chiefs, particularly the D line.  Bills have mainly played good QBs and teams.  It will be interesting to see what happens when they get to play some struggling D's and quarterbacks.  It really could be scary.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Dumb questions like this deserve a Mack Truck’s  worth of Santa’s coal dumped in your living room this year.

SMH…maybe one of the best safeties ever…and this where you qo?

…SMH

Daquan Jones has been playing like a monster, I remember after the chiefs game that of all DTs he was getting double teamed the most, and still had a top 5 pass rush win rate among DTs. Along with that, our run defense has improved to being currently the best in the league. That is indicative of good line play.

21 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I found the contrast between Bills D/Chiefs and 49ers D/Chiefs to be interesting.  The Bills were able to harass Mahomes throughout the game but particularly on the last interception.  Late in the49ers game, the commentator mentioned that Mahomes had not been touched.  Yes, they did finally get a sack and yes they had a lot of injuries (but so have we).  In recent weeks the talk has been about two of the great defenses being 9ers and Bills...but the Bills D looked MUCH more impressive against Chiefs, particularly the D line.  Bills have mainly played good QBs and teams.  It will be interesting to see what happens when they get to play some struggling D's and quarterbacks.  It really could be scary.

Well...one thing that we had a big advantage in is familiarity.  The Bills have played the Chiefs 5 times in under 2.5 years.  That means a LOT in terms to understanding what will work well and won't work well against them.  There isn't much they can do we don't know about.  49ers play them once every 4 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Did not mind the long video at all.

There were a lot of things Frazier had to do to cover up our deficiencies in the middle of our defensive front last few years.

He can be so much more creative without having to gamble and disguise coverages because our DTs are bringing that hard nose work ethic and winning their battles up front.

They are powerful dudes with leverage and skills too - that helps.

It has that trickle down effect with DEs getting home, and our linebackers being effective and pressures.

Edmunds, who has never been great getting off blocks can play down hill, and Milano who would try to take on OL blockers to fill gaps and was getting injured, now can shoot those gaps cleanly and stop plays in the backfield.

Kudos to our big boys up front on the "D".

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Jones is a "secret" to most people here, but what I did find interesting was how well Big Phil is playing against the run.  We certainly know him for his pass rush, but I was impressed by his run defense in that clip.  The other thing that I liked was finally getting some film on Settle.  His injuries have limited him a bit, and I've wondered how effective he's been, so it was also good to see some analysis of his play.

Thanks for posting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I'd love to thump my chest about the superiority of the Bills DL, but the fact is the 49ers were playing with half their starting front 4 (Bosa and Ebukam) limited all week and presumably not full go - and with their anchor in the middle, Armstead, out. 

I don't even want to detail what that would be equivalent to for the Bills, but we were fortunate to face Mahomes at near 100% for our "current starters" defensively.

So comparing us to SF is a bit apples-to-oranges there.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Daquan Jones has been playing like a monster, I remember after the chiefs game that of all DTs he was getting double teamed the most, and still had a top 5 pass rush win rate among DTs. Along with that, our run defense has improved to being currently the best in the league. That is indicative of good line play.

You may or may not have a point, but Mycah Hyde is just the shizznet

2 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I mean, how do you compare a truly talented safety to a (very good) DT.   Apples and oranges.

Last season this team had an under achieving Star, Vernon Butler who stunk outright and Harrison Phillips who was solid and Ed Oliver who has flashed here and there but been at least a solid starter.

This year they replace Star, Butler and H Phillips with D Jones, Settle and J Phillips. That’s a massive upgrade of overall talent at a critical defensive position group. Those additions along with Von and Shaq have turned a Dline that was above average to an elite unit arguably the best in the NFL.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

You may or may not have a point, but Mycah Hyde is just the shizznet

I mean, how do you compare a truly talented safety to a (very good) DT.   Apples and oranges.

A high quality DT can make your safety look a lot better than they are(not referring to Hyde specifically, but in general).  A high quality safety cannot make your DT look better than they are.  In general, your secondary is not going to be able to hold up on a regular basis no matter how good they are if you have no pass rush and the QB can just sit back there forever and force them to try and cover for 5,6 or 7 seconds.  Conversely, a DT can force a ball out in 2 seconds before they are ready to throw it if they can get quick penetration which gives the safeties an opportunity to pick the ball or make a play on it. Not sure how this is even a discussion really.

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Here is Cover 1 talking to DaQuan about what he is doing and how he is doing it...another great video with input from Daquan as to what he is seeing on certain looks and plays.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

A high quality DT can make your safety look a lot better than they are(not referring to Hyde specifically, but in general).  A high quality safety cannot make your DT look better than they are.  In general, your secondary is not going to be able to hold up on a regular basis no matter how good they are if you have no pass rush and the QB can just sit back there forever and force them to try and cover for 5,6 or 7 seconds.  Conversely, a DT can force a ball out in 2 seconds before they are ready to throw it if they can get quick penetration which gives the safeties an opportunity to pick the ball or make a play on it. Not sure how this is even a discussion really.

Here is Cover 1 talking to DaQuan about what he is doing and how he is doing it...another great video with input from Daquan as to what he is seeing on certain looks and plays.

One can argue that the inverse could be true, don't you think?

(T Polamalu, Ronnie Lott, Rodney Harrison...)

Just let it go already, ok?  Can't you just let me be a Mycah Hyde fanboy and go away? 

And, I would like to submit, that your line of reasoning about Hyde is total BS.  Or do you not remember the greatest INT in NFL history on that last, frigid game against the Patsies?

ENough alreaedy

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

4 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

One can argue that the inverse could be true, don't you think?

(T Polamalu, Ronnie Lott, Rodney Harrison...)

Just let it go already, ok?  Can't you just let me be a Mycah Hyde fanboy and go away? 

And, I would like to submit, that your line of reasoning about Hyde is total BS.  Or do you not remember the greatest INT in NFL history on that last, frigid game against the Patsies?

ENough alreaedy

In what way?  Are they forcing the ball out quicker or forcing bad throws?  

Let what go?  You can be...he is a great player, I am not suggesting otherwise.  I'm simply saying if I had to make a choice between a great safety and a great DT I am taking a great DT every time.  

It this some sort of troll post?

Edited by Big Turk

I hated to see Phillips leave he did so well the first time around but he earned the money he got for the contract with the Cardinals & i was so happy to here that the Bills got him back & although his sack numbers aren't up there yet i think they will be & he is just a great player in this D scheme .

I hope they can get him to play out his career here & he can stay fairly healthy he is a great asset to have & the guy is a massive presence in the middle of the line which helps every one to free them selves up to make more tackles !! 

I didn't realize that Daquan was doing so well i thought he was doing good but didn't realize he's that good i ho[e they can keep those guys around for a while we need those big men to make this D even better than it was last year .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.