Favorite Beer?

I can't recall ever havign a skunky beer from a can.

I recall Heinekens fro ma bottle  always seemed skunky, they have improved over the years.

336180[/snapback]

Rolling Rock too.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonderful - so we have scientific evidence to go forward with. i will sleep well knowing this - the skunk question is over. i am on pabst # 55555555555555555! where is my SF buddy

sing the song again we love pabst, adn it loves ussssssssssssssssss

twobills drive all sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:w00t::blink::blush::D;);)

Todd...you read my mind,,(doesn't take much )  a local place has both of these on tap so we flip a coin for the evenings beverage....

Killians is gaining popularity too....

Molson Golden when I am in WNY

335757[/snapback]

Count me among those that likes Killians but Labatts Blue ranks a close second.

indeed, beer in a can NEVER gets skunked.  neither does beer in a dark glass bottle.  do we have any scientist on the board with glasses as thick as bullet proof glass who can figure this out for us?

336265[/snapback]

If the UNC linky didn't say so, you are correct Roscoe. "Skunking" is caused by exposure of beer to UV light. You can counter it with preservatives, [cough, Corona], but that adds another dimension of taste problems.

Forgot to add. I recommend trying Magic Hat beers. They are out of Burlington, VT. I know you can get their stuff at Beers of the World and I think Colony in Buffalo carries their stuff. All their offereings are good, but the No. 9 is great on a hot summer day.

don't quote me on this, but what you have said, is wrong.  skunking does not happen because of temperature changes.  that is an old wives tale...

research it

336044[/snapback]

Once a beer is cold it should remain cold, this is true. But the skunk flavor comes from the wavelength of light that is allowed to pass through green or clear bottles.

Warsteiner draft - preferably drunk in the country of origin.

Stella Artois - likewise - Leuven is a sweet little Belgian town.

I could be a beer snob, but I'm not.

Cold and wet is my preferred brand of beer.

But I have to say that the Monks in Munich got it right the first time when they began messing with this stuff: Water, Hops, Malted Barley, and yeast.

Add anything else and it become sour wizz if you have any taste buds left in your mouth.

"Beer is proof that God loves us!" Ben Franklin

"Bud is proof that God has a bad sense of humor" Nanker

Stella Artois

336516[/snapback]

Excellent.

My favorite widely available: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Other favorites:

Saranac Pilsner (when it can be found)

Brooklyn Pilsner

Another great one (though pricey): Spatan

Anyone ever have Le Fin du Monde by Unibroue? It's great. But, be warned, it has twice the typical alcohol content for beer, almost as much as some white wine (9%).

Red Stripe is another good one. It's my favorite bottled beer. I still have to stick with Stella Artois as my favorite beer though, but only on draft, bottled Stella just doesn't have the same quality and taste as it does on draft.

yeah, stella is excellent. i concur.

the belgians are terrific beer makers. why is this? research needed... where are the board scientists...

Red Stripe is another good one. It's my favorite bottled beer. I still have to stick with Stella Artois as my favorite beer though, but only on draft, bottled Stella just doesn't have the same quality and taste as it does on draft.

336820[/snapback]

yeah, stella is excellent.  i concur.

the belgians are terrific beer makers.  why is this?    research needed... where are the board scientists...

336833[/snapback]

Basically the difference in the Belgian beers is the yeast strains employed that give them their characteristic spicy flavor profile. There are a lot of other factors, but those yeast strains are the biggest difference maker. Belgium is the disneyland of the beer world.

ha. lol. move in with the in-laws? yikes.

pabst is indeed a man's/woman's drink. after you dig a hole, or cut down a tree, or move a pallet of rocks or get into an alley fight or get into a car accident or have an oral fight fight with your wife/ husband you pop open a cold can of pabst and reflect upon all that is good in life. the can is simply, classic and the taste - consistant.

sing along, pabst loves us and we love pabst...

Couldn't agree more..

Pabst is a great beer for right after you've cut the lawn, raked the lawn, been forced to help one of your in-laws move...

336840[/snapback]

ha. lol.  move in with the in-laws?  yikes.

pabst is indeed a man's/woman's drink.  after you dig a hole, or cut down a tree, or move a pallet of rocks or get into an alley fight or get into a car accident or have an oral fight fight with your wife/ husband you pop open a cold can of pabst and reflect upon all that is good in life.  the can is simply, classic and the taste - consistant.

sing along, pabst loves us and we love pabst...

336849[/snapback]

Hehe.. May it never come to that for any of us..

Basically the difference in the Belgian beers is the yeast strains employed that give them their characteristic spicy flavor profile.  There are a lot of other factors, but those yeast strains are the biggest difference maker.  Belgium is the disneyland of the beer world.

336844[/snapback]

Belgium beers are fantastic! I was in Europe recently and hit the trifecta of German beers, Czech beers and Belgium beers. Yummy!