Do we all see what Daboll is able to do with a real NFL running back?

FireChans

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

So Dabs was killed here, often, about the lack of running game when he was out OC. Of course, he had Butterfingers Singles and Cement Block Moss at RB.

Now he goes to NY, and he gets a quality RB like Barkley (who isn’t even THAT quality considering his last few season after a great rookie campaign) and BAM. Leading rusher in the NFL. Career resurgence.

So maybe, just maybe, our lack of RB production wasn’t because of Daboll or Dorsey. And maybe our GM knows this which is why we have been dumping mid round picks to try to find SOMEONE decent at RB for the last 4 years. 

Well that’s a take and a half.

When you want to look at why your run game isn’t as prolific, there are several reasons but usually starts with your OL. Second, when you have Allen you’re doing something wrong when you’re running more often than not. But if you’re looking for more consistently higher yards/carry numbers look no further than your front 5. Singletary is a damn fine RB; not irreplaceable but very much not the “problem.” The blocking schemes also very much matter, zone v man, and what each lineman is familiar with. 

On that note, we’re sorely overdue for a first round OL pick, especially IOL/C. Would really like to see us go that way this year and in FA.

Edit: To add in reference to Daboll, I felt his knock wasn’t so much his lack of a developed run scheme/book, but was instead with the use of it and poor playcall timing that took us out of certain key drives, and hurt us in situations where we needed to better control pace and clock management. 

Edited by ctk232

4 hours ago, Bill Lewes said:

exactly --- we do what we do, they do what they do ... not exactly proof that Barkley is great and Daboll's a genius

sure, straight up, I'd take Barkley -- but you're trying to say Barkley/Daboll and the Giant's O is something we should want.   Seriously? 

I didn't say a word other than show you are comparing a large amount of carries vs a handful. I personally believe the Bills would blow the Giants out easily.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You are right about one thing in this post. The offense would not go through Barkley. However…don’t think for one second that the threat of Barkley wouldn’t open up much more with the offense. 

If they had Allen as the QB I would agree....

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Let me ask you a question.

If you had Barkley and Jones as your two main offensive players, which player would YOU rather have with the ball in their hands?

Pretty sure if he has a QB like Allen the offense wouldn't be going through Barkley.

He is doing it out of necessity.

When will people understand the Bills simply pay lip service to the running game and then put the ball in Allen's hand?

You should change the title to "See what you do when you have a great RB and no QB?"

Someone pin this post.  👏

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why? That post is terrible.

Brandon Beane has been trying to get a good RB for 4 years. 

No this thread is terrible.  

When we didnt have a QB and we tried to be a running team to mask a bad QB when we had Taylor McD's first year here...all of you melted down, called McD conservative, said he was a mistake and needed to fired so we could hire an offensive minded coach.

Now Daboll leaves, has a weak QB and runs his offense through one of the best RB's in the league when healthy and all of a sudden you all want to change your tune.  

You know full well that if Josh Allen was the QB for the NYG with Diggs and Davis at WR they would be a pass first team.  So no offense, but this thread is terrible and lacks any real world context.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

No this thread is terrible.  

When we didnt have a QB and we tried to be a running team to mask a bad QB when we had Taylor McD's first year here...all of you melted down, called McD conservative, said he was a mistake and needed to fired so we could hire an offensive minded coach.

Now Daboll leaves, has a weak QB and runs his offense through one of the best RB's in the league when healthy and all of a sudden you all want to change your tune.  

You know full well that if Josh Allen was the QB for the NYG with Diggs and Davis at WR they would be a pass first team.  So no offense, but this thread is terrible and lacks any real world context.

No man, you should re-read the OP. It’s about “getting the running game going.”

You used to cry up and down about how Daboll couldn’t get the running game going with Cement Shoes Moss. “Back of the OG for 1 yard.”

Now Daboll has a good running back and they have a good rushing offense. Not that hard to understand.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, FireChans said:

No man, you should re-read the OP. It’s about “getting the running game going.”

You used to cry up and down about how Daboll couldn’t get the running game going with Cement Shoes Moss. “Back of the OG for 1 yard.”

Now Daboll has a good running back and they have a good rushing offense. Not that hard to understand.

The Bills have the worst run block win % (65%) in the entire league.  (Ranked 32nd)

But keep thinking Barkley on this team makes a huge difference.

We aren't getting him anyway, so you might as drop it and actually post about this team, not someone else's.

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The Bills have the worst run block win % (65%) in the entire league.  (Ranked 32nd)

But keep thinking Barkley on this team makes a huge difference.

We aren't getting him anyway, so you might as drop it and actually post about this team, not someone else's.

I posted about our bum RBs. 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, Mango said:

I do think the Bills have a plan of going IOL early and often in the 2023 draft. For whatever reason we just seem to not be able to get it right the way we have been other position groups. 

Ive been wanting the Bills to draft an IOL the last 2 drafts so I hope you're right.  Hopefully a C/G who can likely start as a rookie.  I think they'll bring back Boettger and possibly Hart.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.