Bye Week: Excitement or Snooze?

Mark Vader

I fully expect a snooze. However, there is one move that would be sensible to me this week. It would involve the Bills and Giants making a trade involving a RB. But not how you think.

I would not be shocked to see Moss moved to the Giants for a day 3 pick (6th or 7th). Reasons are pretty basic.

- Obviously Giants Coach and GM are familiar with Moss

- Barkley is having a pretty bad shoulder issue he is playing through. They have nothing good behind him should he miss time or need work load reduced. Matt Breida is the back up there and he looks even worse than he did for us last year. 

- Being made inactive for the KC game shows that while it may have been matchup specific that the Bills view Moss as someone whose "production" is easily replaced. 

- Duke Johnson is on our PS and would be (in my opinion) an upgrade on gameday if needed.

- Beane likes to get some late round value for players he can do without to improve draft day flexibility.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Game replay is tonight, you'll change your opinion if you rewatch it.

Edmunds solo tackles, going off memory:

1. Play 1 - Edmunds put a hard hit on CEH on the sideline

2. Chiefs backed up on 3rd down (after we failed on 4th and goal): Edmunds makes an athletic tackle to keep the Chiefs at 4th and inches/force a punt.

3. Later 3rd quarter: Edmunds makes a great read on a TE screen, saving at least 10 yards.

Sure there are more, point is you're wrong.

I just watched the all-22 view of the game and I can confirm Tremaine did play a pretty good game as well as the defensive unit as a whole for that matter.  Aside from a few costly penalties there really wasn't much to fault anywhere.  

There were only 3 or 4 times Mahomes really threw in his direction.  The one to McKinnon when the Chiefs were pinned deep, I thought Edmunds could have been a step quicker but the Chiefs got a lousy spot and ended up punting anyway.  Another 8 yrd pass to Kelsey over the middle Tremaine was right there on him for quick tackle.  Right after that he did give up one to Kelce for 20 or so yards when he was trying to read Mahomes and got too far underneath on the post route.  

Aside from that, Edmunds had the nice open field tackle on Chiefs opening drive as you mentioned,  and a good QB pressure early in the second that helped lead to a punt.  No big splash plays but he really was covering his zones/man well and just taking away the middle of the field for the most part.  

The big gainer to Smith Schuster was just a nicely designed play where the Chiefs had two lined up wide right and Benford got picked right off the line allowing Juju to get wide open on the quick slant.  Edmunds might have been coming on a blitz that play as Schuster was already behind him when Mahomes thew the ball.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

I just watched the all-22 view of the game and I can confirm Tremaine did play a pretty good game as well as the defensive unit as a whole for that matter.  Aside from a few costly penalties there really wasn't much to fault anywhere.  

There were only 3 or 4 times Mahomes really threw in his direction.  The one to McKinnon when the Chiefs were pinned deep, I thought Edmunds could have been a step quicker but the Chiefs got a lousy spot and ended up punting anyway.  Another 8 yrd pass to Kelsey over the middle Tremaine was right there on him for quick tackle.  Right after that he did give up one to Kelce for 20 or so yards when he was trying to read Mahomes and got too far underneath on the post route.  

Aside from that, Edmunds had the nice open field tackle on Chiefs opening drive as you mentioned,  and a good QB pressure early in the second that helped lead to a punt.  No big splash plays but he really was covering his zones/man well and just taking away the middle of the field for the most part.  

The big gainer to Smith Schuster was just a nicely designed play where the Chiefs had two lined up wide right and Benford got picked right off the line allowing Juju to get wide open on the quick slant.  Edmunds might have been coming on a blitz that play as Schuster was already behind him when Mahomes thew the ball.  

Great analysis! 

I really thought the defense communicated well, mixed up coverages/looks, and did a solid job shutting down the run game.  Dline additions really showed up this week.

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

big move(s).  When White comes back, you then have to shuffle the other guys who have played great in his absence.  Really, co-MVP though the first half of the year (with Allen) has to be the secondary.  Way to step up by the rookies and Jackson getting even better with White and Hyde out, going against some great offenses.  (although you could also argue Miller, or the DL that has stopped the run and helped the LBs.  This is how a team that wins a Super Bowl roles.  Lets get it done!!!) 

huh??  

Won't be quiet when SU beats Clemson :)

The Chiefs play the 49ers and the Dolphins play the Steelers... if they both lose that would be exciting!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lost said:

They were all assists.  Also leading in tackles on a given week could simply be an indicator that you're consistently getting picked apart in pass coverage.  

If you know enough to look at a box score you should know enough to look and see Edmunds tackles were split evenly between solo tackles (5) and assists (5).

In solo tackles he was second to safety Damar Hamlin (7)

Edited by Beck Water

11 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Chiefs play the 49ers and the Dolphins play the Steelers... if they both lose that would be exciting!

Add to your list the Jets losing to the Broncos and the Pats losing to the Bears. I don't have much hope the Bears win.

It’s an interesting question and reminds me of the scene in the movie Miracle with Herb Brooks bringing in a kid with talent but who had not been there since the jump.    They tell Herbie to send the kid packing because they don’t need him and they are already the group that can get it done.   

Not entirely sure that wasn’t Hollywood adding drama to an already incredibly awesome story but this may be the situation with the Bills yeah?

Go Bills!

22 hours ago, Lost said:

I dunno but speaking of extensions, I can't decide if I'd rather see the Bills extend Poyer or Edmunds assuming there's no way to keep them both.   Poyer is an easy pick for what he's bringing to the team right now but he's got 7 years on Edmunds.   Tremaine started off the season great but he was pretty quiet against KC.  I only heard his name once during that game and that was Tony Romo simply mentioning that he was on the field.  

Not trying to be cold after what Poyer did but you honestly got to let the season play out. A ton can happen between now and the end of the season. Nfl is a heartless business. Poyer is being a warrior but the injuries have to be a very real part of do you give him another big money deal. Besides qbs, very rarely do injuries get better after you turn 30.  Also, Edmunds (who the bills might be more willing to pay because of his age and “potential”) still has to prove he can hold up against the run throughout the season.

these guys aren’t going anywhere so there is no rush. Also, with the money Allen is going to make, there are going to be some good players we have to let good. It sucks but that’s the reality of the nfl. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.